Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Do I still need WDH?

I was previously towing with '02 Suburban 1500 for our '16 Whitehawk with GVWR 6500lbs and the dealer set us up with an Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control. It was working as intended with our 1500 burb and learned a lot on how WDH works and how to properly set it up and tweaked the setting based on our different camping loads.

We upgraded the TV to a RAM 2500 CTD and still will be using the same E2 WDH. Followed again the setup procedure as before, level trailer, level TV adjust hitch ball to the appropriate height in relation to the height of the coupler. Measure front fender unloaded, hitched w/o WD, and then hitched w/ WD.

All is well except the front fender barely moved up from unloaded (just a 1/4 of an inch) when measuring coupled but without WDH.

I do know that to get accurate is to go to CAT scales and get weighed. Just curious on what others do when the front end barely gets unloaded when towing.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

Congrats on the new tv!!!

First thing to check is your new trucks receiver hitch rating. Is it de-rated at all if you use the reducer for the hitch? If over the hitch rating for weight carrying, use the wdh. If your under the rating, then it's up to you. You still will have some benefits from using the wdh, including the integrated away control of the E2.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

6500 lbs, you don't NEED a WDH with the Ram. You might want to still use it, even if just for the sway control.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Congrats on the new tv!!!

First thing to check is your new trucks receiver hitch rating. Is it de-rated at all if you use the reducer for the hitch? If over the hitch rating for weight carrying, use the wdh. If your under the rating, then it's up to you. You still will have some benefits from using the wdh, including the integrated away control of the E2.
Good point on the receiver rating. I have to double check that. I know i could benefit on the sway control but the way E2's sway control works by putting tension on the Weight Distribution bars that creates friction on the L brackets. I guess i could just reduce the ball hitch head angle.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #5

Mtb,

While you may not end up with as much tension on the wd bars which would obviously be less sway control, some sway control should be better than none.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Mtb,

While you may not end up with as much tension on the wd bars which would obviously be less sway control, some sway control should be better than none.
Thanks.. Gonna give it a shot next weekend and see how she does. Can't wait to put something behind that cummins and see what all that rave reviews is about.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb4life View Post
snip..... All is well except the front fender barely moved up from unloaded (just a 1/4 of an inch) when measuring coupled but without WDH.......snip
I agree not much of a rise, but that's under static conditions. Even with the lighter loaded TT tongue weights a 3/4 ton TV can experience some degree of "porpoising" in less then ideal towing conditions without the use of a WDH.

One of the benefits of a WDH is that it will minimize the fluctuation of that static 1/4" while in-tow.

Heck, even with my WDH dialed-in some sections of our wonderful freeway system gets my 2500HD initiating minor porpoising events...., drives me crazy!

As mentioned, having the integrated sway control is an added bonus.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

Another vote for keep the using the WDH.

I'm moving up from towing with a Toyota Tacoma to a Ford F350. I will be recalibrating my WDH for the different tow height. But will continue to use it.

Keeping the pressure on the front end as close to the same when towing or not makes life just that more pleasant.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote