Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Tire Dry Rot

These photos show some of the cracks in the sidewall near the bead of my Bridgestone Duravis M700 tow vehicle tires. The MFG date says they are 5 years old, only 20k miles on them, lots of tread left. The local Bridgestone dealer told me not to worry about them, but I’m thinking I'm going to replace them anyway. Wouldn’t you?
Attached Thumbnails
Tire-1.jpg   Tire-2.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Swift Current
Posts: 149
Yup. Dry rot almost always gets you before wear. I always changed mine on my tool trailers every 3 years.
__________________

__________________
2015 Ram 2500 Limited 6.4L Hemi, 3.73 LS
2007 Jay Feather 254 EXP "HMCS Anchovy" :Canada:
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,114
Noticed the same issue with my TV last summer while on vacation, I stopped at two tire dealers and they told me the same thing. “Don’t worry about it, it is not enough cracking to be of any issue”. I have to admit I did change them out this past fall. I just feel better knowing that if I can do a little preventative maintenance, I will to avoid having to fix/replace something when inconvenient, such as on the side of the road.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sulphur Springs
Posts: 554
The cost of the damage inflicted by a blowout on the back of a dually far outweighs the cost of new tires. I monitor my tires closely.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Redhorse 823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brandon FL
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The cost of the damage inflicted by a blowout on the back of a dually far outweighs the cost of new tires. I monitor my tires closely.
X2
Change them...
__________________

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
5 years old? they are time expired.. REPLACE them. Tread depth means nothing at that age.. just google tire age to read about it.. Michelin has some good stuff on tire age on their web site.
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Salsa03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 280
On my previous TT, I changed the original tires after 2 years, then 3 years later I had to change them again.... and the cracks were worse than that!

I was told to steer away (if possible) from chinese tires... I had been recommended some GoodYear Marathon as they would last a little longer than the other cheap one I had bought....but they cost double the price!
__________________
2014 JayFlight 28BHBE (replacing a 2009 Kodiak 25QS)
2011 Sierra SLT CrewCab 4x4
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
5 years old? they are time expired.. REPLACE them. Tread depth means nothing at that age.. just google tire age to read about it.. Michelin has some good stuff on tire age on their web site.
Sean,
I fully plan to replace them. What I find unusual, is the tire dealer tells me they will be fine. It seems Jaygiven was told the same story by two other tire shops for his tires. Maybe this is why we see so much tire debris on the side of the highway?
__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Swift Current
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Sean,
I fully plan to replace them. What I find unusual, is the tire dealer tells me they will be fine. It seems Jaygiven was told the same story by two other tire shops for his tires. Maybe this is why we see so much tire debris on the side of the highway?
Thats exactly why you see so much tire debris. You may get lucky for a while, but not forever

What are you replacing with?
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 Limited 6.4L Hemi, 3.73 LS
2007 Jay Feather 254 EXP "HMCS Anchovy" :Canada:
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
troutslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW AR (God's Country)
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa03 View Post
On my previous TT, I changed the original tires after 2 years, then 3 years later I had to change them again.... and the cracks were worse than that!

I was told to steer away (if possible) from chinese tires... I had been recommended some GoodYear Marathon as they would last a little longer than the other cheap one I had bought....but they cost double the price!
I think he's talking about his Two Vehicle tires
__________________

__________________
Skip

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.