Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

Help with TV reception

Greetings fellow Jayco owners.

I have a little problem I need some help with.

I installed a new Wingard amplified batwing antenna on my coach. Upon hooking up my 32" smart Samsung I am unable to get any more channels other then the local PBS ones. I have run the tv's channel scan many times but just keep getting those same PBS channels. We have CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox local channels only about 20 miles from us but I can't get them to load into my TV. Anyone have any ideas what I may need to do now...

See attached photo that shows the antenna I installed.
Attached Thumbnails
20200816_143120 (1).jpg  
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Others will chime in but do you have an app that might show you where the TV antennas are located so that you can direct your antenna to that location? Also, I'm not familiar with your model but it's important to know which way is the "front" of the antenna so that you're not pointing the back toward a tower. It took me a year to figure out what side was the front on mine (mostly because I didn't use it much) and then my reception increased. I use the Antenna Point app to locate nearby television towers.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #3

Judgerr

Are you sure you didn't accidentally shut off the amplifier?
That happened to me once! Worth a shot.
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

I have this setup on my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer using the BAT WING antenna... Sitting here in my yard I can log the Washington DC Natl Broadcast stations with ease. They are some 50-60 miles away... I am running the internal RF Amplifier on my BAT WING antenna...

I use the TV WALL PLATE Panel to connect to my outside antenna.. This sends up 12VDC over the RG cable to power up the BAT WING internal Booster Amplifier.

I setup this antenna on every trip so it gets a good workout for us... I tried the KINGS antenna and it was probably a tad better but required to be really precise on pointing it towards the broadcast stations... The Winegard is more forgiving in this respect but still brings all the TV we want to watch when camping off-grid...

I can stick my hands out the un-zipped window here and rotate the antenna when needed. I have a TV CHannel RF meter inline with the RG coax and it will give me signal strength readings.

Being in a POPUP trailer it is a good idea to check on the WX Storms coming thru...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply Roy...

Thanks Roy, I also replaced the King antenna. Way to directional for me.

Again my problem is I can't receive any network channels other then our PBS stations. I'm aware of the built in amp in our camper and even with the amp turned on, the little red light is on, I still can not get those local stations, just PBS. I purchased another external amp but haven't hooked it up yet to see if I'll be able to get those local channels then. I'll post my results when I get it installed...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #6

It does help if you point the Wingman at the transmitter. Before we leave for a trip, I go to this website:

TV Fool

And input the coordinates of your campsite. It'll then tell you which direction to point the antenna. It really helps with searching for the stations you want, and getting a stronger signal.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:40 AM   #7

Great website

That TV FOOL is a great website. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of it before...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

I went into my coach and made sure its antenna was pointed directly to the north, where my local stations would be located. I rescanned the Samsung TV for channels and still only get those damn four PBS stations. I am getting so frustrated with my inability to receive my local stations I could just have a drink or two...LOL
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #9

This past week while camping up in Door County, Wisconsin, I kept attempting to get my TV to show some kind of picture, but without luck. I even hooked up two different signal amps, separately, again with no luck. From what I can figure my onboard signal amp, which came in the coach, is bad so I'm gonna order a new one and see if that works. I'm also hoping I'll be able to pull a new coax wire from inside the coach to the roof so everything will be new, new TV, new batwing antenna and then a new in the wall amp. If this doesn't work I'm gonna push the coach over a cliff...just kiddin...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
CAG

After years of trying to cheap it and use the antenna to get local while traveling I gave up and went with a Sat company and a portable antenna. You will fight with your over the air stuff until you go nuts. You get non-digital channels or have to move the antenna from one location to another to get various channels. I take the Tailgator out, set it on the ground, go back to the TV and start the search. In about 10 minutes I am watching digital TV.

If you want to spend your time in a frustrated search for TV channels continue with the over the air crap.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

Well I finally got my TV system to work. After doing my repair ass backwards I got it working. I replaced the batwing antenna and a new TV. Still nothing so I ordered a new Winegard amplified wall plug. Today I had time to replace the wall plug so I removed it. Once both screws were removed and I managed to pry it off the wall I discovered that once of the ferial connectors had it coax pulled out. Having once installed miles of coax and connectors I went and got my tools. I installed a new connector and screwed my coax from the wall plug to the TV. After reprograming the TV I got 9 different channels. What a dope I was...oh well, its working now...
Mosinee, WI.