Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2024, 10:13 AM   #1

I have questions: ReCurve R3

Just doing took a close look at the label at the top of my hitch. I'm a little concerned/confused.

I'm reading 'max weight carrying' for tongue is 600 lb.

I would assume that means max weight when NOT using the weight distribution bars. That max weight with WD is 1,500 lb.

If this is correct, I should never use this hitch without the weight distribution in place? If this is the case, is it safe to use with the bars removed, just for backing in and positioning? I would never consider hauling without WD, no matter the ratings, but I do/have removed the bars when backing into my spot at home, because it does at times, take some tight maneuvering.

My tongue weight is stated as 695 lb. (which we know is/will likely be more once loaded.)

Here's a couple photos of hitch head and specific trailer info.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_418257947DAE-1.jpg   IMG_7C9EEEF58C6E-1.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:31 PM   #2

I have the same hitch and sticker. I take mine back and forth 1/4mile each way to the storage locker with no bars. Probably overloaded the hitch rating of 500?pounds. That truck is gone, new one came with a better 2.5" reciever.
See the small print at the bottom of the tag about not exceeding the manufacturer rating?

Have you towed much with yours yet? I could really feel the big trucks pushing and pulling on the trailer. On the hitch head, with the sway bolt tightend firmly, but not tight, the reciever for the bars moves a little side to side before resistance is met. If you follow the center line 30' back to the end of the trailer, the bumper could potentially move a foot or more to one side before the sway control kicks in. Does your bar portion do the same thing?
See attatch pics. Focus on the mark on the hitch versus the grease zerk fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
20220601_164948.jpg   20220601_164813.jpg  
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I have the same hitch and sticker. I take mine back and forth 1/4mile each way to the storage locker with no bars. Probably overloaded the hitch rating of 500?pounds. That truck is gone, new one came with a better 2.5" reciever.
See the small print at the bottom of the tag about not exceeding the manufacturer rating?

Have you towed much with yours yet? I could really feel the big trucks pushing and pulling on the trailer. On the hitch head, with the sway bolt tightend firmly, but not tight, the reciever for the bars moves a little side to side before resistance is met. If you follow the center line 30' back to the end of the trailer, the bumper could potentially move a foot or more to one side before the sway control kicks in. Does your bar portion do the same thing?
See attatch pics. Focus on the mark on the hitch versus the grease zerk fitting.
My longest trip was taking the trailer home from 1 1/2 hour trip, to home. Anything else has been secondary roads. My trip home was a major route, but not for trucks. Can't say I felt much of anything except NO SOUND, which was sort of weird. It was ominous. I'm used to all the towing 'banging' sounds.

My trips out this coming season will put me on one of the busiest and most congested portions of I95 South, in CT. I'll have to report back. As far as long distances, it's not in my cards right now. Only in state (CT) for me.

As far as your photos; what am I looking for?
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:23 PM   #4

The assembly that the two round bars drop into. When the bolt for the sway is snug, will that assemble rotate one direction or the other before resistance is felt? I just try to rotate it by hand. This would be with no trailer hooked to the hitch.
First pic shows a small white spot directly above the grease fitting. Second pic shows the grease fitting no longer lined up with the dot after I rotate that assembly the bars drop into. Does it rotating both directions. Probably adds up to 5 or more degrees of rotation with no resistance, or no sway control. I was wondering if yours can rotate few degrees each direction with no resistance like mine, or if yours has no slop in it.
Trying to figure out if I need a better hitch, one with no free play in it.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
The assembly that the two round bars drop into. When the bolt for the sway is snug, will that assemble rotate one direction or the other before resistance is felt? I just try to rotate it by hand. This would be with no trailer hooked to the hitch.
First pic shows a small white spot directly above the grease fitting. Second pic shows the grease fitting no longer lined up with the dot after I rotate that assembly the bars drop into. Does it rotating both directions. Probably adds up to 5 or more degrees of rotation with no resistance, or no sway control. I was wondering if yours can rotate few degrees each direction with no resistance like mine, or if yours has no slop in it.
Trying to figure out if I need a better hitch, one with no free play in it.

As far as I can tell it is really tough to move the assembly by hand. I see what you mean about that spot. I have one, too. It's to the right...

Would that mean the brackets on the tongue aren't in line with each other? Like in my case...the bracket on the passenger side of my tongue would need to come forward a 1/4 inch or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.09.42 PM.jpg