Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Another Slide Problem

Hello,

It was a dark and stormy Halloween night when I went to pump anti-freeze in the Black Tank rinse.

Had a look inside and found some water dripping from the from of the slide because where I have it stored is not quite level it flowed that way. The drip seemed to be coming from the small hole along the edge of the bottom liner.

I went back today and opened the slide while it was still light and found the failing tape on the slide roof.

I spent a few hours here last night and found out about Eternabond. Do I need to remove the bad tape or can I clean it (how) and just cover it? Their site says use eternaprime for application below 40F.

I also think my slide probably needs adjusting. When I close it, even though from inside it looks like the top stops first, bottom continues in and floor lifts slightly, the outside top is not as tight as the bottom.

I used a tire depth gauge from the same point at each corner and get from the outside trim to wall: 24 mm top front, 22 mm top rear, 13 mm bottom front and 19 mm bottom rear.

Is that tight enough or should I buy a cover to protect it until a springtime repair?

I did see this post last night https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...elp-53691.html

but my slide is not like that all I see are the two tracks on the underside.

2105 Greyhawk 31FK

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20191031_201853.jpg   20191101_180815.jpg   20191101_180722.jpg  
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

JohnK,

Welcome to JOF

Just a couple initial comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
snip..... Do I need to remove the bad tape..... snip
Yes, otherwise not doing so will compromise the effectiveness of the new Eternabond application. Removing the old tape will take a little patience, but using a hot air blow dryer will help a lot (been there, done it). After applying the new Eternabond sealer tape, run a bead of Dicor caulk along the edge of the Eternabond that has contact with the slide flange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
I also think my slide probably needs adjusting. When I close it, even though from inside it looks like the top stops first, bottom continues in and floor lifts slightly, the outside top is not as tight as the bottom.....snip
Sounds like you have a "through-frame" style slide based on your description, but I'm not that familiar with the Class C slides and may be mistaken on my assumption. Reference the following JOF thread to confirm if your slide is similar..., if it is there is a link provided (Post #4) on how to adjust (if required).

JOF thread reference: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-66190.html

I would apply the new Eternabond first.., then revisit the slide's perimeter sealing effectiveness. Confirm the condition of all perimeter seals, and check the black metal trim (screwed on) on the outside slide walls for any moisture intrusion. A water test around the closed slide would be a good test as well.

Having a consistent slide gap around the slide when closed is ideal, but a "minor" inconsistency (top to bottom, and/or side to side) can still be effective.

Just food for thought.

I'm sure other JOF members will chime in as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

As Rustic Eagle said replace the tape and that little bit of trim differential is normal.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Eternabond is wonderful stuff - I've used a lot of it. My suggestion is that after you've applied the Eternabond, and heavily rolled it down, apply a "ramp" of caulk (I'd use Proflex) to the leading edge of the Eternabond. What can happen is that the slide seal can stick to the edge of the Eternabond and gradually loosen it. The "ramp" seals the edge of the Eternabond, and makes it easier for the seal to slip over it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

While you have your slide partially out, run your hand in-between the slide and the roof. How many seals do you have? Do your seal(s) feel smooth the complete length? When was the last conditioner applied?

It's not that uncommon for the floor to lift while the slide contacts the wall when retracting. You should have the same contact depth on the front and rear sides.

Attached Thumbnails
81uPEfTHTrL._SL1500_.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote