Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Mary
Posts: 347
Fathers day is coming up... Maybe a new truck?
__________________

__________________
2015 Jayco Jay Featherlight SLX16XRB (TT)
2007 Ford F150 Tow Vehicle (TV)
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #22
BJR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethlehem
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
Intrested in getting yr2015 x23b model specs dry 3905 ....gross 4950...hitch dry 365


TV 2013 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 max towing 5,200lbs
payload capacity 1450lbs

Thanks for your opinions!
I'm not sure I would be comfortable with this combination. 5,200 means you don't have the trailer towing package with the trans cooler, right?

I have a Silverado with 5.3 and the 3.08 gears but the trailering packages. With an X19H I've gotten the trans up to about 210 with ambient at 85. Stability-wise the trailer is fine. Motor-wise I wish I had the lower gears. I'm also within 500lb of the 7000lb GVWR.

Without the coolers and springs it would be the pits.
__________________

BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,114
I would contact Chevy (not the dealer) with your vin number and ask about your vehicle build. You can find out about how the tow rating is calculated, what gear ratios you have, do you have a tranny and power steering cooler and so forth. I called Dodge when I was looking at our 23B to ensure we could tow safely.

I suspect you should be good. Just remember typically the tow rating is calculated with a 170 pound driver and a fuel tank of fuel is the only load in the vehicle. Adding passengers and cargo affects your overall towing capacity.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
nwminnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Blaine
Posts: 285
It'll tow it but you won't be happy with it. My advice get the trailer because the x23b is awesome. Then after you recoupe the cost buy a bigger tow vehicle. That's what I did. Had a 5.4l f150 it towed it but not as well as I liked.
__________________
2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2018 5th wheel on its way
2011 x23b (sold)
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: caldwell
Posts: 30
Perhaps I should consider a lighter model....maybe x19h?
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Mary
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
It'll tow it but you won't be happy with it. My advice get the trailer because the x23b is awesome. Then after you recoupe the cost buy a bigger tow vehicle. That's what I did. Had a 5.4l f150 it towed it but not as well as I liked.
A 5.4 F150 was not as good as you liked?
__________________
2015 Jayco Jay Featherlight SLX16XRB (TT)
2007 Ford F150 Tow Vehicle (TV)
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would contact Chevy (not the dealer) with your vin number and ask about your vehicle build. You can find out about how the tow rating is calculated, what gear ratios you have, do you have a tranny and power steering cooler and so forth. I called Dodge when I was looking at our 23B to ensure we could tow safely.
Chevy's answer will be that he can tow safety up the rated capacity. And he will be able to. Tow safely that is. The real question is how well will it perform? As I said, it will probably be fine for short trips on relatively flat terrain.

As far as specs, no need to contact GM. He has everything he needs, the owners manual has a wealth of information on towing including a chart with all options, their respective tow ratings, and the GCWR for each, there is a sticker in the glove box with the RPO codes that can be easily deciphered online, and last but not least is the weight sticker in the door.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #28
Member
 
Swardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
Perhaps I should consider a lighter model....maybe x19h?
That's what we have - the 2014 Explorer got it done, but we live on the praries without major hills. I wished for (and received) an F150 for the job (and for many other reasons as well as noted in previous post...).

If you're not in a hurry, you'll get there (with a line of traffic behind you...)
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: caldwell
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Chevy's answer will be that he can tow safety up the rated capacity. And he will be able to. Tow safely that is. The real question is how well will it perform? As I said, it will probably be fine for short trips on relatively flat terrain.

As far as specs, no need to contact GM. He has everything he needs, the owners manual has a wealth of information on towing including a chart with all options, their respective tow ratings, and the GCWR for each, there is a sticker in the glove box with the RPO codes that can be easily deciphered online, and last but not least is the weight sticker in the door.

Sticker on the door says 7300 GVRW
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
Sticker on the door says 7300 GVRW
I was referring more to payload.
__________________

__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.