Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #1

Talking Yukon Pulling White Hawk

Hey Everyone,

First of all, I appreciate all of you taking the time to post replies to my silly question.

I am trying to weigh out all of the possible options of TT that I will be able to pull with the current vehicle that I have, which is a 08 Yukon SLT-2. I have a max towing capacity of 7500lbs.

We are looking at all BH units to pull, and trying to get it as large as we can. Therefore I have been exploring the idea of maybe going with either a White Hawk 25BHS, White Hawk 28DSBH, or the Jay Feather 25BH.

Thanks for all of the input.

JLWright325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

You'll get better answers if you post the information on the yellow sticker in your Yukon. And post the weight of all occupants and cargo you would expect to have in the Yukon on trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
You'll get better answers if you post the information on the yellow sticker in your Yukon. And post the weight of all occupants and cargo you would expect to have in the Yukon on trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree, and I would post that information if I could. Unfortunately I wont be able to get that information for a couple of days.

But I know that the weight of my family will be around 450lbs, and I would guess that we wouldn't really put more than 800lbs of stuff into the TT.
JLWright325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since this is your first TT purchase and you expressed a concern in a prior JOF thread (*) of not wanting to harm your Yukon, then IMO minimizing the weight assumptions prior to a TT purchase when possible will increase purchase confidence.

Taking your Yukon to a CAT scale ($9) and weighing it under "loaded" conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) will confirm how much available payload capacity you have to support a TT's loaded tongue weight....., this will help you select a TT with confidence.

A specific (model) tow vehicle's remaining (available) payload capacity can vey depending on one's personal loading requirements and vehicle configuration.

Bob

(*) Reference thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...y-42977-2.html

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

I'd think you'd be ok. We tow a 28bhbe dual ac with our 07 escalade rated at 8100. Fully loaded (water tanks empty) we're about 400 lbs under max gcwr. Definitely get a good wt distribution hitch and weigh at the cat scales to get your setup dialed in.
C4DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Similar Vehicle and Trailer

I had a 2001 Yukon and recently switched up to a 2012 Suburban. The trailer is a 2008 24 RKS with a thousand pounds less and a couple of feet shorter.

The Yukon was good with enough power and stability but the Suburban is much better. The longer wheelbase holds the trailer more steady. I think the engine with more torque helps also.

I do not feel any movement in the trailer when pulling with the Suburban. This is an improvement over the Yukon. I would go with the shortest of whatever you are looking at. Less tail to wag the TV. I would not go the extra 1,000 pounds in my trailer. I try to keep well below any maximums. 5,000lbs dry was my maximum for a trailer and my max tow weight is 8,000lbs.

We camp in the backcountry as much as possible. We sometimes wish we had a little shorter trailer to get into the more remote locations. We find that we are one of the larger trailers in the national forest campgrounds. It is just my wife and I typically sleeping in the trailer. Visitors once in a while.

The Escalade has a 6.0 liter engine so pulls better. Don't know what the tow capacity or payload capacity is though.

That is my two bits worth with a similar setup to yours.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

I wouldn't feel confident with my setup in the mountains (trans cooler would be needed for sure). Were doing only Florida trips, so mostly flat. I have the short wheelbase and there's some minor tail wagging the dog with cross winds and trucks flying by. This is more noticeable as 65mph is approached and passed. I like 62-63 as a comfortable sweet spot.
C4DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

I have a WH 28DSBH and My tongue weight is just under 1,000#. The trailer's gross weight is 7,500#, your theoretical towing limit. With everything you'll probably put in the Yukon, I'm guessing you're going to be over your limits with this trailer. I can't say about the others. I'm comfortable towing mine but I have a 3/4-ton pickup. I personally would not want to pull this trailer with a Yukon. Best of luck with your choice...
Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #9

We pulled our Whie Hawk 20MRB (5900 GVW) with a Forf Explorer Sport Trac, simarily rated to pull a 7500 lb. trailer and the tongue weight of the 20MRB put us over the Sport Trac GVW.

I would not risk something rated more than 6000 GVW with your Yukon unless you have the 1800+ pound payload rating.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote