Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Best hitch for 6.5' bed?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm just looking for advice on the best hitch for my application? I have a Jayco 29.5BHDS on order and the dealer is trying to sell me on the Reese manual slider hitch. I know nothing about fifth wheel hitches so any feedback will be appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Lots of info to absorb as you get started.

First off, what type truck body do you have? If it is a short bed, 6.5' you will likely need a slider and a extended pin on the camper. The Reese slider is tried and true. I have the same hitch w/o the slider option.

Knowing the hitch/unhitch procedures is key to using any type hitch.

I am sure you will get many other opinions and they may all be someone's favorite.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

This is an area that you will get many, many opinions. A Reese manual slider is a very good unit. The problem with the manual slider is that you need to remember to reset it when you are going to make a extreme angle backing turn. The most full proof setups are the automatic sliders. They work off a cam that is placed on your fifth wheel called a capture plate. Pullrite makes automatics as well as others.
There is some question if you need a slider at all. Most fifth wheels and all recent Jaycos that I'm aware of have made the noses of the fifth wheels with indents made in them to help accommodate turns on short bed trucks without the use of sliders. Thats not to say that you could make full 90 degree turns in any condition and be assured of not "kissing" the truck with your camper. In my experience, its very rare to make a full 90 degree turn while backing.
I have a 6.75' Ford bed and use a pullrite automatic slider which I'm convinced I really don't need. I'm going to replace that with another Ford with the same bed and going to replace with an Andersen ultimate which has no slide at all.
As Norty1 said, the length of your bed has a lot to do with your needs. If you want absolute guarantee's, go with an automatic slider. But for no more times then you need it and you have presence of mind to move the slide, any adjustable slide will get the job done.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

Best hitch for 6.5' bed?

If you have a 6.5' bed you really shouldn't need a slider but it won't hurt you (other than a couple hundred bucks) to have.

I have a Reese manual slider and have never had to use it in 2yrs. I have been from Maine to Key West and Michigan and back. We routinely go in to towns and cities with it and no issues. Planning your turns before you make them and setting up your back properly will take most of the stress and guess out of it.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

I too have the Reese manual slider but haven't needed it yet. I can get to roughly 75* - 80* when backing before the cap gets a little too close for comfort.

Something to consider when deciding manual vs. auto is the weight of the hitch. When researching them before we purchased I found that the auto were quite a bit heavier.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

Look very close at the Andersen ultimate. They have a setback of 4 inches total that should give adequate clearance under nearly all situations. And it is about $700 and only weighs 35 lb.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the input guys.. After doing some research I'm leaning towards the Pullrite Superglide with it's automatic slide .. One less thing to worry about.
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Please keep us posted on your opinion of the Pull-rite.

My first truck was used and already had the Reese setup. I liked it so much that I bought a new one next truck but there are many good ones to pick from.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

The one thing that you need to know with a pullrite is that you need to be within 10 degrees of straight when you hook up. The cam action will twist the head of the hitch if you are not backing into the hitch straight.
As I said previously, I am switching to an Andersem ultimate and have a 16000 lb. pullrite for sale if you are interested.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

I'm brand new to 5'er, and I just used a new Pull-Rite Superglide to pull my Jayco North Point 377RLBH home. No problems at all with a sharp turn, backing it onto my side yard. Plenty of clearance. No "chucking" or bumping on 230 mile ride home from dealer.

Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote