Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Dead King Antenna?

Hi All. We have a 2020 Precept 31UL. Purchased used so no Jayco warranty. I do have Good Sam’s warranty.

Was watching over the air broadcast stations fine one evening. Next evening, nothing. Tried rescanning for stations and 0 stations were found. The power antenna button & light are on. TV’s play content on other inputs fine. All 3 TVs behaving the same.

I’m assuming that it’s the powered antenna but I don’t know how to test & confirm. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on if it might be something else?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #2

Get a TV signal app for your phone. Then use it to see what signals are in your area. If the app shows some that you don't have, its your antenna or TV.

We used to get tv, but don't any more. Turned out the antenna was Ok, but the trees grew too tall, blocking the signal.

Now we just talk to each other or play dominoes.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #3

You don’t say if you changed locations so first guess is a different location gives different results. But from your description I’d guess you were in the same location both nights. So, something else has changed. I think the antenna is a suspect but before replacing I’d suggest checking the coax connections roof to splitter (multi TV’s).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
You don’t say if you changed locations so first guess is a different location gives different results. But from your description I’d guess you were in the same location both nights. So, something else has changed. I think the antenna is a suspect but before replacing I’d suggest checking the coax connections roof to splitter (multi TV’s).
- Correct same location. 24 hours between channels and no-channels
- Any idea where the splitter might be? Or how to find it?
Old 02-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
- Correct same location. 24 hours between channels and no-channels
- Any idea where the splitter might be? Or how to find it?
Unfortunately no. From the locations of TV’s and antenna figure how you would route the coax. I would guess behind the walls in the storage bays. Try to follow the coax from the outside TV, it’ll probably disappear behind a wall that may be removable.

I read your original post again and note you mention “power antenna button” which I assume is the antenna booster. Possible the booster has a fault but still lights up.

You also mention the TV’s can play on other inputs. Is this a central DVD that connects to HDMI2 or something similar?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

Did you check all the coax connections you can access to make sure they are snug? I bought my TT new, and during the first couple of years I had reception problems. I finally pulled all the coax wall plate covers off and snugged up the connections on the backsides. Some of them were pretty loose. Reception improved after that.

I also replaced my antenna when it was 7 or 8 years old. It quit working all of a sudden, so I opened the antenna up and found small circuit board inside. Inspecting the board, I found that one of the traces had corroded away. I soldered a fine wire across the broken trace and it worked OK for a while. I finally decided to just buy a new antenna, thinking that the old circuit board was a problem waiting to happen.

One other thought. Where I'm at now my reception is spotty. I'm in a section of an RV park that's surrounded by trees. Some days I get a lot more channels that other days. Seems dependent on weather for the most part.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #7

Did your signal booster get turned off?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Unfortunately no. From the locations of TV’s and antenna figure how you would route the coax. I would guess behind the walls in the storage bays. Try to follow the coax from the outside TV, it’ll probably disappear behind a wall that may be removable.

I read your original post again and note you mention “power antenna button” which I assume is the antenna booster. Possible the booster has a fault but still lights up.

You also mention the TV’s can play on other inputs. Is this a central DVD that connects to HDMI2 or something similar?
I can't see anything from the antenna as it's sealed. I'll see if I can trace backwards from the TV's and or the antenna booster switch. Other TV's work fine by plugging directly into their HDMI port (no centralized switching).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Did you check all the coax connections you can access to make sure they are snug?
One other thought. Where I'm at now my reception is spotty. I'm in a section of an RV park that's surrounded by trees. Some days I get a lot more channels that other days. Seems dependent on weather for the most part.
I've checked connections at TV's and into the power antenna switch. I haven't tried the backside of the power antenna switch - but I will. I also plan to try and trace the connections from the antenna to the switch to splitter(s) to TVs.

I don't believe the issue has anything to do with interference as the issue has continued across multiple locations that we're wide open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Did your signal booster get turned off?
Booster light is on.