Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I picked up the exact same hitch this season and I just set up it up a couple weeks ago too. I had about 7/8" lift on the front axle when the tt was hitched up. After a couple of adjustments with adding washers I was able to get within 3/16" of original ride height.
I also have a slight visible bend in the bars too so I would think that's fairly normal.
I know my tongue weight when fully loaded with fresh water tank full is just shy of 900lbs. I am sure you would be very close to this hitches stated limits with a BHBE.
I've got a pic of the hitch when I was done
Thanks for sharing your experience. Your setup looks good. Have you ever had your setup weighed to see how close you have the front weight back to what it is with an empty truck?

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

I haven't made it to the scales with this hitch yet. I did get scaled with my previous round bar style hitch, that's how I know my tongue weight. I've got this new hitch set up pretty much to the exact same height measurements as with the previous hitch so I know I have to be close again. Just returned from our first camping trip of the year and the tow was awesome, still can't believe the difference from my old hitch.
I will be heading out near the scales in a couple weeks so I am hoping to stop and get it measured again then.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I haven't made it to the scales with this hitch yet. I did get scaled with my previous round bar style hitch, that's how I know my tongue weight. I've got this new hitch set up pretty much to the exact same height measurements as with the previous hitch so I know I have to be close again. Just returned from our first camping trip of the year and the tow was awesome, still can't believe the difference from my old hitch.
I will be heading out near the scales in a couple weeks so I am hoping to stop and get it measured again then.

Yeah, a good tow experience is almost better than knowing what the weights are. If it tows wonderfully, it almost doesn't matter how much weight you got back on the front axle

Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
bap

I pull a 2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. I have the 1000/ 10000 Equalizer hitch and it works fine. I got it so that the front end of the truck is only very slightly higher than the back. I did swap out the rear springs of the truck with a set of Tuff Truck TTC-1223V which adds about 35% more. Unfortunatley for you 2500 Power Wagon has about the same load carrying capacity as a 1/2 ton because the package reduces the load carrying capabitlity. You might want to consider upgrading the rear springs on the truck.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
I pull a 2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. I have the 1000/ 10000 Equalizer hitch and it works fine. I got it so that the front end of the truck is only very slightly higher than the back. I did swap out the rear springs of the truck with a set of Tuff Truck TTC-1223V which adds about 35% more. Unfortunatley for you 2500 Power Wagon has about the same load carrying capacity as a 1/2 ton because the package reduces the load carrying capabitlity. You might want to consider upgrading the rear springs on the truck.

Thanks for the info, although I am well aware of the lack of payload my truck has... I have dreamed and researched about this truck for many many years. The reason for the lack of payload is the softer/taller suspension, which is off road oriented more-so than for work/towing. This thing has less payload than my dads F-150... less than my wifes half ton Yukon. Hell, my work van (Dodge caravan) has almost the same payload. That is fine by me. If I ever have any issues with severe sagging, I will just add bags. The frame/axles/brakes etc. are all still the same heavy duty components found on the "normal" 2500... it just has a softer/taller suspension.

That being said, I have no issues with the rear sagging with this trailer, even without the weight distribution hitch hooked up. I may still add bags in the future, though... haven't used it enough yet to really know.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Thanks for the info.

I would gladly trade my hitch in for the next size up (or maybe even the 14K), but I have not even talked to them about it yet. Something tells me they wont want to do a trade. I will be getting a hold of them after I have the trailer weighed so I somewhat have a leg to stand on in the argument (if one even occurs).

The trailer is pretty dang level. Slightly nose high by my last few measurements (not quite an inch high), but it is hard to find a completely flat 55 foot long chunk of concrete/asphalt, so the numbers vary slightly. I have one more hole available that I could drop the hitch height, but I think it will be a fuzz low in the front at that point (each hole is 1 1/4" apart).
With a trailer that long, you'd rather be a shade nose down than a shade nose high if there's a choice. That's another aspect of my scenario; I'm on my lowest setting and I can't get my nose low enough for my comfort. Truck is too dang tall!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
With a trailer that long, you'd rather be a shade nose down than a shade nose high if there's a choice. That's another aspect of my scenario; I'm on my lowest setting and I can't get my nose low enough for my comfort. Truck is too dang tall!

And just think, my truck is 2" taller than yours! I cant hardly look into the back of my bed hahahah. What size drop do you have? I still have 1 more hole i can use.

A touch nose down, eh? That would make it better?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #18

A smidge nose down is better than up for stability. You'll need to lower the hangers a notch to keep the same angle on the bars.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #19

Olyelr...

Tagging on to our conversation in your Tow Rig thread, my trip back home on Sunday with my current setup the rig towed really well... I am happy with it. This was our 3rd and longest trip (250 miles round trip) and the first one I was not white knuckling it except during a bad Thunderstorm with lots of wind when we left.

Regarding the bend in the arms... The 12k arms are definetly thicker then the 10k arms so I would not be surprised if you got some bend in them but as others have said that does not mean it is a bad thing but might be best to call Equalizer about that.

I dropped my brackets down to have 1 hole on top as when I had it with 2 holes the bars were bent up pretty good and not parallel to the trailer frame and you could feel it was to tight when towing i.e. too much tension the rear would not flex over bumps or bridges.

If you drop the brackets it will take the bend out of them, if it takes too much add a washer, this makes less radical of an adjustment.

I was fighting to make my setup work with the brackets in the middle but finally dropped them which took too much off for the sway to work like I wanted then added a washer and that is where I am now.

You'll figure it out... It's taken me about 700 miles now to find this setup and get comfortable with it. I also have my Air Bags to work into the equation but I can say I am glad I added them, gives me more adjustment and I feel more stability with such a high 4X4 and high trailer.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #20

This thread is timely. I got my weights this weekend and see where I can put a little more on my front axle. So between reading this and watching the Equalizer video on YouTube, I have a good idea of how to do it. Good stuff here.

Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote