Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Need help with water pump problem

My husband was dewinterizing our trailer this afternoon. As he was trying to run water through the system, we ran into an unusual problem. If he turns on just the cold (or just the hot), the pump vibrates and pulsates loudly. If he turns on both the cold and hot together, it runs smoothly. This happens at all faucets. Does anyone know what would cause this? Is the pump going out? Thanks so much for any help you can give!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

The typical RV water pump usually either works correctly or doesn't work at all.
Is he sure the winterize valve is Off, the hot water heater bypass valve is Off, and if it has an exterior shower as well as the interior shower that both have their valves Off?

As a side note, when is the last time the water pump filter (connected to the pump) and all faucet aerators were cleaned of hard water or debris?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick reply. I cleaned the aerator in the kitchen and while it was off, the pump ran fine...but as soon as I put the clean aerator back on, it started thumping again. Any back pressure on just the hot or cold, creates the problem. My husband had already checked the filter on the pump. It was fine. The mystery continues...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

So...good news! After my husband filled the hot water heater, the problem went away...for now. Please don't hesitate to send me any other ideas...I am not sure it won't be back.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

My water pump does that occasionally, especially in spring when I take it out for the first time. A pulsating/vibrating/loud pump usually indicates air still in the system. You stated that you tried the faucets. Turn on the shower water, flush the toilet, outside shower, outside kitchen sink if equipped and see if it calms down after that.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My water pump does that occasionally, especially in spring when I take it out for the first time. A pulsating/vibrating/loud pump usually indicates air still in the system. You stated that you tried the faucets. Turn on the shower water, flush the toilet, outside shower, outside kitchen sink if equipped and see if it calms down after that.
X2 - air in the system will cause this (called cavitation). Once you get all of the air out of the system you will be fine.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote