Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
find someplace to park the trailer away from home and any remote control device for a few days. check on it daily. Did you talk to the neighbors yet??
I guess I am confused. I disconnected the lead from the control module and verified that the hand remote would not operate the lights. With that lead still disconnected the lights came on with no input from me. I would think that this confirms that the issue is in the wiring and not control module or signal receiver. Am I missing something?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #22

Another observation made today. For the last 5 days the RV was plugged into shore power with the battery turned off and the lead for the lights disconnected from the control module. The lights did not come on. Today, with it still connected to shore power and with the control module lead still disconnected., I turned the battery switch on. The lights came on within about 2 minutes.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #23

Update to my last post. Last night with the rv plugged into shore power, battery turned off and lead still disconnected, the lights turned on. So that is not a variable.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #24

Problem solved

After isolating everything, I came to the conclusion that the problem was with the latching light conversion module, which is directly connected to the remote control module. So, I ordered the part from LCI. It apparently had to be manufactured as there was a 3 week lead time. I received the part the day before Thanksgiving and installed it the same day. After installation, I turned power back on and the lights worked properly with the remote and manual switch and they have not come back on by themselves since the install.

I cut the shrink wrap off the old conversion module (switch) and found corrosion on the board which would cause it to short out. Not sure what would cause the corrosion, maybe from body oils (improper handling) during the manufacturing process or moisture getting on the board, as the end of shrink wrap are not sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
light module.jpg   bad switch1.jpg   bad switch2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
After isolating everything, I came to the conclusion that the problem was with the latching light conversion module, which is directly connected to the remote control module. So, I ordered the part from LCI. It apparently had to be manufactured as there was a 3 week lead time. I received the part the day before Thanksgiving and installed it the same day. After installation, I turned power back on and the lights worked properly with the remote and manual switch and they have not come back on by themselves since the install.

I cut the shrink wrap off the old conversion module (switch) and found corrosion on the board which would cause it to short out. Not sure what would cause the corrosion, maybe from body oils (improper handling) during the manufacturing process or moisture getting on the board, as the end of shrink wrap are not sealed.
Electrical gremlins are a PITA. Add in cheap circuit boards and the problems compound.

Glad you got it figured out and fixed!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #26

Did you buy it from Linda Blair, by any chance?