Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #1

Considering the Jayco SLX174BH...need tow vehicle advice

Hi,

Currently I drive a 2008 Honda Ridgeline with 100k miles on it. The vehicle is well maintained and in good shape. Right now we have a 1999 Jayco 10' popup that has served us well. This Summer we are going to be taking a 18 day trip traveling from Wisconsin to Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons. Round trip I would imagine I will end up putting on close to 3,000 miles.

As the trip gets closer, we have started thinking about the possibility of upgrading our camper to a hard side travel trailer. We have been looking at the Jayco SLX174BH. I know that the trailer is somewhere around 3,000 lbs.

Here's my concern: My Ridgeline has a towing capacity of 5,000 Lbs. / hitch weight of 600 Lbs. I know the "technically" I can pull the trailer...But is it a good idea? Besides our trailer and gear, it is just my wife and I and our 8 year old son (under 400 lbs of people weight). I guess I'm looking at this from a "vehicle abuse" standpoint. If I were buying the trailer to go camping in my home state I wouldn't be as concerned. I'm more concerned about taking that setup 3,000 miles. A lot of the drive is fairly flat, but we will end up in the mountains.

Looking for advice!

Thanks.
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Being close to your weight limits can make for a stressful drive, especially in the mountains. But it can be done. Before I knew better, I towed a pop-up all over with a little 4 cylinder Tacoma. I'm sure I was over my cargo weight with that rig. Thats just my .02 cents.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

My jeep Grand Cherokee has a 3.6 and a tow of 6000. We took it Illinois to multiple central Colorado parks and had no real problem.

Out 195RB empty is 3,000. The highest pass we crossed was 11,800 feet.

Your mileage will go down over the popup due to increased wind drag.

If you have some apprehension with your truck, why not take a long weekend drive and test it out? If you still feel uncomfortable and can afford it, get a bigger truck.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The SLX174BH tongue weight will be about 525lbs. (3500lbs * .15). That tongue weight, as well as all of the people and gear in your truck's cab and bed, is part of your Ridgeline's PAYLOAD capacity. There should be a sticker on the driver's door frame the will show your truck's PAYLOAD with the factory options.

You'll also need to research which weight distribution hitch and anti-sway to buy. You'll need to have both with the bigger, and longer, trailer.

You'll also need to consider newer shock absorbers. At 100,000mi, I'm betting yours will need it.

And you'll need to keep your rear tires inflated to the maximum listed on the tire sidewall. That reduces sidewall flex which keeps tire temps lower and helps reduce sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote