Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Tacoma Towing 264BH

I hardly ever post on forums, but I feel I need to repay the favor. I spent a LOT of time researching and looking at travel trailers. I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma and was worried about its towing abilities (6,500lbs). We looked at many small trailers and just could not find the right one, until we came across our 2014 264BH (4,535 dry from factory).
This trailer handles very nicely on the road. I thought I would share my set-up to help other Tacoma owners decide if this trailer is right for them.
1) Equalizer hitch rated at 12,000lbs.
2) Optimus brake controller.
3) Air-Lift air bags.
4) Camping world tow mirrors.
5) Tacoma does have the tow package, otherwise I would install a transmission cooler. We often travel 300 miles to our property.
The only thing I don’t like about towing this trailer is through cross winds. With the equalizer holding that trailer tight to the truck in moderate winds you feel that trailer taking the winds. Occasionally you will feel the turbulent winds after a semi-truck passes you at a high rate of speed. The other think I don’t like is backing up the travel trailer. Either I am an idiot or this trailer is going to take a while to learn how to back up without attempting the maneuver 50 times.
I am happy to answer any other questions as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
tacoma.jpg  
TacoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Thanks for posting your setup. Have you had a chance to visit the CAT scales to see how your weights look fully loaded?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

On the backing up thing, I bought one of those camera's and suddenly got better at backing up.

DW and myself now provide less entertainment at new campsites.

cheers, Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #4

Two years ago when we were looking at Travel Trailers, I had owned a 2011 Tacoma with the 4.0L V6 (tow package). We decided on the 184BH, but really we wanted the 26BH. So now every time we're on a trip, we (family of 4) really wished we had bought the larger 26BH. I was pretty concerned with the tow capabilities of the Tacoma, and erred to the side of not taking it so close to the tow limit. Good to know you've been able to make it work for you. Of course now, we own a 2013 F150..... more than capable of towing the 26BH, which we hope to have in our future in the next year or so.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #5

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your experience....see you 'round the campfire
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #6

Congratulations on the trailer purchase, and welcome to The Forum! Thanks for posting your specs & picture. That's a nice looking set up!

Happy Camping!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Taco,

Welcome to the forum.
We have the 2013 model and love it. Couple of things that might help. When we head out on our trip I keep the anti-sway loose as we travel on the side roads (30 -40 mph). Right before we hit the highway the DW jumps out and tightens it up and we hardly get any sway. Once we get to the campground we loosen it up again to make the tight turns and backing up.

Take your rig to an empty parking lot and practice. Once you get the hang of it you will be backing into your site like a pro. The 264 is a gem to backup once you get a feel for it. Your best asset is going to be your camping partner. Get him/her trained up on hand signals, and communicate while you are backing up.. After a few times practicing you will figure out how far forward you need to go before backing into your spot, etc..

Enjoy the new TT and teach the kids early how to make the bunks. They are a pain to put sheets on.. Easy trick to that though. Reach into the bunk area, grab the mattress from the back and pull it towards you. Put the fitted sheets on and the let it flop back down. Now you can put the front corners on.

Good luck and enjoy.. Let us know how things work out for you...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Nice setup. If you want worry free towing, swap the equalizer hitch out for a Hensley or a ProPride. These hitches eliminate sway especially when the TV is on the light side. They are worth the cost!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Nice set up. I just towed a White Hawk 23MBH 1300 miles, from NC to Texas with a 2104 Tacoma, V6 tow package. I traveled across the southern US...no extremely large inclines. I had no issues...not even much sway when being passed by trucks. Mileage sucked, but I expected that.

I too was skeptical of the Tacoma's capabilities...it came through, and then some...
Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Hey Taco,
Welcome to the site. Nice setup. My TV is a 2012 DBCB SR5 with the towing package. I've only been out once with my Camper once so far but with the Equalizer 10K Weight Distribution Hitch I felt comfortable towing my 21ft X20E which is 4750 Loaded. Without it I was bobbing quite a bit, LOL

It was very windy on the day we drove to the campsite, and although i felt it on occasion I was impressed with the overall towing experience. I never felt like I was going to be blown off the road or couldn't drop a gear if needed to get up an incline. I will have a better idea in a couple of weeks when we take off for 3 weeks touring Ontario. (Bonnechere, CraigLeith, Point Farms and Turkey Point Provincial Parks with a 3 day stop at a private camp up in the Bruce Peninsula between Craigleith and Point Farms.

