Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

2010 23J Front & Rear Bed questions

We recently purchased a new 2010 23J (May 7th). The owners manual and the RV dealer goes over the closing of the bed ends, but I have questions. I found some water under on the vinyl hinge covers when I opened the beds today after heavy rain last night.

The 2010 owners manual explains and shows opening and closing earlier model tents, with the seals on the doors. Ours has the seals on the trailer.

1. There is a vinyl cover over the hinges is attached to the trailer and velcroed to the bed. Is that supposed to be pulled up prior to closing the tent? Is there a proper set of instructions somewhere?

2. Should the bed door seals be treated with anything? Our camper is new, but has sat on a parking lot for a year.

3. I noticed that it must have been wet prior to our ownership because some the wood is expanded (bubbled) in this area too. It is dry now, so the rain last night did not do this. Is this a warranty issue?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

Just a couple of comments noted in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenginny View Post
snip.......
1. There is a vinyl cover over the hinges is attached to the trailer and velcroed to the bed. Is that supposed to be pulled up prior to closing the tent? Is there a proper set of instructions somewhere? I can't comment on the 2010 model, but I do know that on my sister's 2005 model 23B she folds everything in before closing the tent ends.

2. Should the bed door seals be treated with anything? Our camper is new, but has sat on a parking lot for a year. I use 303 Areospace Protectant on all my seals, plastic, and outer Filon side walls. Great UV protection.

3. I noticed that it must have been wet prior to our ownership because some the wood is expanded (bubbled) in this area too. It is dry now, so the rain last night did not do this. Is this a warranty issue? Could be, I would take it back to the dealer and at least get a warranty service claim into the system just in case it becomes an issue in the future.
Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

we had had some water inside ours when we did not realize some of the canvas was out a little in the gasket. we now try to make sure all of the canvas is tucked in all around before locking it

we now fold back the velcro hinge cover as well
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #4

I took the camper into our dealer today. They were very concerned and were able to replicate the leak. They determined that the front and rear seals have shrunk and need to replaced. I guess this happens when a camper sits on a sales lot for a year. Not only that, the dealer also recaulked everything on the front and rear of the camper.

They took pictures of the leak, seals and small area of wood that had swelled. Then filed a warranty claim with Jayco. The dealership stated that the seals and replacement wood should waiting on me when we return from our two week trip to Ohio and Western New York.