Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 AM   #1

Uneven ground

I have a new to me 2013 Jay Flight 28 BHS. I will be storing it in an area where the ground is not uniform. I regularly mow this area with a garden tractor and move a 22 ft boat and trailer over it with no issues. Except for the possibility of hooking exposed piping, undercarriage or jacks, do I need to be concerned about trailer flexing, leading to potential shell seal breakage and water leaks? Forty years ago I towed a 22 ft BELLEVUE travel trailer routinely over this ground with zero issues.
reiddo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

Welcome aboard.

Generally speaking not an issue. But how uneven? You do want the unit fairly level if you wish to turn on the refrigerator.

Unless your planning to use the TT, you should not lower the stabilizers. Not sure exactly why, but that is in the owner's manual. I suspect it is due to a TT tire going low and putting pressure on the stabilizers, which are not made to lift the TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome aboard.

Generally speaking not an issue. But how uneven? You do want the unit fairly level if you wish to turn on the refrigerator.

Unless your planning to use the TT, you should not lower the stabilizers. Not sure exactly why, but that is in the owner's manual. I suspect it is due to a TT tire going low and putting pressure on the stabilizers, which are not made to lift the TT.
I should have been clearer...the actual storage area is very flat and even. The route to it however is not. I do however regularly mow that area with a lawn tractor and move my 22 ft boat over it. Sorry I was not clearer.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

I would not worry about the "road/lawn" being uneven. This is what the suspension, and hitch assembly is designed to handle.

the shock of hitting large potholes and pulling into gas stations and the like are just as bad, or maybe worse.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #5

Not an issue
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #6

I drag mine over a rutted road to get to hunt camp with no issues. Well, except for the time I rode the wrong side of a rut an the step caught the rise on the rut an bent.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I drag mine over a rutted road to get to hunt camp with no issues. Well, except for the time I rode the wrong side of a rut an the step caught the rise on the rut an bent.
I have just one area where either my front hitch jack or stabilizer jacks might hook I was considering levelling out that eleven ground with a wooden platform. My initial concern was from the twisting that the uneven ground might impose and whether it might cause caulking/seals to crack, leading to rain leaks down the road.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

You'll be fine. This is a small pic of 1 spot on the road I drag mine down. Hard to tell how deep it is but you can tell how long this one hole of many isClick image for larger version

Name:	20191024_212636.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	57841
Old 04-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddo1 View Post
I have just one area where either my front hitch jack or stabilizer jacks might hook I was considering levelling out that eleven ground with a wooden platform. My initial concern was from the twisting that the uneven ground might impose and whether it might cause caulking/seals to crack, leading to rain leaks down the road.
No matter what, caulking needs to be checked at least twice a year, and touched up as needed. My 2012, seems to need touching up every year now. The roof, I addressed with Eternabond. The walls; the corners and penetrations, just need a little periodic TLC.

Before I installed airbags, I would drag my hitch on my driveway entrance, every time in and out, now I just clear.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

You would be surprise what you can tow trailer over.

During one trip my wife and I got lost trying to find her sisters campsite because we were on the wrong side of the lake.
I turned down this one way road and about half way down there was a sign saying no trailers beyond this point!
There was no turning around there so had to keep going finally finding an off camber dirt area to turn around.
It was pretty steep but was able to get back on the road with no problems.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote