Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #1

EQ Hitch set up - check my numbers

I've got an '03 Ford F350. We had a Jayco Kiwi 23B that weighed about 4500, never used an EQ hitch, and it towed like a dream, never knew it was there. We upgraded to a Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL, use a Fastway e2 hitch, and the front has been a little light in steering. I just totally rebuilt the front suspension and steering, and it even seems a little lighter, as in the truck wants to wander - especially in heavy headwind. I think the tightness and newness has something to do with it, as it is very responsive now compared to what it was.
I want to put a little more EQ in the hitch for better steering, but don't want to go the wrong way in over-EQing it. It was set up last year by the dealer and a very trusted tech.

Weight - Loaded trailer is 6940. Trailer axles when hitched to truck is 5900.
Tongue (by math) is 1040, right at 15.0%. The hitch manual says 1000 max.

Truck height measurements (trailer level)
Front fender right above the axle - 38.25 no trailer - up 1/4" at 38.5 with trailer - 38.5 w/EQ (same)
Rear fender right above axle - 42.25 no trailer - down 2" at 40.25 with trailer - 40.75 w/EQ (1/2" higher)

First question: The height measurements say I'm good in the front, and the owner's guide says don't lower the front any further. Should I add more eq to try to raise the back??

Next question: Front axle weight without EQ is 3940 pounds. Front axle weight with EQ is 4200 pounds. That's 260 pounds of downforce. Does that mean my tongue weight with the EQ hooked up is now 780 pounds, at 11.7%? If that is the case, I don't think it would be good to get that any lighter.

We just put 3,500 towing miles on in the past month, and the steering seemed a little better coming home on the last trip - but still feels a little light to me.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tom51,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom51 View Post
snip.....First question: The height measurements say I'm good in the front, and the owner's guide says don't lower the front any further. Should I add more eq to try to raise the back??
I wouldn't...., the main design function of the WDH is to address the integrity of the TV's front suspension, not the rear. It's normal after a proper WDH adjustment for most TV's to experience a 1" - 2" rear squat. Based on your TV's suspension weight results (noted below) applying more WD force will compromise your TV's front suspension integrity.

NOTE: The "measurement process" gets one in the ballpark for most TV front suspension/WDH adjustments..., the CAT Scale is much more accurate because the "weight process" tells us the real story for TV front suspension/WDH adjustments.

Quote:
snip....Next question: Front axle weight without EQ is 3940 pounds. Front axle weight with EQ is 4200 pounds......snip
Ideally one would want to adjust the WDH so the TV's front suspension weight when "hitched" is as close to it's "unhitched" weight as possible...., thus returning the TV's front suspension back to it's original steering/braking/handling characteristics. I assume the 3,940b weight is with the TV "unhitched".

Quote:
snip....That's 260 pounds of downforce. Does that mean my tongue weight with the EQ hooked up is now 780 pounds, at 11.7%?....snip
No......, the loaded tongue weight placed on the hitch ball remains fairly constant, the WDH is distributing the added weight off the TV's rear axle which is the result of (effect of) the tongue weight being placed on the hitch ball. Due to the physics of the WDH there is very little tongue weight taken off the actual hitch ball. The physics plays also playa a roll in removing some minor weight off the TV's rear axle and distributing it the the TT axles.

For additional reference, the following CAT Scale "how-to" may provide some additional set-up guidance:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Other factors that can influence TV/TT handling are tire rating, tire pressure, shocks, TT nose high, etc..

I do agree with the 27DSRL a 15% loaded tongue weight (of gross weight) is desirable, especially in less then ideal towing conditions.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

I experienced the same phenomenon with my setup. I adjusted the bars one hole and felt much better about the driving characteristics with a little extra weight returned to the front. I double checked the weights and was under gross on all axles so that's where it stayed.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

Just food for thought.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. BTW, the front axle weights I noted are both with the trailer hitched. 3940 pounds without the WD, 4200 pounds with the WD. I'll weight the front end with no trailer hitched one of these days.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......I'll weight the front end with no trailer hitched one of these days.
Thanks for the follow-up and clarification.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote