Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #1

Crazy Seal installation

I wanted to start a thread to showing my crazy seal installation and progression for anyone that wanted to see it from a non company man and a very non professional person. The photos on this particular post show the cleaning process. In the last photo you can see that my roof really isn't that dirty. You can see where I was cleaning with the pressure washer and where it was to begin with.

I rented a covered roof spot at a storage facility. They fortunately had a slot that had roofs that are probably twenty feet up but still out of the rain.

Yesterday we did the cleaning of the old sealant using paint thinner and taping up of the edges around the edge of the camper and also around the roof penetrations and fixtures. I don't have pictures yet but I will. As my trailer is only about two years old, and I have already done a ton of Dicor sealing, my ceiling is still in pretty good shape so I didn't remove much at all. Crazy seal says it can go over it.

I'm probably not 1/3 through but I will say already that this process is a ton of prep work. It is easy to get lazy on it. But fortunately I have my girlfriend helping me. She did a great job with the paint thinner cleaning around the roof penetrations on the old sealer while I did taping.

I will also say that I would have preferred RVroof.com to have done the job and I know this won't be as thick but it just wasn't in the cards financially. Even the cost of the crazy seal was a stretch but I've already done enough repairs that something needed to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
20210715_182105.jpg   20210715_175411.jpg   20210715_175408.jpg   20210715_175405.jpg  
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:16 AM   #2

Is there a reason you decided not to use the Dicor “ self leveling “ on your roof.
Attached Thumbnails
D6361A9D-181A-4BF5-B20A-BFB7EDFF3E8C.jpg  
Old 07-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Yes. First I'm doing the whole roof, not just the seams and roof penetrations. Second, I was up there with Dicor all the time and it was cracking every month or two. I've had major roof issues with a previous trailer and I just don't want to deal with them again.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #4

Here are today's pictures. I did the cut-ins, removed tape, and rolled the first layer. The edges came out as good as I could have hoped for, with impatient me doing the work. Most of them are nice and straight.

I did discover an area of about 0.75 Sq ft that looks like the membrane separated from the substrate. Probably happened during butt scoots while cleaning the existing Dicor by hand. Cut a slit and it doesn't appear to be wet, so I will smooth it out and seal.

I forgot to get a picture when I was done rolling so I apologize for that.

The last two pictures show the difference between the patch and the seal. The patch has what appears to be a lot more fibers. It's a much rougher liquid.
Attached Thumbnails
20210717_124550.jpg   20210717_104004.jpg   20210717_085402.jpg   20210717_091516.jpg   20210717_085406.jpg  

Old 07-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

PS: ignore the hole on the side wall. It is going to be fixed professionally. Tree limb hit it.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

New pictures for the second coat applied today. Much easier process the second time around.

I think this second layer went on more smoothly. It's not as smooth as the guys that spray it on, but I didn't really expect it. I still think it will look fine, even with clumsy fat me stepping around up there. I wore white socks as advised, and I'm glad I did.

It seems this dries thicker than it went on. Maybe, maybe not. But I'm pretty happy with how much tougher my roof will be.
Attached Thumbnails
20210724_122609.jpg   20210724_122603.jpg   20210724_122600.jpg   20210724_122555.jpg  
Old 07-26-2021, 05:40 AM   #7

Here are what I hope will be my final pictures of this project. I'm very happy with the results, especially the edges along the roof. Because I'm somewhat clumsy and can get I don't care attitude when I am in a hurry and hot and hungry, I was afraid that would be the case. But I took my time with the taping and boy am I glad I did. Some of the pictures show the edges where the roof membrane and the new crazy seal go over the side to the gutter. For the most part, it is a pretty sharp edge and looks good in my humble opinion.

I'm not sure but it seems like it cures thicker than it went on. That is something that is hard to measure but I can for sure say this roof is much tougher than the original thin membrane. And I am pretty confident that the seams and roof penetrations won't be an issue anymore or at least not near as much. I was putting an ungodly amount of Dicor up there constantly, and I don't feel like I was overdoing it too much. It was constantly cracking and I just didn't want to have another roof issue like I had before on a previous trailer. It wasn't going to be long before I spent the same amount of money on dicor that I did on the crazy seal system!

As I said before, let me be clear. This stuff is not the same as a previous product I used on a previous trailer, which was installed by RVroof.com. Their system is excellent, and probably thicker. It definitely is prettier than what I was able to achieve. I surely wish I could have done them some more business but I'm in a different Financial situation now that I'm divorced. Plus I will add that a member here helped me financially with that roof but I believe he said at that time not to say anything publicly about it. I will thank him right here again for helping me at that time in my life. Anyway, I digress.

Observations:
1. This is definitely a good option assuming the sun doesn't kill it. With a 50-year guarantee, I hope it doesn't.

2. Labor-intensive. I address this in my previous post. I wish I was in better shape because I had to make sure I didn't work on this the day before a work day.

3. Not as pretty and smooth as the spray-on professional options, but I knew that when I purchased it.

4. Take your time taping it up. Even as impatient as I am, it was worth it. There are people, probably most of you here, that are pickier than me. I didn't worry too much about how it looked around the edges of my roof penetrations although I did my best to tape them properly. I even went back with a sharp knife to clean them up.

5. Out of the sunlight is best. I can't imagine doing this work with the sun bearing down on me, not just for the heat Factor but because of staring at the light-colored roof in the Sun.

6. I loved the crazy patch. It had visibly more fibers and was thicker than the crazy seal top layer. So you could really glop it on wherever you wanted it, especially problem areas like roof penetrations, and still spread it out nicely.

7. The main Crazy Seal layer is much smoother, so it helps smooth out the grainy look of the Patch.

8. Follow instructions carefully. Mainly, when it says apply the top layer very soon after the Patch, do so. For the most part I was able to get this done but occasionally I either ran a paint brush or a paint roller across an area that had been done 15 or 20 minutes prior and this would upset the Cure. For lack of a better description, it looked like a pudding skin that had been moved and wrinkled up. So either applying more patch or applying a heavier coat of top layer would help take care of it but it might not fix it perfectly depending on your preferences.

9. White socks, no shoes, for second day/layer.

10. Slicker than dog snot on a door knob. While taping for the second layer, I discovered that if you put a sweaty arm down to prop yourself up, you may slip and fall off that prop. It's sort of funny but it could be dangerous so be careful. If I ever go up there while it's wet with Dew or rain, I will be careful for sure

11. Pull your tape as soon as you have the top layer in place. And I mean Within just a very few minutes if not immediately. This is not paint, remember. This is silicone and it's like tearing a rubber sheet if it dries too much. I probably waited a little too long on the first time but then when I went back and taped it again for the second layer and removed it much more quickly, things went better.

12. Use a ground ladder. The ladder on the back of the trailer is nice for just normal RV stuff but you don't want to be working with that darn thing.

13. I used a leaf blower rather frequently throughout the process except when I was actually applying wet product

14. Don't discover two-month-old rotten eggs in your refrigerator in the middle of the project like I did.
Attached Thumbnails
20210725_153306.jpg   20210725_153322.jpg   20210725_153310.jpg   20210725_153316.jpg   20210725_153257.jpg  

20210725_153246.jpg   20210725_153233.jpg   20210725_153227_001.jpg  
Old 02-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #8

How’s it holding up?

Can you give your experience with the crazy seal now that it’s been a few years since you applied?
DanG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG! View Post
Can you give your experience with the crazy seal now that it’s been a few years since you applied?
I haven't gotten on the roof and inspected it this year but I have driven by my trailer several times over the winter. I have not seen any peeling edges or anything like that. I fully suspect that this stuff will be just as good as the day it first cured. While it is not as pretty as the professionally sprayed on stuff, it has served its purpose well in protecting my roof and saving me a ton of money. I'll try to remember to post a good update and maybe some pictures when I inspect it for this year's camping season.

For what it's worth, I have the T-shirt I used to put it on and it has been through multiple Washings and the streaks of crazy seal on the shirt don't come off. I guess that's like going through storms with detergent in the rain.