Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #1

New tool I love

So I’m in the process of doing some overall preventative maintenance on our 2021 Jayco travel trailer as time and weather permits. I’ve went around the roof penetrations and along edge seams with Eternabond and now removing the silicone sealant from the exterior siding and sealed joints (basically all the trim pieces) with Sika 221 sealant. This Sika 221 is awesome. Very thick and adheres well BUT it is hard to get through a caulk gun. It literally feels like trying to push thick peanut butter through a tube of caulk. I bought a Ryobi battery powered caulk gun. Folks this thing is the ticket! I’m in the “work smarter not harder” stage of life and enjoy finding tools that make work less painful. The thick viscosity of the 221 doesn’t phase this caulk gun. Spits it out perfectly! I’ve found I don’t use as much product as I can maintain a consistent bead.

Also for anyone doing this a caulk remover tool is a must have too.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:50 AM   #2

I have a Ryobi powered caulk gun as well and it works great. Couple of thoughts, not sure about Silka 221 but for Dicor (and other caulks/sealants I have used) it is best to have a room temperature or warmer tube to help with the flow. Also, if you try to go too fast the tube will blow out from the bottom (not a fun experience). ~CA
Old 02-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have a Ryobi powered caulk gun as well and it works great. Couple of thoughts, not sure about Silka 221 but for Dicor (and other caulks/sealants I have used) it is best to have a room temperature or warmer tube to help with the flow. Also, if you try to go too fast the tube will blow out from the bottom (not a fun experience). ~CA
Temps were in the upper 60’s to low 70’s when I first used the Sika 221. Temps weren’t the issue it’s just a super thick product.

I have heard about the blowouts. Something I’m sure will happen. I’ve certainly had it happen with a traditional caulk gun.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #4

I picked up a Milwaukee M18 caulk gun (since I'm already deep in their ecosystem) and I agree, it's a lifesaver.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote