Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box

Those who tow with and who has towed with the Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box. What's your thoughts of them? Worth the money-don't waste my money on it or are they something better?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #2

I had one on my previous 5th. It was a 40' Forest River Sierra. The solid pin box had to go, so I bought a Flexair. My hitch is a B&W. I had issues getting the Flexair installed right from the word go. No fault of the pin box really, but the air valve stem was going to hit on the bottom lip of the front cap. I had to install a flex line to make it work, not a real big deal.
Did it help? Yes, but not like it should have. It did take care of a lot of up and down, which I was pretty impressed with, but the chucking it didnt do so well on. Reason being is the pinbox and the B&W were fighting each other. If I had just your basic, plain ole hitch in the truck, it may have worked better. I ended up selling my Flexair to a friend of mine and it works really well with his set up.
Now, my buddy has a B&W companion slider and a Trailair on his Cedar Creek and that is a great combination.
Myself, I have a B&W Companion and a Moryde pinbox. The Moryde takes care of a lot of chucking and a little bit of the up and down. You would think they would be fighting each other because they both work the chucking, but they work pretty darn well together. As far as the up and down, for some reason i really dont get much with this trailer compared to my 40' Sierra I had. I will also say, last year I had to tow my buddy's Jayco 29.5 with my truck and hitch, and he upgraded his pinbox to a Moryde and my truck and trailer pulled WAY smoother that my truck pulling his trailer and his trailer is quite a bit smaller and lighter than mine. Can't figure that one out.
My advise, if your trailer has one of those solid junk pin boxes on it, get it off there ASAP and put something aftermarket on it. Flexair,... I dont think I would buy another one. Trailair,... I'd look pretty heavily into one of those, Moryde,... I'd look heavily into one of those as well.