Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #1

Hydraulic leak

Just went out to the camper to blow out the water lines, we have a couple of cool nights coming up, and found hydraulics fluid on the front right leg. The Snap pad held it. It appears to come from within the leg housing and dripping down the stainless leg. I did not see any outside anywhere. We are still under warranty, but dealer 300+ miles away. I have a call in to him since we are still having a furnace issue. Any ideas or suggestion/ Thanks

BTW, it is an Equalizer system.
Attached Thumbnails
20230201_160013[1].jpg   20230201_155308[1].jpg   20230201_160016[1].jpg   20230201_155759[1].jpg  
Old 02-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #2

If you don't see any oil higher up than the section I highlighted, then the reason for the leak would be the seal that is in the highlighted area. Not much you can do other than replace it if it is leaking. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.png  
Old 02-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #3

You might want to contact Equalizer directly to see what they say. Maybe they'll send you a new cylinder if you're comfortable replacing it. Or maybe there is a mobile tech they work with in your area. Never know unless you ask
Old 02-01-2023, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
If you don't see any oil higher up than the section I highlighted, then the reason for the leak would be the seal that is in the highlighted area. Not much you can do other than replace it if it is leaking. ~CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You might want to contact Equalizer directly to see what they say. Maybe they'll send you a new cylinder if you're comfortable replacing it. Or maybe there is a mobile tech they work with in your area. Never know unless you ask
Yes, there is no leak above the section you highlighted.
I will call Equalizer and see what they say, thanks
Old 02-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Yes, there is no leak above the section you highlighted.
I will call Equalizer and see what they say, thanks
If you are out of warranty, a hydraulic shop can repair this leak if they can obtain a seal for it. Otherwise a new cylinder would be much more costly. ~CA
Old 02-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #6

Check your fittings closely for leaks, ATF is really thin and might be hard to detect. To me, it seems odd to be leaking from the cylinder end seal, as the most pressure would be at the top end of the cylinder.

If it is the cylinder end seal it may have to be replaced, my dealer could not get the foot pad off to replace that silly rubber bumper ring and swapped the whole thing out.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Check your fittings closely for leaks, ATF is really thin and might be hard to detect. To me, it seems odd to be leaking from the cylinder end seal, as the most pressure would be at the top end of the cylinder.
Good point, perhaps it leaked when it was raised last time and the fluid collected in the footer prior to being lowered.

I am not aware of what options the leveler controller has, but until it is checked out I would try not to raise the leveler leg all the way up, just about a 1/2" from all the way up perhaps which would (may) reduce the pressure on the seal, if that is an option to do. Keep in mind if it started to lose a lot of fluid while up, it could slowly lower itself on its own, something to keep an eye on. ~CA
Old 02-02-2023, 04:09 AM   #8

Dealer called me last night while driving home. He said they will replace the whole leg, mounts and all. Now I am trying to get them to allow a local mobile outfit to do the work. While doing this, they can also look at the furnace.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Good point, perhaps it leaked when it was raised last time and the fluid collected in the footer prior to being lowered.

I am not aware of what options the leveler controller has, but until it is checked out I would try not to raise the leveler leg all the way up, just about a 1/2" from all the way up perhaps which would (may) reduce the pressure on the seal, if that is an option to do. Keep in mind if it started to lose a lot of fluid while up, it could slowly lower itself on its own, something to keep an eye on. ~CA
It doesn't appear to be a whole lot of fluid at this point, and I will check it again this morning. I wiped the leg dry yesterday and last I checked, it was dry.