Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarrett View Post
I'm relatively new to trailering. I tow a Jayco Hummingbird RB17 with a 2017 GMC Acadia Denalia which has a tow package. I usually tow in Tow Mode. My question is - should I have a brake controller installed or can i rely on the electric trailer brakes?
I checked the 2017 Arcadia owners manual, and other forums, and there is no factory trailer brake controller on them. You will need to have an aftermarket controller installed, and from what I've read, you really should have it professionally installed. There is a fuse under the hood to power a controller, but the wires to it aren't connected. The manual does mention "blunt cut" wires under the dash, above the parking brake that need to be connected to the new controller.

Edit: If you don't have an owners manual, here it is, and the trailer section is on pages 272 to 279.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...017-acadia.pdf

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #22

Actually on p 279 the paragraph says your vehicle does NOT have a brake controller. Go get one .

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #23

So maybe my experience can help you. I see people talking about aftermarket BCs. Nothing wrong with that. My experience was this, my Dodge RAM did not come with a brake controller, however it was prewired at the factory for one. So I was able to by the OEM components and install myself. And if you're a do-it-yourselfer like I am (I also had to buy an OBD programing module and the software to accompany it) you can literally save yourself several hundred dollars by doing it that way. again, keep in mind, that at least with my vehicle, it wasn't just a matter of plug and play, I actually had to go in and program the vehilce with the OBD stuff to turn on the features. Youtube is a GREAT help with this stuff.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #24

Finding the Brake Controller

When I look for a new tow vehicle, suburban or tahoe, I look for the + and - symbols on a couple of buttons. Either in front of the left knee or on turn signal stock. In easy reach of the driver. The dealer will tell you if you have the brake controller, too.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Also if it doesn't have the factory controller do the GM cars still need a wire/fuse added in the fuse box under the hood. I ask as when I put my daughter's controller in her 2010 Tahoe I remember doing something but it's been a long time ago
Here are your answers https://www.acadiaforum.net/threads/...-wiring.17161/
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
So maybe my experience can help you. I see people talking about aftermarket BCs. Nothing wrong with that. My experience was this, my Dodge RAM did not come with a brake controller, however it was prewired at the factory for one. So I was able to by the OEM components and install myself. And if you're a do-it-yourselfer like I am (I also had to buy an OBD programing module and the software to accompany it) you can literally save yourself several hundred dollars by doing it that way. again, keep in mind, that at least with my vehicle, it wasn't just a matter of plug and play, I actually had to go in and program the vehilce with the OBD stuff to turn on the features. Youtube is a GREAT help with this stuff.
GM Owners do not have that luxury because GM Corporate will not give out the code to program the Body Control Module to add it if it did not come from the factory. They had too many owners buying a Work Truck and then upgrading to upper trim levels. They put a stop to that after awhile. Ain’t happening.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #27

Check your local laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarrett View Post
I'm relatively new to trailering. I tow a Jayco Hummingbird RB17 with a 2017 GMC Acadia Denalia which has a tow package. I usually tow in Tow Mode. My question is - should I have a brake controller installed or can i rely on the electric trailer brakes?
In my home state, if you tow a trailer weighing 3000 lbs or more, you must have brakes by law. Check the state laws for any state you pass through. Or, just hook the brakes up. I think you'll find that the thing tows a bit better with brakes back there anyway.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #28

This might be an option for you as well. I have used this on my large tandem cargo trailer and really am happy with it. https://www.etrailer.com/p-C51180.ht...hhmodel=Acadia
Albro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:47 AM   #29

That's a shame. I don't own a GM product though thank God. Thankful I was able to do mine and save hundreds. And OEM parts to boot. Lucked out I guess
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #30

Brake Controller

As it has been said, you need a controller to actuate the brakes on the trailer, either one that came as part of the vehicle's tow package or an aftermarket controller. Some states may require trailer brakes, like Maine, which requires controlled brakes on trailers over 3000 pounds.
We loved our Hummingbird 17RK, but have since traded for a '21 Jay Feather Micro 166FBS. We found that we wanted a dry bath.

HomeBaseMaine
2021 JayFeather Micro 166FBS
2019 Nissan Titan 4x4
HomeBaseMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #31

Brake controller

Poohbear,
The extra wire and fuse are only needed if the factory wiring under the dash isn't included for the controller hook up. If the wiring plug is there, it should already be powered and fused.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #32

Yes your electric breaks do not work unless you have one or install one. Think about it if your breaks on the truck will heat up and fail if your trailer brakes are not working. You will stop quicker and if in an accident happens and no trailer breaks, your insurance will not cover the accident.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #33

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakeco...n%20stop%20too.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote