Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

How to load a 5th wheel for first timer!

Headed out soon for our 1st trip in our 5th wheel. Truck is 2013 Chevy 2500HD with Duramax, payload is 2800#. Hitch is B&W Patriot slider. Trailer is 31' long, dry wt. is 9100, GVWR is 11000#. With my bumper pull I would load a little heavy in the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. Is there a certain way to load for a 5th wheel.

1. Load some extra weight in the rear of the trailer (to reduce pin weight so payload is better)?
2. Load anywhere (ie front storage) since hitch is over truck rear axle (would this INCREASE pin weight)?
3. Load some heavy stuff in truck bed in front of hitch near rear window (to reduce trailer weight which should reduce pin weight)?

My neighbor says it doesn't matter, all the weights equal out. He actually said it will tow better with about 1/2 tank fresh water but that would sure add a lot of extra weight (about 300#). I got some chucking while driving it home from the dealer so hoping that gets better with the trailer fully loaded. Thoughts? I plan on getting to a CAT scale on this trip.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #2

I start by weighing the truck with a full tank of fuel and me in it. Then I bring the empty fifth wheel to the scale and after I have a combined weight I do the math to see what kind of PIN weight I have versus axle weight.

If you have a cat scale near you you do not have to unhook it all the scale will give you the numbers, just subtract the truck weight from the total that gives you the camper weight empty. Then subtract the new rear axle weight from the rear axle weight that you got from just the truck on the scale. That will tell you how much PIN weight you have with an empty 5er. Then just load accordingly.

There are certain things that you cannot control, where the cabinets are, where your water tank is, where the storage areas are. You once you have the camper loaded for Camping, pull it across the scale one more time, with a little math you’ll be able to figure out what you have for a (payload) pin weight and axle weight... You’ll know if you need to make any adjustments. And of course once you’re on the road pay attention to how the camper follows the truck…
Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #3

Well, finally got to a CAT Scale today. Didn't get a 'truck only' weight so not sure how much good these numbers are other than to know that I am not 'over' on my axle weights:

Steer Axle 4500 (truck sticker 5200 max)
Drive Axle 5580 (truck sticker 6200 max)
Trailer Axle 8020

Gross weight 18100

Would like to know the pin weight but we didn't want to unhitch. Any comments on these figures?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #4

Once you get just the truck weighed, (full fuel etc) simply subtract the drive axle (truck) from the drive axle weight of the truck and 5er hooked up. The difference is the pin weight... You don’t have to unhook and NEVER back up on a CAT scale.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Once you get just the truck weighed, (full fuel etc) simply subtract the drive axle (truck) from the drive axle weight of the truck and 5er hooked up. The difference is the pin weight... You don’t have to unhook and NEVER back up on a CAT scale.
Thanks. Wish I had a CAT scale nearby and I'd go today and get a re-weigh for $2 bucks with truck only but other priorities right now. I'll do it some day and add some weight figures for my wife/dog/and hitch.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #6

Most landscaping and moving companies also have scales which would great for just weighing the truck.