Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #1

Propane leak at refrigerator

When we arrived to our location last week I found that the refrigerator had partially come out of the cabinet. Someone had apparently replaced screws for some reason with ones that weren't adequate. Lit the refrigerator and shortly began to smell an odor, neighboring camper said he believed the odor to be the dirt and dust on the fins being heated. I wasn't comfortable with that assessment. There was a fire department presence at the event we attended so I asked them to bring a sniffer to check it out. Definitely a propane leak. The leak appears to be coming from the joint pointed at by the screwdriver tip. For some reason my picture is rotated. The joint is at the right hand side with the fins running horizontally. I assume that joint broke when the refrigerator moved (used the fridge last time with no issues). Is this something I can DIY or do I need to take to a professional repair shop?
Attached Thumbnails
20220731_115620.jpg  
KowalskyKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskyKs View Post
When we arrived to our location last week I found that the refrigerator had partially come out of the cabinet. Someone had apparently replaced screws for some reason with ones that weren't adequate. Lit the refrigerator and shortly began to smell an odor, neighboring camper said he believed the odor to be the dirt and dust on the fins being heated. I wasn't comfortable with that assessment. There was a fire department presence at the event we attended so I asked them to bring a sniffer to check it out. Definitely a propane leak. The leak appears to be coming from the joint pointed at by the screwdriver tip. For some reason my picture is rotated. The joint is at the right hand side with the fins running horizontally. I assume that joint broke when the refrigerator moved (used the fridge last time with no issues). Is this something I can DIY or do I need to take to a professional repair shop?
It’s hard to tell but it appears to me this is located at the top of your fridge. If that’s the case I’d suggest it’s a coolant line and not a propane line. You didn’t say what kind of fridge this is, so I’ll assume it’s an AC/LP type. If so, does it work on AC? It’s also possible the line you point to is not cracked and there is LP coming from the top of the flue.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Yes, it is an AC/LP Norcold fridge and you're correct that it is at the top right of the fridge. I had it on AC for several days prior to our trip to get it cooled down and it worked fine then. I have not tried it on AC since returning, I will. The sniffer triggered right at the spot I'm pointing to.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Not sure what it sniffed, but there's no propane plumbed up there. It stops at the propane valve at the bottom near the burner stack. That would be a copper line going to the valve. The vapor and liquid in the plumbing you show is ammonia gas, hydrogen gas, water, and a rust inhibitor.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #5

So, would jb weld at that joint solve the problem? Is it a high heat area?
Old 07-31-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
So, would jb weld at that joint solve the problem? Is it a high heat area?
No. If that is a refrigerant line leaking it's higher pressure than propane. A lot higher.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
No. If that is a refrigerant line leaking it's higher pressure than propane. A lot higher.
Ok. I didn't think the odor smelled quite like propane. Any suggestions on how to fix it or should I leave it to the professionals?
Old 07-31-2022, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok. I didn't think the odor smelled quite like propane. Any suggestions on how to fix it or should I leave it to the professionals?
Leave it for the pros, or shop for a fridge. Even if you got the leak fixed, the fridge would have to be recharged anyway.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #9

So, if the fridge has lost the coolant I would be able to check that by plugging in to AC. I would expect it to not work well that way as well, correct?
Old 07-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Team

With a refrigerant loss, it won't work at all. May do more damage if you try.

Some years ago, I had the fridge in my MH disgorge the refrigerant. It smelled like ammonia. I bought a new complete cooling unit and changed it myself. I don't know what they cost these days, but it was less expensive than a whole new refrigerator at the time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
So, if the fridge has lost the coolant I would be able to check that by plugging in to AC. I would expect it to not work well that way as well, correct?
If you can smell ammonia, or see a yellow discolored stain around a suspected leak, you are pretty much done.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #12

Soapy water in a spray bottle is used to look for gas leaks. Spray all of your gas line fittings and look for bubbles growing. If you do not find any leaks check your flame at the burner, there should be a hole that allows you to see it. Should be a nice even blue flame with maybe just a touch of yellow at the tip. Possibly your burner has shifted from the movement of the fridge causing a poor flame / incomplete combustion / gas smell.

Usually a refrigerant leak will leave yellow stain at the leak. Ammonia smell may be present also depending on the "freshness" of the leak. The yellow from a leak is sodium chromate, the chemical used to line the internal pipes to protect them from the corrosiveness of the ammonia. Generally an adsorption cooling unit has to be rebuilt or replaced as they cannot be easily recharged.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
With a refrigerant loss, it won't work at all. May do more damage if you try.

Some years ago, I had the fridge in my MH disgorge the refrigerant. It smelled like ammonia. I bought a new complete cooling unit and changed it myself. I don't know what they cost these days, but it was less expensive than a whole new refrigerator at the time.
Ammonia has a very strong smell. I agree this is the most likely cause. A new or rebuilt, cooling unit is a good way to go.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:28 PM   #14

Yes, as suggested probably refrigerant leak. The cooling system is replaceable. It can be a DIY project if you are mech inclined. A YouTube search will yield several “how to” vids. I expect the refrig sniffer reacted to one of the components in the absorption refrigerant. Running on AC will verify if it’s propane related or not. If neither mode works I’d expect the refrigerant has leaked out. Haven’t read of anyone having one of these recharged. Assuming failure on AC/LP, the cooling unit is probably the culprit. It’s replaceable, as I noted, or you can get a new fridge. Replacing the cooling unit DIY is probably the cheaper route. Replacing the fridge can be a DIY but you’d need to figure out how to get the old one out and new one in (door/window). Let the group know what you find and how you proceed, your findings and path forward will help us all learn more about our systems. I’ve been following this forum for 10-ish years and don’t recall a prob quite like this.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote