Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

Tundra as tow Vehicle for Jay Flight 242BHS

Hi, new member with a question.

Is a 2016 5.7L Toyota Tundra Double Cab with the tow package within acceptable limits for towing a Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHS safely? That's the truck I have and the camper we're shopping and want to make sure it will ride safely for traveling with my family.

We carry alot of gear, and say we get the option package that gives you 80 gallons of fresh water capacity, and fill it. Of course I'll get a good weight distribution hitch. I know my tow limit is around 10K but I'm sure I don't want to approach this. I would also be open to adding air bags, etc. This truck is geared low and has big brakes, but it has typical 1/2 ton payload. Thanks!
bob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi, and welcome from Western NY! We have a 2010 Tundra DBL cab TRD, and although our TT is smaller, you should be OK. Maybe. We also have the 80 gal water tanks, but that's a bunch of weight to haul around. We've never travelled with more than maybe 10 gallons in the tank, and that's only for on the road potty breaks. We've never needed that much water, even for two week trips.
On the occasion we did fill them (which is only at the potable water fill at the campground), when it was time to leave, we drained out a lot from the tanks.
The TT you're looking at has a GVWR of 7000 lbs, so unless you carry another 3000 lbs of gear, you'll be within it's capacity.
A trip to the CAT scales with a fully loaded TT and truck ( like you're loaded up for a trip) would give you the exact weights you're looking for.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Virtually the last word in your post, "payload", will be your challenge! It is the limit most folks hit, well before the 'tow limit.'

You carry a lot of gear. To KNOW where you stand, you'll need to KNOW the weight of that gear in your truck, then add the weight of the family, and 1,000lbs for the trailer tongue weight (7,000lobs gross weight X 0.15 = ~1,050lbs). That's the limit of the PAYLOAD for your truck. You'll see that limit and other info on a yellow sticker on the driver's side door frame.

This question comes up frequently. For more information, you could search for the word 'payload' and see what you find.

Good luck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I don't intend to carry both tanks full and really don't carry TOO much gear. I definitely don't think I'd max the trailer carrying capacity out, just trying to get an idea of worst case scenarios. What I'd really love to hear is if anyone has the same setup and can speak to how it handles!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

I did have the Tundra Crew Max with the 4.3 ratio rear end and air bags. Pulling a 28BHS I thought it towed just fine. Actually better than my new RAM. Looking to now get airbags on it to help keep it level. (RAM has coil springs for smooth ride, but not strength)

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Our Tundra handles our TT (23') fine. We always use the Tow Mode, stick to about 60 to 63 mph on the interstates. If the world wants to pass us, that's OK. They flush out the cops in front of us. We try to enjoy the journey as much as the destination, and don't push the truck hard.
With 381 HP and 401 ft/lbs of torque, the truck is more than capable. Now if you get "two-foot-it is", and end up trading up to a 40 footer, you may want to ask your question again!! LOL.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

I have same engine and transmission on my 2008 Sequoia and my trailer is heavy and longer than what you’re looking at. No problems on towing but not going to win a race. Handling is not as good as without trailer but still using just the fingers on the steering wheel. I slow down for curves in the roads more with trailer attached. Still riding on p-rated tires with load rating of 2600#. Been up and down mountains of the Northeast and mid Atlantic area with no problems.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Same as the others pretty much. Just need to check/make educated guess on gross weight of the trailer to make sure you're under 10, although I'd keep it under 9k lbs.

I have a 2013 crewmax and pulled a 26bhs, ~30' and 7500lbs. Drove out west and through the mountains and the truck did great. Make sure you get a good weight distribution and anti sway like an equalizer. Mine did great.

Truck will get to speed easily and if you need to get speed for any reason it will accelerate ok.

My biggest issue was the gas tank size at 26 gallon. That had me stopping every 180 miles or so which makes trips much longer (7-8mpg avg at 65 mph). I ended up placing. 5 gal gas tank in the bed just in case as there are some long distances between gas stations in some locations. Good planning fixes that issue though.

I think you'd be in good shape if it was under 9k. 10k is probably fine too, just longer stopping so you need to be even more aware of everything going on around you.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I should've mentioned I have E rated 10 plies. Also, for my year they came standard with a 38 gallon gas tank and a trailer brake. When you guys say don't expect to go too fast, etc. are you really working the engine? Staying at higher RPMS? I do hate to drive too slow. I had a Tacoma before this and I always needed more truck and hated that. Now looking at the bigger trailers, I feel like I need more truck again haha. But I love the Tundra.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #10

Tundra as tow Vehicle for Jay Flight 242BHS

My Gas 5.7iforce engine redline at 6000RPM. 60mph without 7500# trailer on flat road RPM is 2200, with trailer it run about the 2500RPM. Going up 6% grade at 60mph with 7500# trailer engine is screaming at 4500 and probably making the peak hp. Remember that Diesel engine redline at 4000RPM.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
Thanks guys. I don't intend to carry both tanks full and really don't carry TOO much gear. I definitely don't think I'd max the trailer carrying capacity out, just trying to get an idea of worst case scenarios. What I'd really love to hear is if anyone has the same setup and can speak to how it handles!
As said by others, check your cargo capacity. The yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb will tell the story. I have about the highest CCC I have seen on a Tundra which is 1428. We run the truck almost empty except for wife and myself and very little water and other "stuff" in TT and were just about at the limits of CCC. We have towed our 27 RLS all over the country (in virginia as I write this) and have not had an issue. With more stuff and people in the TT and more stuff in RV (needed for more people) you will very possibly exceed the CCC of your truck. Run the numbers that will give you your answer. Tow capacity means almost nothing...just because you can drag something down the road, doesn't mean it's safe or not damaging our TV.

Good Luck, and safe travels.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

Bob2,

We had a Jayco 24RKS for a few years, and towed it with a 5.7 CrewMax. The weight is very similar to your trailer. It towed it just fine and the only time we struggled was heading out of Durango at high elevation which kills a gas engine. The challenge with our Tundra was 1,387 cargo carrying capacity. Great 1/2 ton, better than most.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #13

Quote:
This truck is geared low and has big brakes, but it has typical 1/2 ton payload. Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean by "typical 1/2 ton payload". I've seen 1500/150 series trucks have a 2300# payload, I've seen them with an 1100# payload. Mine is 1645#. Look at the weight limit sticker in your driver side door jamb. This is a number you need to know.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

My payload capacity on my door jamb sticker is 1300 lbs. I looked at slide in campers for a long time and payload is a big concern there, I guess I didn't give it too much thought to payload with a travel trailer since that would mostly be pin weight and I thought a WDH would help - here's where I need to do some searching in this forum to get educated. Also with a bigger travel trailer I thought I could move some gear from the bed of the truck to the trailer. Also Jayco lists there dry tongue weight for this trailer at 650 lbs...
Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Also Jayco lists there dry tongue weight for this trailer at 650 lbs...
Dry weight is a myth. You will never tow a trailer at it's dry weight. Dry weight is the weight of the trailer minus any options. The "Customer convenience package" for example, which is mandatory, is considered an option and not included in the dry weight calculation. There is a yellow sticker on the lower right outside the trailer, and a duplicate sticker probably in a cabinet door, that lists the "As shipped weight. That is supposed be the weight it was when it left the factory. Usually that's 300-500# more than the dry weight.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 7000#. You CCC is 1535#. Assume the options weigh 350#. Now count your "stuff". If you put 500# of stuff in, ready to camp your trailer will weigh 6300#. Figure on average tongue weight should be 10% to 15%, I always average that at 13%, that's 819#. Subtract that from your payload, that leaves 481#, minus about 100# for your WDH, now you are at 381.

These are just random guesses to help you understand the math a little. That's big trailer but I don't see you having huge issues towing it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
My payload capacity on my door jamb sticker is 1300 lbs. I looked at slide in campers for a long time and payload is a big concern there, I guess I didn't give it too much thought to payload with a travel trailer since that would mostly be pin weight and I thought a WDH would help - here's where I need to do some searching in this forum to get educated. Also with a bigger travel trailer I thought I could move some gear from the bed of the truck to the trailer. Also Jayco lists there dry tongue weight for this trailer at 650 lbs...
In addition to what DocBrown said, Jayco's 'dry' tongue weight does not include the weight of the propane or battery - and virtually ALL that weight is on the hitch.
AND the 'dry' weight does not include the weight of the hitch and virtually ALL that weight is on the hitch, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #17

A bit late to the party, but here is my input.

My 2007 Tundra Double Cab pulls my 30’ trailer just fine. Empty weight of my truck full of fuel, two people, one dog and two cats weighs 5800#. GVWR of my trailer is 7700#; weighed loaded on a CAT scale ready for a months trip with full propane, 2/3 tank of water, (65gal max) food and beer weighed 6900#, also on a CAT scale.

This my second TT pulled with my Tundra. Using 87 Octane my MPG without the trailer varies between 17 & 19. Pulling my loaded trailer my mpg varies between 9.5 & 12 cruising at 60-65mph. I use 10mpg for planning fuel stops, usually every 180-200miles on a tank. I have towed though the mountains of Colorado
And Oregon without a problem...even passed a couple of Ram diesels pulling fifth wheels on steep grades.

All I can say is that you should have no problem pulling with a Tundra. It out pulls my old Silverado by far. The 5.7 iForce engine has never given me any problems and the trans shifts smooth as silk. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #18

I had a 2008 Crewmax with the 5.7 and tow package pulling a Eagle 28.5 5th wheel with a full tank of water and all our stuff with no problem. On occasion we double towed and took along a 13 Boston whaler boat. I would say ride right air bags and E rated tires made a positive difference in the ride.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi, new member with a question.

Is a 2016 5.7L Toyota Tundra Double Cab with the tow package within acceptable limits for towing a Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHS safely? That's the truck I have and the camper we're shopping and want to make sure it will ride safely for traveling with my family.

We carry alot of gear, and say we get the option package that gives you 80 gallons of fresh water capacity, and fill it. Of course I'll get a good weight distribution hitch. I know my tow limit is around 10K but I'm sure I don't want to approach this. I would also be open to adding air bags, etc. This truck is geared low and has big brakes, but it has typical 1/2 ton payload. Thanks!
I have a 2012 Tundra with TRD Package, and Tow Package. I pull my 2015 27.5 RLTS 5th wheel with no problem.
Hoghead1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #20

I have been pulling my off shore boat (GVW 6800lbs) and my JayFlight 265SLX with my 2006 Tundra 4x4 DualCab SR5 4.7 IForce with 320,000 miles , with no issues! My Toyota master mechanic advised me to use premium 93 octane fuel, change oil after each 3000 miles (Castrol 5-30w), inflate E rated tires to recommend 80psi and never tow using Overdrive on the automatic transmission! That Tundra loves towing the Jayco TT with equalizer set up! Going for 400,000 miles!
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote