Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
ctbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
.... Sure the truck could carry a lot more than that but not legally.
Depends on what "legality" we're talking about. All the states allow folks to buy class a diesel pushers that have GVWR of just under 26k without classifying the vehicle as a commercial truck.
__________________

__________________
Craig T. Bailey
Hudson, NH
2015 Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Depends on what "legality" we're talking about. All the states allow folks to buy class a diesel pushers that have GVWR of just under 26k without classifying the vehicle as a commercial truck.

I am talking about exceeding the GCWR of the vehicle. If you then cause an accident and it is found you exceeded the rating you can be in serious trouble. I have seen it happen quite a few times in Oregon.
__________________

__________________
2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bremerton
Posts: 305
I didn't find the payload number on my sticker. But:
- from the spec sheet
GVWR = 9600#
base wt = 7329#
design payload = 2271# (not bad)

- from latest trip to the city dump
GVWR = 9600#
tare wt from scales = 7740# (driver + 1/2 tank fuel)
avail max payload for towing = 1860#

therefore driver + 3 passengers + tank of fuel = 3/4 ton of remaining payload capacity.

Tim
2010 Ram 2500 CCLB
2008 JF 26BHS
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I didn't find the payload number on my sticker. But:
- from the spec sheet
GVWR = 9600#
base wt = 7329#
design payload = 2271# (not bad)

- from latest trip to the city dump
GVWR = 9600#
tare wt from scales = 7740# (driver + 1/2 tank fuel)
avail max payload for towing = 1860#

therefore driver + 3 passengers + tank of fuel = 3/4 ton of remaining payload capacity.

Tim
2010 Ram 2500 CCLB
2008 JF 26BHS
This is exactly what I am talking about. The "paper" figures on the website don't mean anything. I swear they rate these trucks without bumpers or seating. A lot of people think you can buy a 3/4 Ton truck and throw anything in it. In reality its just as easy to overload a 3/4 ton as a 1/2 ton.
__________________
2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I am talking about exceeding the GCWR of the vehicle. If you then cause an accident and it is found you exceeded the rating you can be in serious trouble. I have seen it happen quite a few times in Oregon.
Would it be possible to find a link or anything to one of these cases. I have searched high and low for any kind of case that involved GVWR numbers on light trucks and can't find a thing.

I did find one brought against a national rent a trailer chain but as best I can understand it was about policy and not about the GVWR of the tow truck.

But if there is one we all need to see it.
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Would it be possible to find a link or anything to one of these cases. I have searched high and low for any kind of case that involved GVWR numbers on light trucks and can't find a thing.

I did find one brought against a national rent a trailer chain but as best I can understand it was about policy and not about the GVWR of the tow truck.

But if there is one we all need to see it.
I don't have any news stories or reports to share. My info comes from family/friends who are local PD officers/troopers.
__________________
2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I don't have any news stories or reports to share. My info comes from family/friends who are local PD officers/troopers.
Thanks, but the question remains...........is there a case out there where the final fault was found to be overloading of a light truck.

I mean the trooper can't write a ticket unless it's a law on the books. I can't find a law on the books in any state that says that these stickers are legal numbers.

But thanks again.
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
2007.5, LMM Durmax, 4 dr, 4x4, 6' bed = door sticker 2351.

Previous '04 5.3 1500 4dr 4x4 1800.

For me 550 lb gain in payload between 1500 and 2500 is significant.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #59
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
2007.5, LMM Durmax, 4 dr, 4x4, 6' bed = door sticker 2351.

Previous '04 5.3 1500 4dr 4x4 1800.

For me 550 lb gain in payload between 1500 and 2500 is significant.
And I gained 2,000 lbs over my 1500 as per the door stickers.....


My 04 2500 payload is 3474lbs on the sticker

My 04 1500 work truck is 1454 lbs. Quite a difference.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bremerton
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Thanks, but the question remains...........is there a case out there where the final fault was found to be overloading of a light truck.

I mean the trooper can't write a ticket unless it's a law on the books. I can't find a law on the books in any state that says that these stickers are legal numbers.

But thanks again.
The only possible thing I can think of is a denial of a warranty claim if your truck damage was due to an (proven) overloaded condition.

*****
As an aside, the ONLY difference between my 2010 ram 2500 and a 2010 ram 3500 SRW is the rear spring pack.

The frames, axles, brakes, engine, transmission are all the same.

The 2500 has a max payload of 2270#. The tow rating maxs out at 12,500 with a diesel, auto trans, and a 3.73 rear end.

With only a change in the rear spring pack, the 3500 has a max payload of 2990#. The tow rating with the same 3.73 rear end is 13,750#

I would get an extra 720# of payload and an extra 1250# of tow capacity - with just a change in spring pack.

But if I swapped out the springs myself, a RV dealership would still only recognize my 12,500 tow capacity - as that is what is listed on the build sheet for my truck.

**************
Tim
__________________

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.