Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
That's what I like to see. I have built a couple of rock crawlers. My newest project is going to be a 96 XJ Cherokee. Just waiting till things thaw. Going with a full snorkel set this time as well.
I assume your air lockers at ARB? I am looking at Detroit for the Jeep because I have always used those, but I have a few friends who are pushing me towards ARB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, A custom Solid brand front kingpin Dana 60 with 35-spline chromoly axles and ARB and a shaved 14-bolt rear with ARB, both ends with 5.13 gears.

Also had a 4-speed Atlas, bobbed & dovetailed bed, Alcan springs,.....

We took it on the 2008 & 2009 Petersen's 4-wheel & Off-road magazine's Ultimate Adventure. There's plenty of videos of it floating around and it was in several different magazine articles over the years.

Now my mod/build thread on our new Hummingbird may make a little more sense. Between fabricating rock-crawlers for 20+ years and being a blacksmith......I build and modify things, it's what I was put here to do .

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #42

So on the limited researched I've done so far, the guy's story sounds very plausible.

Apparently there are some reported failures of the HPFP's on even the newer (2014-2015) Duramax's that sends metal filings throughout the fuel system resulting in the need to replace the pump, fuel lines, injectors, fuel tank, etc. The reports that I've been reading are stating $10k+ repair bills .

This is apparently a "thing" with the Ford PS's as well to some degree.

Sounds like both Ford and GM use a HPFP and no lift pump in the fuel system.

That's a scary cliff to jump off of for me, even with my plan to leave the truck completely stock.......

Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
So on the limited researched I've done so far, the guy's story sounds very plausible.

Apparently there are some reported failures of the HPFP's on even the newer (2014-2015) Duramax's that sends metal filings throughout the fuel system resulting in the need to replace the pump, fuel lines, injectors, fuel tank, etc. The reports that I've been reading are stating $10k+ repair bills .

This is apparently a "thing" with the Ford PS's as well to some degree.

Sounds like both Ford and GM use a HPFP and no lift pump in the fuel system.

That's a scary cliff to jump off of for me, even with my plan to leave the truck completely stock.......
I think with all the possible expensive scenarios with diesel repairs this would be the one case in which I would break my ''never buy extended warranties'' policy.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think with all the possible expensive scenarios with diesel repairs this would be the one case in which I would break my ''never buy extended warranties'' policy.
Just read about a guy who bought a new 2016 and the pump failed at 13k miles, it stayed in the shop for 5 weeks.

Yeah, it's definitely making me have major reservations. I couldn't imagine spending $40k+ on a 2014-2015 2500HD and having it fail with a $10k+ repair bill

So far I have the option of a Duramax with the potential of large repair bills, a 1500 that drinks oil or a Tundra that drinks fuel......at least I know what I'm getting with the Tundra. They may be boring and not as flashy or have the cool bells and whistles, and they definitely love fuel, but they are pretty dependable from all of my experiences with them and I know it would drag our little TT all over the place with no issues. The fuel range, coupled with fuel consumption is the real sticking point with them.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #45

I would not hesitate to get a Duramax. They're fine engines and you hear about the guy who spent 11k on a fuel system repair but not about the 20,000 people who have never had a problem. Powerstrokes/Duramax I believe use the same Garrett turbo and Bosch HPFP and a lot of people approaching 300k on these engines on stock power. Powerstroke received an updated turbo/HPFP in 2015 and Duramax was not far behind. Maintenance is the key as with any motor. A fuel additive goes a long way in helping lubricate the HPFP, which was lost when they switched to low sulfur diesel fuel. If you're going to use the Tacoma as your daily driver it won't hurt the Duramax to sit. When you do take it out, run it hard and never put it away cold.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #46

Yeah, if I were in the market for a 1/2T class truck, Tundra would get a serious look from me. I owned one (a 2001 IIRC) and it was a great truck. Like you said, thirsty though. That's why I had to get rid of it and go to an Altima (barf!), long commute was killing me on fuel. My brother drives a later model one. He just did some suspension upgrades so it handles his cargo trailer (racing) better. Beefed up sway bar and new shocks got him all squared away. They're good trucks for sure.

Really? You're going to leave it (whatever "it" ends up being) stock? I dunno about that. If I built rock crawlers like the one you pictured, I wouldn't leave anything stock.

As for the fuel capacity/range, have you looked into something like a Transfer-flo? Or some other kind of upgraded fuel tank? I know for gassers they're expensive (?), but if you really like the Tundra and it's the range that's swaying you, perhaps it's worth it?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #47
Site Team

Or you could go.....dare I say......Ford Ecoboost.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I would not hesitate to get a Duramax. They're fine engines and you hear about the guy who spent 11k on a fuel system repair but not about the 20,000 people who have never had a problem. Powerstrokes/Duramax I believe use the same Garrett turbo and Bosch HPFP and a lot of people approaching 300k on these engines on stock power. Powerstroke received an updated turbo/HPFP in 2015 and Duramax was not far behind. Maintenance is the key as with any motor. A fuel additive goes a long way in helping lubricate the HPFP, which was lost when they switched to low sulfur diesel fuel. If you're going to use the Tacoma as your daily driver it won't hurt the Duramax to sit. When you do take it out, run it hard and never put it away cold.
I agree with this completely. I had no reservations on my 15 Dmax, IMO the reports are overstated.

I know I mentioned it before, but I'd take another look at the Titans. They did very well here - Nissan Titan Wins 2017 Pickup Truck of the Year #PTOTY17

Also, for me, my Titan XD is the best of both worlds. Tows similar to my 2015 Dmax and much better than any 1/2 ton I've owned, but was A LOT cheaper than a similarly equipped HD from Ford, GM, or RAM. It's not for everyone, but if you want a very capable tow vehicle for loads up to 11K lbs its hard to beat.
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #49

I didn't say the GM 5.3 drinks oil! It's really not that bad, I think a Sierra with the SLE trim and max tow would be a great truck. In fact, either the F150 or Silverado/Sierra with a V8 would give you the highest safety rating and value in the 1500 class. Performance goes to the EcoBoost, but I prefer to run my V8 at higher RPM then have the added complexity of twin turbos...and now Ford is forcing start-stop on us.

Unless you can wait for the 2018 Tundra, the choice is clear. Your short commute will kill a diesel's emissions system, no matter which brand you buy, that is for sure.

Quote:
So far I have the option of a Duramax with the potential of large repair bills, a 1500 that drinks oil or a Tundra that drinks fuel......at least I know what I'm getting with the Tundra. They may be boring and not as flashy or have the cool bells and whistles, and they definitely love fuel, but they are pretty dependable from all of my experiences with them and I know it would drag our little TT all over the place with no issues. The fuel range, coupled with fuel consumption is the real sticking point with them.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
Your short commute will kill a diesel's emissions system, no matter which brand you buy, that is for sure.
OP stated that he would use his '03 Tacoma for a daily driver. I have a Subaru as my DD and "exercise" the Ford 2-3 times per week.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #51

From the his initial post:

"This will also double as my daily driver with a 7 mile one-way trip from home to the office, so it will be driven very little during the week with zero highway miles. We have many moons before we can even dream of retiring, that will be 3-4 vehicles down the road....."

am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
OP stated that he would use his '03 Tacoma for a daily driver. I have a Subaru as my DD and "exercise" the Ford 2-3 times per week.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #52

Quote:
That's why I'm keeping the Tacoma since it's something I've always wanted and it's paid for. Which is kind of making me sway a little more back toward a 2500HD DM (or preferably a 3500HD SRW if possible). I could always keep using the Tacoma as the daily driver and only run the diesel on extended trips or when camping. which would in turn keep the miles down on it.
Post #39 I think. That was my interpretation of it.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #53

Quote:
From the his initial post:

"This will also double as my daily driver with a 7 mile one-way trip from home to the office, so it will be driven very little during the week with zero highway miles. We have many moons before we can even dream of retiring, that will be 3-4 vehicles down the road....."

am I missing something?
Once I learned that it's not good to drive a diesel short distances I amended my plan a little. I will need to drive both so I could use the Tacoma for commuting back and forth to work and use the diesel on longer trips and for pulling the TT.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Unless you can wait for the 2018 Tundra
Are you referring to the diesel rumor, or the redesign with better fuel economy, or something else? I can't find a lot about the upcoming changes, but if they offer a gas V-8 with improved fuel economy and respectable power then I would not think twice about waiting for the new Tundra.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #55

I have a 2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 3.2 V8 gas with tow package. It is rated for a tow rating of 9400-9600 pounds. I tow a 2015 28' Jayco White Hawk (24' box) at close to 6000 pounds and it does fine. I probably wouldn't want to tow anything heavier across country. If you are only pulling 3500 pounds, in my non professional opinion, it should be okay.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #56

I am referring to the redesigned 2018 Tundra with a gas engine, it will definitely have direct injection and significantly better fuel economy. I am really not too keen on diesel engines unless you are going to be towing frequently.

Quote:
Are you referring to the diesel rumor, or the redesign with better fuel economy, or something else? I can't find a lot about the upcoming changes, but if they offer a gas V-8 with improved fuel economy and respectable power then I would not think twice about waiting for the new Tundra.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #57

Is this one of those Ford vs Chevy and which one is better?
My 2.5 cents.
I think it really comes down to your preference, options available and cost for them. If there is a defect in a specific model/part in that specific truck/company, you might know it right away or it might take years before the problem, if any is noticed. You might get the truck that is a lemon and everyone else has no problems or you could end up with no problems and everyone else has a problem.

I got a 2016 2500HD diesel, 4x4 last year and I'm thrilled with it.
I looked at Toyota (I still have my 89 I got in 89 with over 300K), Dodge, Chevy and Ford. I've had all those make vehicles of each and taken all over 100k.
My decisions were mainly I wanted a heavy duty truck with diesel/4x4 for towing. Long term reputation put it down to Ford or Chevy.
My son's a mechanic. his comments were if I got a Dodge he'd disown me, and it's harder to work on the Ford diesels.... any way..Dodge's had a powertrain problem, they've redone their powertrain, but they don't have to long term reputation on it yet. So I was down to F250 or 2500HD..... My brother-in-law purchased a new Silverado gasser after having Ford Trucks (all F150 gas) I asked him why he switched to Chevy, since he's always had a Ford since I've know him, he said his 3 Ford trucks all started having problems at 100k, nothing major, but enough for be annoying, go he decided to go try a Chevy.
That put the icing on the cake.

Again personal choice, I'm hoping the diesel out does the gassers because I keep my vehicles well over 100k, I hope this will be my last truck if it lasts like my Toyota.
Also my dealer say with the additional cost of the diesel, the break even point will be about 100k in miles, so if you're planning long term, you might want to consider a diesel, especially if you plan to do a lot of towing.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #58

If fuel economy is truly an issue, I really don't think the ego-boost is the solution for the OP. I know three people that own them, and all three say the same thing. The advertised fuel economy numbers aren't even close. I get better mileage from my Duramax, and a real truck to boot. I had 156+k trouble free miles on my '03, and just rolled 81k on my current '09. This thread is actually the first time I've heard anything about a fuel pump issue on the Duramax. We all know how a forum can make one man's problem sound like an industry epidemic... Of the thousands and thousands on the road, there will always be some that have some problem or another, but those are the only one's you will ever hear about. All the other trouble free trucks are out there, with happy owners. You just never hear from them.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #59

Ok......I've officially talked myself out of a 2500HD.

I'm going to save up a little more money and buy a new 2017 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, SRW with the longest possible extended warranty and be done with it.

It will reside in the garage and only come out for camping trips or other long distance drives and the Tacoma will be the daily beater.

If I run into payload issues with this and our 3,700 lb TT then I'm doing it wrong .

Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #60

Wow, that was an unexpected outcome!

Quote:
Ok......I've officially talked myself out of a 2500HD.

I'm going to save up a little more money and buy a new 2017 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, SRW with the longest possible extended warranty and be done with it.

It will reside in the garage and only come out for camping trips or other long distance drives and the Tacoma will be the daily beater.

If I run into payload issues with this and our 3,700 lb TT then I'm doing it wrong .