Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Jayco 17FXD Water Heater Question

Hi Everyone. I am new to the hybrid world and Jayco brands as well. I have inherited a 2016 Jayco 17 FXD from my father. He recently passed so I have little info or instructions on how to use this. I was wondering if the water heater on these models have an anode rod or not. It was winterized last year and not used since. I did look at the water heater and there is just a plastic plug. The plug was left out of the water heater, Hopefully no critters are living in there. Our local Jayco dealer is little help. They have not returned any of my phone calls.

Hopefully someone has some idea.
Brutalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

Your water heater (Atwood) has an aluminium tank and does not require an anode rod. The plastic plug is the correct fitting. Using a metal plug would cause contact between dissimilar metals which would start corrosion.

If it has been open for a while, grab an RV water heater flush wand from Amazon or in the RV section in Wally World. It attaches to the end of a garden hose and inserts through the drain plug opening and will give the tank a powerful flush.

ETA: forgot to say, Welcome to JOF! Lots of friendly knowledgeable people here.

Do you have the manual for your HTT? Check the manuals section here on JOF to see if yours is posted if you don't. They are pretty generic (cover an entire model line) but will explain most of the basics you need. Manuals are also available on the Jayco site for most recent years.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Your water heater (Atwood) has an aluminium tank and does not require an anode rod. The plastic plug is the correct fitting. Using a metal plug would cause contact between dissimilar metals which would start corrosion.

If it has been open for a while, grab an RV water heater flush wand from Amazon or in the RV section in Wally World. It attaches to the end of a garden hose and inserts through the drain plug opening and will give the tank a powerful flush.

ETA: forgot to say, Welcome to JOF! Lots of friendly knowledgeable people here.

Do you have the manual for your HTT? Check the manuals section here on JOF to see if yours is posted if you don't. They are pretty generic (cover an entire model line) but will explain most of the basics you need. Manuals are also available on the Jayco site for most recent years.
I think you just answered my question. As I began winterizing our new Whitehawk 30RDS I noticed just a plastic plug and thought to myself where in the heck is the anode. I'm assuming my unit does not require one either.

Thanks!

Ed B.
EFBell351 is offline   Reply With Quote