Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
3's enough, I would love to speak to you by phone about this issue. Would you be willing to call me or email a phone number?
Try sending him a PM (private message) as he may not see this thread.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #12

Got it. Sent a PM with some details.

I was lurking...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #13

Allright so here are some pics of a mod in the works. Some pics are that of the "awsome" duct work.... I took a photo with a pen cap for scale as to just how narrow these ducts are in providing airflow to the entire unit. My mod is simple yet effective I hope in steering the air towards the ducts as opposed to being soley forced into them. The fan blows air directly down at the chill grill which creates turbulance and in turn causes some inefficient airflow IMHO. In my units case running 30 ft I need all the flow I can get. I fashioned this out of simple roofing flashing which is lightweight and flexible. It will be sealed with more metal tape. This mod also allows me to use the dump feature should I want to since the side vents are not blocked.

My unit has two ducts one either side of the chill grill which is why I have it peaked in the middle. One duct goes forward and the other aft to the bunk house. This could be used in almost any case of a ducted unit by just adjusting the placement of the peak to guide the air to the ducts as needed. I still have some work to do with taping and sealing before buttoning it all up but since there was some interest thought I would post the mod in progress.

This mod is untested as of today due to boondocking and no need for AC as of yet. I did notice a little increase in airflow from the ducts in the extreme locations so hopefully it will keep the unit cooler. Overall the install was sealed well at factory but needs some smoothing out to cut down on the turbulance with all the rough areas. Metal duct tape should help smooth this out along with some trimming of the foam which I started to install but did not complete due to time.
Attached Thumbnails
365 AC Mod #1.jpg   365 AC Mod #2.jpg   365 AC Mod #4.jpg   365 AC Mod #7.jpg   365 AC Mod #6.jpg  

365 AC Mod #5.jpg   365 mod #8.jpg  

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #14

i tried to load my pics but i guess the files are too big. im new to this stuff. it appears my ducts were never cut through into the plenum like yours.Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC issue 001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3555

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC issue 002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3556

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC issue 003.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	3557

Now my curiosity is up since my dealer obviously never thought to look into this. i will post an update on this after i get the "mobil mansion" out of the shop.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #15

WOW! How the heck did that one pass QA. You have vents I am assuming throughout the unit and since you have 2 that is the LR unit you are photographing right? One would think that if no air was coming out of the vents that there was a problem. Your grill is your obviuos only feed into the LR so it must be hot in the bunk room. Is it a chill grill like the one in my photo?

My MBR unit, should I decide to install is ducted yet but the ducts are within 1.5"'s of the unit with beam foam like your pictures seperating the two.

On edit. I installed the flashing as pictured above but decided to tape it in and fully seal the air duct work off. Let me tell you that once I did that it blew out all the construction debris clear through to my bunkhouse. I have a good stiff breeze back there now and I am going to cut in another vent into the existing duct to get more volume in there while sleeping. Closing two of the LR vents really gets both ends increased flow for sleeping comfort.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
WOW! How the heck did that one pass QA. You have vents I am assuming throughout the unit and since you have 2 that is the LR unit you are photographing right? One would think that if no air was coming out of the vents that there was a problem. Your grill is your obviuos only feed into the LR so it must be hot in the bunk room. Is it a chill grill like the one in my photo?

My MBR unit, should I decide to install is ducted yet but the ducts are within 1.5"'s of the unit with beam foam like your pictures seperating the two.

On edit. I installed the flashing as pictured above but decided to tape it in and fully seal the air duct work off. Let me tell you that once I did that it blew out all the construction debris clear through to my bunkhouse. I have a good stiff breeze back there now and I am going to cut in another vent into the existing duct to get more volume in there while sleeping. Closing two of the LR vents really gets both ends increased flow for sleeping comfort.
Do you happen to have a picture of the mod taped in? Did you tape it to the removed cover or to the interior? In the end did it actually cool the bunkhouse better than it did before?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Do you happen to have a picture of the mod taped in? Did you tape it to the removed cover or to the interior? In the end did it actually cool the bunkhouse better than it did before?
Krackeer, responded to your PM. It's taped into the unit then I re-mounted the chill grill. Yes airflow increased and adding a vent also helped double the volume of airflow in the BH.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB