Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Replacing Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW Power Center

Hey guys. I am taking on the challenge of replacing my WFCO WF-8735 power center/converter. My current one went bad in a series of recent thunder storms. I won't be at the camper until this weekend so I was trying to plan ahead of time. The power center is under the stove. I recently tried to remove the power center when I was diagnosing it and the wires are too short to pull the center out all the way (I did not think about looking for an access to the back of the power center at that time). I can't access the back of the power center for rewiring and feeding out the shore power and house wire. Does anyone have experience with this situation and know of an access point to get to the back of the power center? Like under the sink? Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: The converter itself cannot be replaced. The company does not sell them. I contacted them and they said it's built in and you have to replace the entire power center. And yes I know to completely disconnect the camper from all power supply.
emonsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Try going into the cabinet under the sink and seeing if the side panel can be removed.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

There should be plenty of wire behind it to get it out. I have a 2017 287 bhsw and have removed it more than once. You will need to disconnect the 120v wires once you take the front cover off. Then there’s a pigtail on the back for the 12v wiring. There’s no other access to that area. Just a suggestion while you have it out, fill all the holes that would allow mice in that are behind the panel.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
There should be plenty of wire behind it to get it out. I have a 2017 287 bhsw and have removed it more than once. You will need to disconnect the 120v wires once you take the front cover off. Then there’s a pigtail on the back for the 12v wiring. There’s no other access to that area. Just a suggestion while you have it out, fill all the holes that would allow mice in that are behind the panel.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. I'm assuming there is enough of the 120v wire to feed it back into the new converter and get a hold of them from inside the converter?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Yes it will be enough to reconnect once it is replaced. Are you replacing with an identical unit? I tried to change to a different brand but it was short one fuse in the panel.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Yes it will be enough to reconnect once it is replaced. Are you replacing with an identical unit? I tried to change to a different brand but it was short one fuse in the panel.
It's funny you say that because I was going to replace it with a Progressive Dynamics PD4135 as it's the only compatible replacement from them. At the last minute I noticed it was short one fuse so yes I ordered the exact OEM replacement. Thanks for your help!