Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2024, 04:08 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Set Up Questions

Hello
I am getting ready to set up my weight distribution/anti sway hitch. Even though this is a first for me I have confidence that I have a solid grasp of the set up. My questions begin with all the instructions and tutorials I have researched all use trucks that seem to have empty cargo beds. I don't plan on overloading my truck bed but I will have a few hundred pounds back there. I plan to simulate the projected weight by placing 10 regular (8" x 8" x 16") concrete blocks (350lbs + -) in the bed. So when measuring the front/rear wheelwells do I just use the weighted truck measurements then with the tongue on the ball and make sure I'm 50-75% of that. Or do I still measure the truck unloaded, then loaded then then with the tongue loaded and do an average? It doesn’t make sense to me I would fine tune with an empty truck bed then load it up and change everything. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
SJ Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:13 AM   #2

I would just set it up empty. You can always adjust it later.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:06 PM   #3

Well I am setting it up for our long trip to Texas. So as mentioned I didn't see the need to set up empty then have to readjust. Unless you are saying the weight difference may not make that much of a difference in set up. So if I did set up with TV empty & TT stocked. I would load my truck rehitch and check the amount of change in measurement and if over 100% ether up or down then make the adjustments. Would you recommend using the sway bar bracket, ball angle or both?
Old 03-23-2024, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Communicator View Post
Well I am setting it up for our long trip to Texas. So as mentioned I didn't see the need to set up empty then have to readjust. Unless you are saying the weight difference may not make that much of a difference in set up. So if I did set up with TV empty & TT stocked. I would load my truck rehitch and check the amount of change in measurement and if over 100% ether up or down then make the adjustments. Would you recommend using the sway bar bracket, ball angle or both?
What hitch are you setting up?
Equalizer, Anderson etc…

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:05 PM   #5

Curt 17601
Old 03-23-2024, 05:53 PM   #6

Well I just realized I am going to have to do a "regroup" with my brilliant idea if loading all my goodies on the back bumper. With everything loaded on my bumper generator, 2- 20lb LP tanks, bicycles & spare my tongue weight was just 500lbs! With the genny and LP tanks off tongue weight went to 600. So I am going to put the genny and the LP tanks in the truck. I could probably try to load more weight in the front of the TT to increase the tongue weight. But in reality that would just make the trailer heavier and still not have the right weight on the tongue. So I guess I bought a nice cargo carrier for nothing lol. But I would rather be safe than sorry. I set the ball to my new WD hitch 3/4" of of an inch above the level trailer with the truck bed empty. Tomorrow I will set up the rest and see how it looks with my simulated weight then fine tune for there. I believe I can make adjustments with the friction bar brackets as opposed to have to reset the ball again. It's sad my plan didn't work out but as previously mentioned I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:58 PM   #7

My last WD hitch weas a Reese Dual Cam. First step was getting the proper spring arms for the expected tongue weight. Then it was adjusting the chain length on the sway control so that my front fender didn't raise more than 1". I did the initial setup with empty truck and trailer, and usually didn't have to make any adjustments after that. If I did, I only had the shorten my chain by one link.

I used this hitch for two different travel trailers. The first was about 7000# empty and the second was a little over 10,000# empty. I only had to change the spring arms for the heavier trailer.

There are multiple brands and style of WD hitches, but I found this video helpful in explaining how they work and how to set up. In my mind, the measurements taken would work for any brand.

https://youtu.be/ZHYTw9e5oIY
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:48 AM   #8

I like the idea of simulating a load in the back of the truck, but the key to properly setting up the WDH is to have the trailer fully loaded like you are going to travel. This includes having at least 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water onboard. How you load your rig will change its heights and weights (tongue and axle) and will directly effect your WDH settings.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:41 PM   #9

I think I finally got it! Truck measurements spot on! Trailer level 99.9% level. The bubble is in the house but just favoring the TV. My only concern is the friction bars are still slightly on an angle pointing up at the TT. Instructions say bars should be nearly horizontal. But the best I can get is 1/2" per foot. I could drop the frame brackets one more hole but I think that would take all the tension off the bars. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2024, 06:13 PM   #10

As an update my son & I did some fine tuning and got everything dialed in perfect. I did realize (after measuring with a laser level) that part of the issue was the surface I was using was not exactly level but sloping downhill towards the TV. Once on level ground everything fell in place. We're back from Texas now and all I can say is"Man O Man what a difference in towing!" Yes we got hit by big gusts of wind and Semi's blowing by us at 80+ mph. But our trailer straightened right out & tracked the TV like a dream! I can't imagine how I tolerated not using a set up like this for so long!
Oh and Texas was beautiful and the total solar eclipse was absolutely amazing!
Old 04-14-2024, 07:38 PM   #11
Site Team

That's really great news. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote