Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Eternabond, Dicor, or both (roof tear)

Found this tear on the edge of my roof. (ignore the hat, it was to block out the sun). Would it best to cover with Dicor, then place Etherbond over the tear and then dicor the edges of the etherbond. How long should the patch be, I was thinking 6 to 8 inches. Is this overkill. Minimal experience with roof repair on a TT.

The roof is less than 2 years old but I don't think I need to take it to the dealer and have them do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Tear.jpg  
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Is the base damaged under the roof material? I would likely seal it level with self leveling Dicor then when it sets put a 6 x 6 patch over the damaged area and then put a thin layer of caulk on the edge to prevent wind from lifting it.

It will then be better than new.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

How long is the tear?

I had a tear along the edge like that. I only applied eternabond. Make sure NOT stretch the eternabond, or it will pull up and release. I applied a piece that extended about an inch farther in each direction.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

This spring when we opened our TT for the season, we found a few tears like that at the edge of our roof. I'm guessing it was due to the cover. We used eternabond only on ours. We made sure there was a good inch or more of tape around each side side of the tear. The eternabond looked brand new when we closed the TT for the winter. All the edges were still intact and none were peeling or curling.

It can't hurt to apply both, just make sure the dicor is fully cured before applying eternabond.

-Michael

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

Tears like this are common when people put an extension ladder against the roof. I put a pool noodle around the sides of my extension ladder where it contacts the roof.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Tears like this are common when people put an extension ladder against the roof. I put a pool noodle around the sides of my extension ladder where it contacts the roof.
X2, this is how I tore mine! I now also put my stabilizers down with I go up on the roof.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

A strip of Eternabond will do the trick. Eternabond works, and doesn't need Dicor. I replaced all the Dicor on my new 26BH with Eternabond. it's the better product.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote