Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

New Jayco Owner

Hello everybody, just purchased a 2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 16RB. I think I have that right. This is actually my 2nd Jayco. Many years a ago I had a Jayco 10' Pop Up then later purchased a larger Coleman Pop Up. My choice with this camper was made due the Jayco quality and for camping on Assateaque Island where my Pop Up was taking a beating from bad weather, actually lost my awning on one trip as well as a zipper getting torn up. I'm looking forward to camping again in a much more secure camper, plus the many extra amenities I'm not use to. The previous owner was real good with keeping all of the manuals, so that will be a big help getting to know my new camper.

So here goes with my 1st question. There is a deep cycle battery mounted on the front frame. When does this battery charge? And while in storage can I charge the battery with one of those solar chargers from Harbor Freight? I had a lot of success with them on the two deep cycle batteries on my boat.
80 Cruiser Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
So here goes with my 1st question. There is a deep cycle battery mounted on the front frame. When does this battery charge? And while in storage can I charge the battery with one of those solar chargers from Harbor Freight? I had a lot of success with them on the two deep cycle batteries on my boat.
The battery should charge while hooked to your truck/car and when plugged into shore power.

Yes the solar charger will work. Did that when my FW was in a storage lot.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
There is a deep cycle battery mounted on the front frame.
80CR,

Question for you: is your battery from 2014?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Congratulations 80 Cruiser Rod!

I too had upgraded from a popup to a 2013 Jayco x17Z hybrid in October 2016. When I bought it, the seller replaced the battery for me. I don't know if your 2014 has them, but I would recommend replacing the light bulbs with LED bulbs if you will be camping without electric hookups. And there are many posts on this forum regarding solar panels.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #5

No, the owner just bought a new battery last year.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
Congratulations 80 Cruiser Rod!

I too had upgraded from a popup to a 2013 Jayco x17Z hybrid in October 2016. When I bought it, the seller replaced the battery for me. I don't know if your 2014 has them, but I would recommend replacing the light bulbs with LED bulbs if you will be camping without electric hookups. And there are many posts on this forum regarding solar panels.
Thank you, the x17Z was actually the camper I was looking for but this one became available and the price was right and the condition is remarkably clean. It even has the brand new smell when I open the door and go in to it. Not sure how that happens but I like it.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #7

Two of the places I camp is dry camping. Any recommendations for a size solar panel that and how to set it up? I'm guessing my little A/C draws too much to run without a generator.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm guessing my little A/C draws too much to run without a generator.
From your battery? You betcha. It will just laugh at you.

Suggestion: Don't be like I was and jump too fast on solar. Folks have a lot of luck with them, but it takes some thinking through.

Try this Jayco Forum search link, posted by one of our site team members, and enjoy your research.

All best, and happy trails!

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:_douuy_o5dq

Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The battery should charge while hooked to your truck/car and when plugged into shore power.

Yes the solar charger will work. Did that when my FW was in a storage lot.
Is it a good idea to leave my camper connected to power when in storage on my property if I can?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Is it a good idea to leave my camper connected to power when in storage on my property if I can?
Don't see why you should, unless you're running something inside that requires power. I used to disconnect my battery from the camper and, while still leaving the battery on the rig, attach one of these gizmos. They seemed to work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-5010.../dp/B0091I1OBQ

Nowadays, however, I move the battery inside the garage and hook it to a charger.