Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #21

You have to take into account the very real danger of going up on your roof to put the cover on. Covers are huge piles of fabric, and it’s easy to lose your balance or put a foot wrong. All of those items sticking up from your roof are waiting to trip you up. You can easily have a life changing, or life ending, accident.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #22

Since our trailer is so small and only 10.5' high at top of A/C we can cover it from the ground. We use a 6' aluminum stepladder (we keep attached to the bathroom wall with velcro straps just inside the trailer) to inspect the roof for debris. Then we use two long telescoping aluminum poles that we use to support a home-made screen enclosure. We spread the cover (a breathable cloth car cover) out in front of the trailer, each puts a pole end under the back corner on each side, hoist it up and walk it over toward the back until the roof is covered. It works pretty well. Then we just tug here and there, hook the attached tie-downs and it's good to go.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #23

I pretty much did the same thing. I never had to get on the roof, I used a 6' aluminum latter also.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #24

You mention stains on your camper. One of the best reasons for covering is eliminating dirt and algae green build-up. Another is reducing sun damage. As others have mentioned, thorough cleaning and waxing is a must. Scrub your camper from the roof down, apply a quality carnauba wax, NOT regular car wax. Once carnauba wax is applied, bird poop or anything else will wipe right off.
GLENNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
The previous owner gave me a cover when I bought my camper. There are already stains on the outside siding. I don't think he used the cover that much. Will a cover still be any good and are there really good benefits covering my camper during the winters here in NJ?
You don't mention what the stains look like. Black streaking can be removed with Black Streak Remover, or other chemicals like Awesome, or Reliable cleaners. Just use as directed so graphics don't get damaged. Simple Green is another. One cleaned off, a cover keeps it clean until spring, so it's one less chore before camping season starts.
We cover the camper, and tires when we put her away for winter. The only occasion for a surprise, was when a squirrel went up under the cover, and chewed on the a/c shroud. Still looking for him!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #26

I use an Adco cover. The last one was destroyed from high winds. It lasted less than a year. Part of the problem was I did not secure tightly enough.

I live in a HOT climate (SoCal desert). My concerns are sun/heat/UV damage. The sun out here will destroy anything in a few summers.

My issues with cover....

1. As mentioned...safety climbing on roof. One fall and it may be all over!

2. Easy to tear. If every sharp corner/edge is not rounded off with some sort of pad/noodle/etc....it will tear VERY easily.

3. Besides safety....it is a PITA to put on/take off.

I thought a metal shed....but after considering the cost:
$4500 for an 18'Wx36'Lx12'T
$3500 for the concrete
$1800 for permits

Even though the metal cover can be used for other purposes, if RV is sold......I decided to save my $9800, as cost just doesn't make sense. If I ever get an overhead camper (future possibility), I can easily cover it with an Adco cover, as it is much shorter when removed from truck.

NOTE: I did receive a replacement cover from Adco...so I may install it in the next few weeks.

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENNEM View Post
You mention stains on your camper. One of the best reasons for covering is eliminating dirt and algae green build-up. Another is reducing sun damage. As others have mentioned, thorough cleaning and waxing is a must. Scrub your camper from the roof down, apply a quality carnauba wax, NOT regular car wax. Once carnauba wax is applied, bird poop or anything else will wipe right off.
Thanks good advice if you start out with new but I my TT had stains on it when I bought it. 4 years worth!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #28

Yes cover -
My ADCO TT cover fell apart. I bought a 30'x40' heavy duty tarp from Northern Tool for $129.00. to cover my 34' travel trailer.
An idea for others to consider before throwing away the old travel trailer cover is to cut-off all of the nylon straps, nylon quick connect hardware. With a little ingenuity re-use all of the straps, quick connect hardware on the new tarp. I probably could have gone with a smaller tarp but it works.
txpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #29

Cover tears

While putting my cover on the motorhome, it caught on the sharp corner of the solar panel on the roof and made a nice big V-shaped tear on the section that covers the solar panel on the roof. Very upsetting. Tried taping up with duct tape and gorilla tape, but both didn’t hold. The gorilla tape completely lifted off in one piece while some of the duct tape still stuck. Can anyone recommend a way to patch the tear so it doesn’t sweat? There was moisture underneath cover where tape had been.
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #30

How about a needle and tread? Not trying to be smart but sew up the hole.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Darlington View Post
While putting my cover on the motorhome, it caught on the sharp corner of the solar panel on the roof and made a nice big V-shaped tear on the section that covers the solar panel on the roof. Very upsetting. Tried taping up with duct tape and gorilla tape, but both didn’t hold. The gorilla tape completely lifted off in one piece while some of the duct tape still stuck. Can anyone recommend a way to patch the tear so it doesn’t sweat? There was moisture underneath cover where tape had been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
How about a needle and tread? Not trying to be smart but sew up the hole.
See post # v12 in this thread.
We used the sewing machine and sewed patched on the tears. Works great. In the center of the patched where the heavy zig-zaging is where the actual tear was.
Attached Thumbnails
COVER-1.jpg   COVER-3.jpg   COVER-2.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #32

Thot of that too. The fabric seems to tear easily once torn and not sure thread will wear well or keep out leaks. From your pictures, it looks like your cover is heavier and the tear was on the side where not as prone to having snow and water accumulate.
Where did you get the patch from?
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote