Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
Not much to add here but I will add a few good things to do but not necessary.
We use 2 way radios so we are not the couple that is yelling at each other while we are parking our rig. This is part of the entertainment Annie was speaking about. Once you learn that you don't have to yell at a radio it makes backing in with your helper much less stressful. I always walk my back in sites before I back in and decide where I am going to stop based on my slideouts, position of water/electric and where I want my front porch. By doing that my spotter (wife) now knows the plan and we don't have to discuss it while I am backing up.

Everything else here is perfect.
__________________

__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,114
I would think for most people it should be fairly similar, but I have seen many people just drive up and start backing in without ever getting out of their TV.

We get out look at the site conditions, where is the fire pit, electrical post, over hanging trees, water run off/ pooling conditions (don’t want the door there), and so forth. We talk about where we want the unit placed. After backing in;
• Check side to side level, and adjust as needed.
• Choke wheels.
• Disconnect from TV
• Level front to back
• Add wheel stabilizers (X-Chokes)
• If at an electric site, plug in after checking power conditions
• Drop corner stabilizers onto plywood pads
• Open slideout and awning
• Drop bunk ends
• DW sets up the tent ends and gets bedding ready all from the inside.
• I open the E exit windows from the outside and help make the outer edges of the beds (lot easier than crawling over the mattresses.
• Let the dog out of the TV
• Depending on the time of rolling in, remove lawn chairs, grill and outside stove from cargo hold, and them setup. Reheat dinner.
• Start campfire and relax

Total time, 15-30 minutes

If we are at a non electric site for more than 3 days, I will open the awning and slideout with the TV running and the power cord connected to the HTT, just to save a bit of battery power. I will also keep the TV running for a bit afterwards just to keep the battery as fully charged as possible.

Very rarely do we ever have any hook ups beyond electric.
__________________

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
stove, furnace, hot water heater....possibly external grill hook-up
Call me stupid... But the hot water heater runs off the electric right?
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
Call me stupid... But the hot water heater runs off the electric right?
Some, if not most newer ones, will run off electric or gas. Everyone I know that has used the elctric has told me they eat elements like candy. Not sure about that. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that though. My old camper's h2o heater was gas only. This one has gas & electric so I may find out myself soon enough.
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI
2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶J̶a̶y̶ ̶F̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶1̶9̶H̶
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would think for most people it should be fairly similar, but I have seen many people just drive up and start backing in without ever getting out of their TV.

We get out look at the site conditions, where is the fire pit, electrical post, over hanging trees, water run off/ pooling conditions (don’t want the door there), and so forth. We talk about where we want the unit placed. After backing in;
• Check side to side level, and adjust as needed.
• Choke wheels.
• Disconnect from TV
• Level front to back
• Add wheel stabilizers (X-Chokes)
• If at an electric site, plug in after checking power conditions
• Drop corner stabilizers onto plywood pads
• Open slideout and awning
• Drop bunk ends
• DW sets up the tent ends and gets bedding ready all from the inside.
• I open the E exit windows from the outside and help make the outer edges of the beds (lot easier than crawling over the mattresses.
• Let the dog out of the TV
• Depending on the time of rolling in, remove lawn chairs, grill and outside stove from cargo hold, and them setup. Reheat dinner.
• Start campfire and relax

Total time, 15-30 minutes

If we are at a non electric site for more than 3 days, I will open the awning and slideout with the TV running and the power cord connected to the HTT, just to save a bit of battery power. I will also keep the TV running for a bit afterwards just to keep the battery as fully charged as possible.

Very rarely do we ever have any hook ups beyond electric.
Those wheels must have really ticked you off.
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI
2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶J̶a̶y̶ ̶F̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶1̶9̶H̶
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
mcfarmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, West Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Those wheels must have really ticked you off.
But wait, there's more...he went so far as to X-Choke them as well!!
__________________
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
mcfarmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, West Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Some, if not most newer ones, will run off electric or gas. Everyone I know that has used the elctric has told me they eat elements like candy. Not sure about that. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that though. My old camper's h2o heater was gas only. This one has gas & electric so I may find out myself soon enough.
My 2006 DSI propane/electric water heater is on the original elements and I run primarily the electric mode except for initial heat up. Maybe the full timers are eating elements like M&M's but I haven't.

And you should watch me eat M&M's.
__________________
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Not much to add here but I will add a few good things to do but not necessary.
We use 2 way radios so we are not the couple that is yelling at each other while we are parking our rig. This is part of the entertainment Annie was speaking about. Once you learn that you don't have to yell at a radio it makes backing in with your helper much less stressful. I always walk my back in sites before I back in and decide where I am going to stop based on my slideouts, position of water/electric and where I want my front porch. By doing that my spotter (wife) now knows the plan and we don't have to discuss it while I am backing up.

Everything else here is perfect.
Fantastic advice! I couldn't say it better myself! This is exactly what we do, so I'm glad I can tell DW that I'm not nutty!
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
But wait, there's more...he went so far as to X-Choke them as well!!
spell check is wonderful!
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
spell check is wonderful!
Except spell check wouldn't have caught that, it's spelled correctly!

To proof read is wonderful, but we still all choke a wheel once in a while!

If I have to see a "their" instead of "there" one MORE TIME.....!
I might have to ignore it and move on... or my head will explode, but whatever.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.