Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

That would be your best option. Replaced the OEM with the towing mirrors on the 2010 GMC in my picture. Took about hour + to install both. I also remember that the difference was only about 2-3 extra inches.

RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
Thank you everyone. The difference in width is rather small so think I will order a set. I am ordering from Amazon. The mirrors that I am looking at are 150. It will be nice to just slide the mirrors out and not having to deal with the strap on tow mirrors that I have been using.
Can you post a link to the set on Amazon?

NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

I have read on other forums the control works different, any feed back? Has anyone had or made a pigtail / connection so you don't have to pull the panel to swap mirrors? I have a 12 2500hd. Thanks
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #14

Ordered a set

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkCounty View Post
Can you post a link to the set on Amazon?
Amazon.com: 2007-2013 Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra Power Heated Towing Mirror Pair (2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 models): Automotive

I just ordered them. Looking forward to Spring even more now so I can try them out. I did notice that three out of 120something reviews said that a required bracket wasn't in the box and had to be ordered from a dealer. I'm considering this an outlier since it's such a small number. Once I get them installed I'll post a follow up. Although, with the way our weather is going that may end up being May.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRed View Post
I have read on other forums the control works different, any feed back? Has anyone had or made a pigtail / connection so you don't have to pull the panel to swap mirrors? I have a 12 2500hd. Thanks
The panel has to be removed to get to the molex plug which is buried down in the door. From there, it is a simple plug and play in most cases, although the the wire on the aftermarket mirrors is a bit shorter and needs to be routed differently. You do need to remove and re-install a bracket inside the door as well. Where people run into trouble is when they're buying power fold and turn signals in the new mirrors and hoping they will plug and play with their existing power adjust and heat mirrors. It really comes to the build options on your truck. Check the RPO code in your glove box. DL8 code covers heat & adjust which I have. I've also heard it covers turn signals in the mirror but haven't been able to confirm. It may require a DL3 instead. To get to power fold, you'll have to change the door controls as well. FWIW, I bought a trim removal set ($17) at the same time as I ordered my mirrors and it made it a breeze to install. Hope this helps.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRed View Post
The panel has to be removed to get to the molex plug which is buried down in the door. From there, it is a simple plug and play in most cases, although the the wire on the aftermarket mirrors is a bit shorter and needs to be routed differently. You do need to remove and re-install a bracket inside the door as well. Where people run into trouble is when they're buying power fold and turn signals in the new mirrors and hoping they will plug and play with their existing power adjust and heat mirrors. It really comes to the build options on your truck. Check the RPO code in your glove box. DL8 code covers heat & adjust which I have. I've also heard it covers turn signals in the mirror but haven't been able to confirm. It may require a DL3 instead. To get to power fold, you'll have to change the door controls as well. FWIW, I bought a trim removal set ($17) at the same time as I ordered my mirrors and it made it a breeze to install. Hope this helps.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #17

I installed the extendable mirrors on my 08 GMC 2500. Took off small mirrors, power w/heat but w/o turn signal built in the glass. New mirrors have turn signal in glass which work in the truck. RPO code is DL8.
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #18

just put a set on my Tahoe. Bought the set off ebay for $179. Power adjust, heated, turn signal front and back. Not a huge fan of the way they kind of point up and out, but they do appear to give a lot better visibility. If you are tall like I am, you may find that the up adjustment is not enough, but other than that I think you will be happy. I haven't towed with them yet. They do stick out as others said about 3" on each side farther than the OEM mirrors

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #19

I've noticed the mirrors do tend to turn up on the early ones. Mine are pretty much straight out. Here's before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror (2).jpg   Mirror (3).jpg   Mirror (4).jpg  
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
just put a set on my Tahoe. Bought the set off ebay for $179. Power adjust, heated, turn signal front and back. Not a huge fan of the way they kind of point up and out, but they do appear to give a lot better visibility. If you are tall like I am, you may find that the up adjustment is not enough, but other than that I think you will be happy. I haven't towed with them yet. They do stick out as others said about 3" on each side farther than the OEM mirrors

I found a video on youtube that shows how to level them. Looks pretty easy. I will likely level mine using the washer method shown in that video if they are not level.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote