Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #41

Towing package

I agree that it seems a little high for a towing package.
On the other hand you can spend a lot more trying to build your own towing package and then be disappointed in your rig.
Builder Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #42

Not even considering price, if you want a pickup for driving as your car, you don't need tow package. If you are going to tow ANYTHING you need tow package. over 50 years of towing lessons learned to share.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #43

It seems everyone is dismissing the mileage difference. The more expensive truck has 18,386 LESS miles than the cheaper truck. Run this through KBB. While they are selling it on the high side of KBB's estimate, keep in mind that these are also 2 different dealers.

The cheaper one is well below the KBB estimate. It's a good deal. On the other hand the more expensive truck is for all practical purposes a new truck. I'd work on that one and negotiate. I think there is a fair amount of negotiating room. I think you'd be really sorry in the long run if you got the one without the tow package.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #44

There is LOTS of room to negotiate on used... get the MSRP of what is sold for new and then take 30% - 40% off of that... most sell 20% off of MSRP new so if it is used you take more off... if the price is to steep then wait... it is a buyers market... offer what you think it is worth after doing a search if they say yes great if not... move on.. after they have it for another month contact them and say my offer still stands less $500 . I was interested in a low mileage SUV called they were "in negotiations" with someone on it. Can we have your number to call you back? I said no.. you can give me a price if you can't then you don't want to sell.. good luck with your negotiations.. that was 2 months ago... guess what it is still for sale.... and guess who isn't really in the market anymore?? they lost the sale..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #45

What will you be pulling? All this talk is meaningless unless you have all the facts. A lot of people overload half tons. I'm just sayin'...
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boze View Post
What will you be pulling? All this talk is meaningless unless you have all the facts. A lot of people overload half tons. I'm just sayin'...

OP said in post #36 he’s pulling a 4200lb hybrid.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #47

Ah, yes. my oversight.

IMHO, a half ton Ram with a Hemi and a 3.21 axle (designed for fuel economy) should be fine pulling a 4,200 lb. trailer. This would be for flat terrain or low hills, and not trying to win any races. But, if you are planning any trips to the mountains or 100+ degree traveling then you're asking for problems with tranny temp. And, if you're going up to 7,500 lbs. then you're in a whole new ballpark. HD half ton, with all the tow support items would be required as a minimum. Me, I would take it to the next step and get a 2500. It's much more suited for pulling: heavier frame, bigger brakes, suspension, drive train - you name it. The last thing you want is some sort of breakdown and a ruined trip because you are pushing a light duty vehicle instead of letting the added beef of the HD truck take care of business. My Ram 2500 diesel splits time between pulling a Jayco 5ver and my 24' car hauler with camping gear and my vintage Jeep. Both run about 8,000 lbs and I would NEVER try pulling either with a "halfie." Choose carefully.
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #48

If you are choosing between those two trucks I would go with the one with the tow package and 3.92 gears. You'll appreciate the trailer brakes and tow mirrors. I wish my ram 1500 had the tow mirrors on it. I really wish I had the 3.92's instead of the 3.21's when pulling my trailer. If I could do it over again I would have not bought the ram, but a F150 with ecoboost instead. A few years ago my rams computer went out. My truck was at the dealership for a week and a half while being repaired under warranty. So I borrowed my parents F150 with ecoboost to pull my TT. The F150 did a much better job pulling my TT then my ram with the 5.7 hemi did. Driving around without the trailer it naturally got better mpg's then the hemi did as well. The F150 has a much higher payload and towing capacity as well. Unless you're dead set on the ram, get a F150 instead. If you do want one of those two rams get the one with the tow package.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #49

In 2016, we bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman for the reason of pulling the camp trailer. It has all the upgrades that you have talked about. We love the way it pulls the trailer. The Outdoorsman has the same off road equipment as the Z71 Chevy the way I understand it. Off road equipment is not what we were after, but all the heaver trailer towing package was what we were after. The only thing I would do different is get a larger fuel tank. We almost got into trouble between Winnemucca NV and Adel OR on one trip. I did have five gallons of generator fuel with us.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram 1500, towing