Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Rear View Camera on TT?

I would like to say that this is my LAST question as I finish the list of add-ons for our new TT.

We are first time RV'ers and pulling with an MDX. We do not have big side mirrors. We can see the hitch itself from the MDX rear-view mirror, so that was a good surprise. But we also believe we would like a rear-view camera on the TT. We have seen some chatter about the Bluetooth cameras not working well.

We are open to suggestions. Should we try a hardwired camera? Bluetooth? Something else?

10K Equalizer; Teshonka P3
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Your best bet would be a wired camera. 'Rear View Safety' Company has a good reputation of making excellent products. Depending on your need, they have a great selection to choose from.

I have a 5'er and I have a dual monitor rear view camera behind my trailer. See my thread below detailing install and camera options:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19980

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I wouldn't rely on a camera to decide whether lane changes are safe. There are lots of towing mirrors that can attach to see safely. I personally don't see the need for a camera. Make sure you buy the best hitch and best brake controller before you spend money on a camera. Just my opinion.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

JAYCO uses the GARMIN Nav & Camera system. The camera is wireless and the transmitter runs off the TT or FW battery.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

I'm with nbhybrid on this one. I question the usefulness of a camera back there on a TT. If I don't have a spotter (has not happened yet) then I use GOAL (Get Out And Look). And I've never found a need to see behind me like that while in transit, what's going on in front of me takes enough concentration. As long as I can see down the side of my camper, I'm good. Just my pair o' pennies.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I personally don't see the need for a camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm with nbhybrid on this one. I question the usefulness of a camera back there on a TT. And I've never found a need to see behind me like that while in transit, what's going on in front of me takes enough concentration.
This is where we have to agree to disagree.

As someone who holds a class "A" CDL and who has also been towing TT/FW and driving a MH and trucks since at least 1973 the more you can see what is going on around you, front, back and sides, the safer you are. Every CDL class teaches you to check mirrors at least every 15 seconds so only looking forward is not a safe way to drive.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

When my truck came with a tailgate camera, I thought "this could save our marriage".

Adding another camera to the back of the TT could only make this better. The more information you have (spotter + mirrors + camera), the less stressful it is.

Cameras aren't essential, but certainly would help.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I agree that it could be helpful but in this case the OP was referring to the inadequate side mirrors on the TV and I was just saying that a camera is not a substitute for them. Sure cameras are great,not for me personally, and if finances are open to anything I would go for it but just don't cringe at the fact that a quality hitch can run from 600-2000 and opt for one that is 300 thinking it is good enough. Put the money into hitches and controllers before cameras
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
When my truck came with a tailgate camera, I thought "this could save our marriage".

Adding another camera to the back of the TT could only make this better. The more information you have (spotter + mirrors + camera), the less stressful it is.

Cameras aren't essential, but certainly would help.

Couldn't have said it any better " the more info you have the better " I pull a 40 ft 36REQS with a trailer behind that carrying a Rzr with a Ford crew cab long box . I am somewhere around 71' long . Michigan is a max of 75'. Camera is just another tool to make it easier .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I agree that it could be helpful but in this case the OP was referring to the inadequate side mirrors on the TV and I was just saying that a camera is not a substitute for them. Sure cameras are great,not for me personally, and if finances are open to anything I would go for it but just don't cringe at the fact that a quality hitch can run from 600-2000 and opt for one that is 300 thinking it is good enough. Put the money into hitches and controllers before cameras
+1

I've got no problem with disagreement, and I definitely respect the opinion of those with vastly more experience than mine. I didn't say that seeing behind was not important, nor did I say you shouldn't look in your mirrors and be aware of your surroundings. But I can see behind me what I would consider "adequately" without a camera. I would consider a camera on the back of the TT an unnecessary distraction. I can see well enough to determine if there is a vehicle behind me without the camera, therefore in my situation, I feel that there are many things on my list of a higher priority than a camera on my rear; that's something I would consider a "luxury" item. Proper mirrors would be high on that list as a "necessity".

My method may not work for everyone, but I feel safe out there on the road with what I have, and that's what's important. If someone needs to install a camera to feel safe, and tow confidently, then they absolutely should do it, and I would never hold it against them.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote