Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

Just received - Goodyear Endurance LR D tires

Today I received 5 brand new Goodyear Endurance ST215/75R14 LR D tires to replace my factory Rainiers (ST205/75R14 LR C). They were manufactured just 4 weeks ago and I like the look and feel of them very much - the sidewalls are extremely stiff. I got them for $85 per tire and free shipping (after incentives and rebates) from discountiredirect.com.

The Goodyears are 27 lbs each, maximum load 2,205 lbs @ 65 psi, speed rating N (87 mph). Compare that to the Rainiers: 22 lbs each, 1,760 lbs @ 50 psi, speed rating L (75 mph).

I'm looking forward to installing the Goodyears and reporting my experience. Coupled with the TPMS system I felt was mandatory on the Rainiers, I should have far greater peace of mind when towing this year. I'm also expecting better handling and the ability to tow at slightly higher speeds (although you'll never see me over 65 mph). It'll be nice to have American-made Goodyear tires on both my trailer and truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0032 (2).jpg   IMG_0035.jpg   IMG_0036 (2).jpg   IMG_0037.jpg  
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #2

Very cool. Are you planning on running them at max pressure 65psi? If so, are your rims good for it? I want to go up to a LR D but my rims are only good to 60psi so that's where they will have to sit.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

I also have 205/75/14 LRC on my camper that I am planning to replace in the next couple of weeks. I was just planning to put the same size but with LRD. Why did you choose 215 instead of 205? I didn't even know you could do that. I guess it shows how little I know about tire sizing!
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

These tires were a mandatory upgrade on my new Jay Flight 21QB, I hope they perform better than some of the other tires that are installed on travel trailers.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I also have 205/75/14 LRC on my camper that I am planning to replace in the next couple of weeks. I was just planning to put the same size but with LRD. Why did you choose 215 instead of 205? I didn't even know you could do that. I guess it shows how little I know about tire sizing!
I wanted the greater load rating.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to going to 215 instead of 205 (or some other combination of numbers)? I was planning to get the same stock size (205/75/14) in a LR D from Carlisle HD.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Very cool. Are you planning on running them at max pressure 65psi? If so, are your rims good for it? I want to go up to a LR D but my rims are only good to 60psi so that's where they will have to sit.
Sky, that's a great question. After close examination I couldn't determine what my stock rims are rated at. They are "Cavallis" brand (China), #45129. They look a LOT like Sendels of the same size that are rated at 2200 lbs/80 psi but I'm not ready to bank on that. I'm contacting Jayco to confirm before mounting. If the stock rims can't handle the new tires I'll probably upgrade and sell the stock ones to defray the cost. I'll follow up here when I figure it out.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Sky, that's a great question. After close examination I couldn't determine what my stock rims are rated at. They are "Cavallis" brand (China), #45129. They look a LOT like Sendels of the same size that are rated at 2200 lbs/80 psi but I'm not ready to bank on that. I'm contacting Jayco to confirm before mounting. If the stock rims can't handle the new tires I'll probably upgrade and sell the stock ones to defray the cost. I'll follow up here when I figure it out.
Okay, I've inquired with Jayco customer service but I THINK I'm in good shape. I'm pretty sure my rims are marketed in North America as "Thoroughbred Black Aluminum Trailer Wheels." If that's true, they should be good to 80 psi and certainly to the 65 psi of my new tires. I will need to get a new rim for my spare, however, as it's rated to 1860 lbs only.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to going to 215 instead of 205 (or some other combination of numbers)? I was planning to get the same stock size (205/75/14) in a LR D from Carlisle HD.
Nothing other than what I mentioned when I started the thread - bigger safety margins and perhaps run cooler, but other than the increased load rating I think you'll get most of the same benefits out of a 205 LRD.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

I didn't even think about the PSI rating on the spare wheel.....I'm glad I'm reading this!

Good luck with the tires and please be sure to share your experience.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #11

I went with Carlisle tires when I went to LRD. I wish the Goodyears had been available when I bought mine, but so far they've been good. Lots of folks will be interested in your experiences with these new tires... so please, keep us informed.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I went with Carlisle tires when I went to LRD. I wish the Goodyears had been available when I bought mine, but so far they've been good. Lots of folks will be interested in your experiences with these new tires... so please, keep us informed.
Will do. Just confirmed that my wheels can handle the higher psi and ordered another to replace the stock spare, which can't. I should have them mounted and installed in the next two weeks, along with some suspension upgrades, and then my first trip of the season is mid-May. I'll have something to report then I'm sure.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

What suspension changes are you making? I have a new Whitehawk on order and has the new Goodyear tires. I assume the spare is a Goodyear too. Good luck.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
What suspension changes are you making? I have a new Whitehawk on order and has the new Goodyear tires. I assume the spare is a Goodyear too. Good luck.

Steve
I'm installing Lippert's Equa-flex cushioned equalizers and their "Never Fail Supension Upgrade Kit" with self-lubricating bushings and heavy duty, zinc coated shackle straps. Since I'm going to have the trailer off the ground to upgrade the tires I figured I might as well take advantage of the opportunity. My trailer came with the standard cast iron equalizer and plastic bushings, and those bushings wear out pretty quickly. These new self-lubricating bushings are polyamide and have a lifetime warranty, and there's no maintenance needed other than periodic inspection. But the Equa-flex kit is what I most look forward to, because the steel and rubber equalizers reduce chucking and dramatically improve towing. They eliminate much of the force normally transferred to the trailer or tow vehicle on rough roads. I just view it as more safety, more comfort and protection of an investment.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #15

When I upgraded to the Carlisle HD's, I was concerned with the max psi for the wheel itself. So I contacted the manufacturer, and they told me the wheels on my Jayco are rated to 100psi. More than I needed but good to know. BTW...my wheels DID NOT have the max psi on them anywhere. Not all wheels do. You have to do some homework to find out. At least I had to. Keep us updated on the GY's performance! Happy trails
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
When I upgraded to the Carlisle HD's, I was concerned with the max psi for the wheel itself. So I contacted the manufacturer, and they told me the wheels on my Jayco are rated to 100psi. More than I needed but good to know. BTW...my wheels DID NOT have the max psi on them anywhere. Not all wheels do. You have to do some homework to find out. At least I had to. Keep us updated on the GY's performance! Happy trails
You're right! I checked everywhere on the wheel but had to get the specs on mine from an aftermarket retailer, and Jayco also researched it and sent me an answer. The retailer assured me they're rated to 80 psi, Jayco said 65 psi, either of which works for my new tires. I've heard the psi is sometimes inside the wheel, but I didn't want to wait until mounting the new tires to learn whether my stock wheels were up to the task. Of course, I'll make sure to triple check and look inside during mounting anyway.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #17

Mikey, the suspension upgrades expensive? Sounds like a good upgrade.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Mikey, the suspension upgrades expensive? Sounds like a good upgrade.

Steve
Steve, the parts were $270. I'm toying with installing myself if I can find time, but I'll probably end up having a trailer shop do it. I'm guessing about $250-$300 in labor.