Until then I can't really offer much in a way of my towing experiences with the X20E.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

I just picked up my 26bh this week ( 4900 lbs dry) and I am back from my first camping trip today. Had considered towing with my pathfinder, which I believe is a similar setup to your Tacoma ( 4.0L V6 266 hp 6000 lbs max tow). After much consideration and some advice from this forum I decided to upgrade and instead towed with an armada ( V8 317 hp 9100 lb max tow). While I'm sure the PF could have handled the job, I'm glad I went with the larger TV.

It's good to know that the V6 setup would work as a backup/alternate. B
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #12

TT are never really that easy to back up thats why i love pull thru
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #13

How's it going now?

I'm in the market for a new TT and seriously considering a Jay Flight SLX 264BHW. I also drive a Toyota Tacoma Sport short bed with the the tow package. I am concerned about the length of the TT with my Taco. I don't want my TT to be the tail that wags my dog (my TV). It's been almost a year and a half since you made your post. Does this combo continue to work for you?
CmpLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpLover View Post
I'm in the market for a new TT and seriously considering a Jay Flight SLX 264BHW. I also drive a Toyota Tacoma Sport short bed with the the tow package. I am concerned about the length of the TT with my Taco. I don't want my TT to be the tail that wags my dog (my TV). It's been almost a year and a half since you made your post. Does this combo continue to work for you?
You may likely get a reply if you list who this is directed to Only 2 members have posted that have this rig and it's not clear who it is directed to. Maybe both?

Welcome to JOF!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #15

From feedback I've received and read about over the years, the general consensus seems to be that w/ a V6 tow vehicle, while you MIGHT be able to safely pull the trailer you probably won't like it. Your engine is going to spin up more frequently.

Best calculator I've ever found for towing considerations is here:

http://rvitch.com/files/TowingCapacityWorksheet.xls

Be honest with the weights. See what you end up with.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #16

Norty1, I'm not looking for feedback from a specific person. I'm looking for anyone with feedback on this kind of set-up. This thread is the only one I can find on the forum discussing this specific configuration.
Jopopsy, thanks for the link to the calculator. I created something similar on a spreadsheet and know this configuration is at the high limit of what the truck can handle. I'll run the numbers again in the calculator and see what comes up.

Any feedback that anyone may have is greatly appreciated. It's better to make the right choice now vs. having a serious problem after purchase.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
CmpLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #17

The problem really is manufacturers give you tow capacity based on something low profile or somewhat aerodynamic, like a boat. You're basically pulling a 'x' thousand pound barn door behind you when it comes to a travel trailer. Its a whole different kind of strain, and a beefy V8 with a properly geared back end makes the job more enjoyable. And safe.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpLover View Post
Just purchased at 264BHW at the winter RV show in Indy and I have a 2012 Tacoma Dual Cab 4x4 with towing package. So far I'm happy with how it handles with what I have driven so far. I just keep it in 4th and know that I'm not in a hurry. We have a couple of short trips planned for the spring/early summer...then have a longer one from IN to PA for a week and I'm sure it will get a workout in the hills of western PA. The only issue I see so far is getting a good set of mirrors that fit properly. They didn't really have anything at camping world when we picked up the trailer, and there doesn't seem to be anything other than generic that is available for the Toyota after 2009.
barneyhousehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #19

FWIW. I had a 2013 Tacoma SR5 double cab with tow package when I originally got my 264BH (fiberglass package - which adds some weight). While I was within the "tow limits", I felt the truck was too light and under powered for a trailer that size. Even with the WDH there was excessive bounce and sway and hills were a challenge for that engine. It was a great little truck but too small for my needs.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #20

I started w/a 2007 Tacoma and a 2012 184BH. Last summer I upgraded to a 2013 F-150 EB and an X213.
The Tacoma is a very capable and reliable TV. I loved it. If not for my two growing boys I would probably still have it.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote