Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Can someone check my towing assumptions?

This is sort of a follow-up to my prior thread on tow vehicles. We've pretty well settled on a Dodge Durango with 6,200# "towing capacity."

I'm assuming that means 6,200# in addition to the vehicle itself. Is that accurate? So, using theoretical weights, I'm assuming I need the following to be less than 6,200#.

(1) Unloaded vehicle weight; (2) Cargo; (3) Passengers; (4) Hitch weight

Is it correct to add the hitch weight, or is that included in the Unloaded Vehicle Weight?

I've allowed 700# for passengers (self, wife, 4 kids)

If I add the hitch weight to the Unloaded Vehicle Weight, then I figure the Durano enables me to SAFELY pull the following Jayco Sport hybrids - X17C, X17Z, X18D, X20E. I calcuate a few other hyrdids aroud 6,100# and that seems to close for comfort.

If I DON'T add the hitch weight, then the X23F, X19H, and X23B are also feasible.

Have I made any errors in my assumptions? Dealers seem to be a bit generous when pairing trailers with tow vehicles and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thanks!
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Site Team

I`m assuming when you say"unloaded vehicle weight" you are talking about the trailer. The hitch weight would not be included in the empty weight of the trailer. Various hitch systems will differ in weight. So the weight of the hitch system would be added to the total.

What should be considered in the total weight that you will be towing:

Weight of trailer when loaded for camping. This includes any water you may carry.
Passengers
Any cargo in the truck
Any options added to the truck after manufacture
And yes, the weight of the hitch system itself

Now if you are talking about tongue weight when you say hitch weight that does not subtract from the tow rating numbers. What you are watching then is the GVWR on the Durango and payload that the Durango can carry, not pull. Then you have to add up these:

Tongue weight of trailer loaded for camping
Passengers + driver
Cargo in the truck
Any added options
hitch system

Here is a link that somewhat explains these things
http://jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3169

Perhaps our buddy Rustic Eagle will chime in, he explains this stuff much better then me!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

raising4daughters-- I have a 19h and on the way out of town 'going on vaca for 2 weeks, loaded with food ,assorted liquid refreshments, clothing , fire wood ( sh don't tell the wood police) etc NO WATER, I weighed in at 5200 lbs plus the truck. Hope that helps with the numbers. Larry
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #4

Thanks Crabman - I used the term "Hitch Weight" without really knowing what it meant. Being a popup guy, hitch and tongue were synomyms to me; thanks for helping me understand.

Here's the spec sheet for the X20E. http://www.jayco.com/php/products/fl...31&mod_id=1296

Jayco appears to add the Unloaded Vehicle Weight to the Cargo Weight to come up with the Gross Vehicle Weight. For the X20E, thats 3,665 + 1,085 = 4,750 lbs (assuming fully loaded w/cargo).

But, based on what you're saying, I would add the 440# to the 4,750 to come up with 5,190 for the weight of the fully loaded trailer and hitch system.

Assuming no options and that we throw ALL our gear into trailer, then I just add our passenger weight (for us, 700-800 lbs) to get about 5,800 - 5,900 lbs, very close to the 6,200 lb. towing capacity for the Durango. So I'm concluding the X20E is too big for the Durango and that I'd have to look at something lighter or get the Durango with the V8 and 7,400 towing capacity.

Make sense?
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Team

It is true that tongue weight and hitch weight are the same. The 440 lbs that Jayco uses in their specs is "dry hitch weight" or "empty hitch weight". Loaded hitch weight will be more. You do not add the 440 to the 4750, perhaps I confused you. The hitch or tongue weight is just that- what the tongue weighs if a scale was placed under the tongue jack. This is also the amount of weight that would be placed on the receiver hitch of your Durango.

When you add up the Gross weight of the trailer, 4750 lbs and the passengers, 800, you get 5550 lbs, so there is some wiggle room and that truck may work for the X20E. Of course The V8 version would be better!

Now here is where I may have confused you. When I said consider the weight of the hitch system in your totals, I meant the Weight distributing hitch and sway control (about 50-80 pounds), not the tongue or hitch weight. Sorry about that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Raising4daughters,

In support of what Lee has provided thus far....., here is another approach in acquiring similar results that Lee presented....;

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
snip.........I'm assuming that means 6,200# in addition to the vehicle itself. Is that accurate?.......
Well, sorta, at least when you are working with the TV's GCWR. The Tow Rating of 6,200lbs is based on the manufacturer's specified 'curb weight" of the same base model which only includes a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. The actual combined weights of the TV's options, passengers, and cargo must be subtracted from the 6,200lbs to get the actual towing capacity for your particular TV.

As Lee inferred, be careful when using Jayco's publicized weights, because working with dry or unloaded weights can be mis-leading. When working with weights of a TT, HTT, etc., always think in terms of loaded weights......, because no one tows an empty HTT.

To be more specific, the X20E has a publicized GVWR of 4,750lbs, UVW of 3,665lbs, and a dry hitch of 440lbs. Now, what is missing is the actual "ship weight" from Jayco and this shows up on a sticker placed on the unit. Lets assume the "ship weight" of the X20E to be 3,800lbs as the unit sits on the RV dealers lot. Now you can add the weight of the battery (installed by dealer), dealer options (if any), and your "stuff" (cargo, fluids, etc.) to get the "loaded" weight (which can't exceed the HTT GVWR).

Just for grins, lets now assume that your "loaded" HTT weighs 4,200lbs (conservative). RV and WDH manufactures require the "loaded" tongue weight to be 10% to 15% of the "loaded" HTT weight (or PUP, TT, etc.). Based on a 4,200lb loaded HTT weight your desired loaded tongue weight would be 420lbs to 630lbs..

HTT loaded tongue weight: This is the fun part, because this weight has to fall within your TV's GVWR. So, if you were to take your "loaded" TV (passengers, cargo, etc.) to a local CAT scale and weigh it, subtract this CAT weight from your TV's GVWR, the remaining weight is what you have left for the HTT tongue weight and WDH weight (this process takes the guess work out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
snip........So I'm concluding the X20E is too big for the Durango.......snip
IMO I think it's doable, all depends on how you load the TV and HTT. Yes, the V-8 upgrade would provide you with some enhanced TV drivetrain and towing considerations.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote