Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #41

I have not had the repair done yet. However, I did receive a reimbursement check for all the expenses I incurred getting broken leaf springs replaced. I haven't decided yet whether I'm getting the bump stops installed since I've decided to have the Morryde suspension upgrade done. All the new leaf springs should last long enough to get me to Indiana.
dogdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #42

5th wheel recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdrs View Post
Just curious if any other Pinnacle owners have received a safety recall letter from Jayco about a suspension problem. The letter states: "Under certain conditions, the suspension system may allow tire contact to the wheel well and surrounding structure of the fifth wheel. This may cause damage to the tire, premature tire wear and/or cause handling issues that could lead to increased risk of a crash." They supposedly have a fix in the design process but not the parts yet.....another notice to follow in January. BTW, during our travels last summer, we had 3 leaf springs break on 3 different occasions. (And yes, I had the rig weighed and we are under weight.) Anyone else?
I took my 2017 Jayco Pinnacle to my dealer (120 miles one way) last week. I just got a call from the dealer and he said: Jayco sent out another update to the recall that said, owner must take the 5th wheel to a certified weigh scales and have it weighed in a certain way before any work is performed. I think Jayco is extending this problem out too far because of their engineering problem, I also think they want to put the blame on the owner when it is obvious they caused the problem. When you purchase a RV you would expect the builder to engineer everything correctly. One big thing was the sewer drain line comes out about a 10” off the ground. I wondered why this wasn’t higher but looking at the height of 13’ 6” they could not raise the unit, it would be over 14’ and still maintain the current flow out of the black tanks. Then they put “E” rated tires of China origin, they lasted 4000 miles. Replaced with G rated of China origin, they lasted about 6000 miles before a total catastrophic failure that wrapped a tire around the axel. Thinking that it was still my fault in some way, and yes the tires had the correct pressures and was never run hot. I had tire monitors on them since the 5th wheel was new and they were monitored closely for pressure and temperature. No warning when the tire blew. I checked the wheel wells and the slideout walls, and the tires were making contact with the floor of the slideouts and also the side walls of the tires were rubbing. I then put 17.5” wheels and “J” rated Continental tires, which has a smaller circumference than the 16” tires, and also found a broken right rear spring. At this time I am thinking that there is something seriously wrong with this 5th wheel. I also put ¼”x10”x12” aluminum pieces on the floor underside of the slideouts, sprayed then flat black. Then I receive the recall in the fall of 2019. So after hauling the 5th wheel to the dealer I looked at the pieces of aluminum and the black paint was rubbed down to fresh aluminum. The road over to the dealer is fairly smooth 4 lane road and about 90% Interstate that was been freshly paved last summer. I have never overloaded the 5th wheel as a matter of fact the 5th wheel is currently empty of all personal items except a Splendide washer and dryer. I will be interested when I go over Monday and take it to some certified scales. It should not weigh much more than the original 5th wheel, except for antifreeze, washer and dryer, and filled propane tanks. I have never had problems with the other three 5th wheels such as what I am having on this 5th wheel. I don’t know what Jayco is going or will do to remedy these problems but warmer weather is coming and my wife and I will be ready to hit the road.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #43

Safety Recall

I got word from Camping World that they had all the parts to perform. I even got four new Goodyears G rated tires to replace the ones I had. No mention weighing.
prbushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #44

Did camping world tell you if the springs will be heavier duty? My dealer claimed that tires were not part of the recall and that I would have to talk to Jayco about that.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbushaw View Post
I got word from Camping World that they had all the parts to perform. I even got four new Goodyears G rated tires to replace the ones I had. No mention weighing.
Do you know what Camping World has done or what they will do?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #46

Safety recall

What I was told was that the springs are heavier. The tires got replaced because when the springs broke the tires were damaged I believe they are installing new equalizers along with wet bolts. They are also installing bump stops.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #47

I posted over two years ago about mine. The left rear tire would rub on my slide. Never rubbed the floor but outer tire sidewall would rub inside lower edge of slide. I had to take it to the factory on my dime and lv it there. Engineering fix was to replace Lippert springs with dexter springs and the morride suspension center rubber mount with a heavier one. This cured that problem and also made FW 1.5 inches higher. At this time they were getting reports of tire rub and mine was the first one the factory had to look at. They told me the springs were the same load capacity but the Lippert springs were junk. Between this a new roof, outriggers and a long list they had it six weeks. I spent several k making two round trips from Florida. Left my truck at airport and flew back since it was to take two weeks to fix everything.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #48

5th wheel recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKendall View Post
I took my 2017 Jayco Pinnacle to my dealer (120 miles one way) last week. I just got a call from the dealer and he said: Jayco sent out another update to the recall that said, owner must take the 5th wheel to a certified weigh scales and have it weighed in a certain way before any work is performed. I think Jayco is extending this problem out too far because of their engineering problem, I also think they want to put the blame on the owner when it is obvious they caused the problem. When you purchase a RV you would expect the builder to engineer everything correctly. One big thing was the sewer drain line comes out about a 10” off the ground. I wondered why this wasn’t higher but looking at the height of 13’ 6” they could not raise the unit, it would be over 14’ and still maintain the current flow out of the black tanks. Then they put “E” rated tires of China origin, they lasted 4000 miles. Replaced with G rated of China origin, they lasted about 6000 miles before a total catastrophic failure that wrapped a tire around the axel. Thinking that it was still my fault in some way, and yes the tires had the correct pressures and was never run hot. I had tire monitors on them since the 5th wheel was new and they were monitored closely for pressure and temperature. No warning when the tire blew. I checked the wheel wells and the slideout walls, and the tires were making contact with the floor of the slideouts and also the side walls of the tires were rubbing. I then put 17.5” wheels and “J” rated Continental tires, which has a smaller circumference than the 16” tires, and also found a broken right rear spring. At this time I am thinking that there is something seriously wrong with this 5th wheel. I also put ¼”x10”x12” aluminum pieces on the floor underside of the slideouts, sprayed then flat black. Then I receive the recall in the fall of 2019. So after hauling the 5th wheel to the dealer I looked at the pieces of aluminum and the black paint was rubbed down to fresh aluminum. The road over to the dealer is fairly smooth 4 lane road and about 90% Interstate that was been freshly paved last summer. I have never overloaded the 5th wheel as a matter of fact the 5th wheel is currently empty of all personal items except a Splendide washer and dryer. I will be interested when I go over Monday and take it to some certified scales. It should not weigh much more than the original 5th wheel, except for antifreeze, washer and dryer, and filled propane tanks. I have never had problems with the other three 5th wheels such as what I am having on this 5th wheel. I don’t know what Jayco is going or will do to remedy these problems but warmer weather is coming and my wife and I will be ready to hit the road.
I saw the correspondents that Jayco sent to the dealer. I then took the TV to the CAT certified scale and weighed the TV by it's self. Then I picked up the 5th wheel and took both to the scales and weighed them together. The 5th wheel weighed 2100lbs less than the GVWR of the 5th Wheel at 14400lbs. The dealer has sent this in to Jayco. The cost of the 2 weighings was $12 for the first and $2.50 for the second. Total $14.50.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #49

I have finally gotten the recall repairs done. I am pleased with how it looks. It appears much more substantial than the previous system. Each spring is rated for 4000lbs instead of 3500. The u-bolts are much heavier too. It did lift the rear of the rig a little, giving much better clearance between the tires and fenders/body. We now sit more level when hooked to the truck and I checked the height and it's still under 13'5". The ride seems about the same but the roads between the dealer and home are pretty smooth overall.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #50

Quote:
I have finally gotten the recall repairs done. I am pleased with how it looks. It appears much more substantial than the previous system. Each spring is rated for 4000lbs instead of 3500. The u-bolts are much heavier too. It did lift the rear of the rig a little, giving much better clearance between the tires and fenders/body. We now sit more level when hooked to the truck and I checked the height and it's still under 13'5". The ride seems about the same but the roads between the dealer and home are pretty smooth overall.
I took mine to the dealer the 7th of February and it is still there. I sent a text message yesterday for an update and haven't heard anything back yet. How long was yours in for?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #51

Thanks for the info. I got word the work is done on my trailer but I haven't picked it up yet. I don't mind the extra height as I always thought the rear jacks were too low. Also good to know that it is still under 13 6
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #52

I dropped it off on Saturday and picked it up Wednesday. It was actually done on Tuesday but I couldn't get down there in time.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #53

Quote:
I dropped it off on Saturday and picked it up Wednesday. It was actually done on Tuesday but I couldn't get down there in time.
Thanks for the information. I better give them a call again.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #54

I should say that I had to take it to the dealer for the initial inspection which only took a couple hours. They then ordered the parts, which took about two weeks or so to get, then I took it back for the repair.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #55

Quote:
I should say that I had to take it to the dealer for the initial inspection which only took a couple hours. They then ordered the parts, which took about two weeks or so to get, then I took it back for the repair.
I had some damage from a tire blow out and some tire rub damage. Hopefully they are fixing that too.I really am not in a big hurry to get it back until April.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #56

They replaced all four tires on mine when they did the recall.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbushaw View Post
They replaced all four tires on mine when they did the recall.
Really? I requested they did not replace my tires. I had just put J rated tires on the 5th wheel and I didn't think they would replace those tires. They were not cheap China tires and I replaced the wheels also. I believe the weight rating was 4000 lbs per tire. I really just want the suspension fixed.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #58

North Trail inspected mine today and added 4 of these. They weighed it and showed me the pictures. Weights were 3000 and 2740 on one side then 3340 and 3440 on the other side. The tech said according to his instructions that was all I needed. I was the first one North Trail had done
Attached Thumbnails
jayco recall.jpg  
Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #59

That looks good it looks like that it will last but time will tell.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:13 AM   #60

Took my 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS in 3 weeks ago for the inspection and they said you need everything on the list springs, bump stops and whatever else was on the list. Dropped it off again on Monday off this week and had it back Friday morning. So now let the camping begin. Camping World in Davenport Iowa did a great job on getting it in and out the door.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote