Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #11

First picture was the ceiling and the post with 2 pics the roof

Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #12

Very unhelpful call from Jayco customer service... User issue for not maintaining the a/c gasket. Call a dealer and get a price on a new roof. Have a nice day!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #13

Great response. Well, looks as if your almost 1/2 way there might aswell keep going. Have you decided how or what your going to use to replace the panels after drying out?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Got a decent price at 850 for a new roof but thats plus 500 shipping and 6-8 wk delivery. So i think i will try to repair. Now have most of the sealing goop off all joints and roof openings. What a job. Wish i hadnt had the seams resealed last fall.

I am pretty sure i am going to take the roof off and try to repair on the ground where it is easier to access. I can now push up on the roof and lift it off the wall in the middle area of the trailer. I will pull off all the rotten plywood which is most of the upper and maybe half the lower. If the styrofoam is too badly damaged i will have to find some the same thickness to replace as it needs to be glued to both layers of plywood. Stay tuned!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #15

This is quite a project. If you live in the U.S.A. Order a new roof! I have the roof off and in my garage for repair. Stripping the old wood off and trying to record where the wiring runs and the metal plate that are under the plywood for extra support for kitchen cupboards, etc is a job in itself. Suspect i have over 500$ in material between Luane, ceiling panels, styrofoam, glue, etc. had to pull panelling off bathroom walls as they did have screws up into the roof. Fridge
Out to get at screws in that area as well. Hope to get it together and back on the trailer this weekend.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #16

The luan/foam/luan construction is very strong, stiff, and light... until it gets wet. Looks like you're doing a good job to fix quite a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellzee View Post
Got a decent price at 850 for a new roof but thats plus 500 shipping and 6-8 wk delivery.
Here's some questions, just in case I ever need to repair roof water damage: Was this for the complete roof panel? Sized for your trailer? With or without cutouts for the vents, ac, etc? What company would sell the panel - Jayco? I wonder if the new panel might be worth driving to pick it up with a borrowed truck.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #17

That was from jayco factory direct. It was a full roof to fit my trailer. Had to give serial #. It even had the wiring run in it i think. I would still have had to buy and install new epdm roof membrane.

I would recommend going to pick up if you can trailer something approx 8'x 14'.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #18

Update on this project. I havent had the time to work on it so good to get back at it. Attached should be a pic of the 2nd ceiling panel being held down by some convenient weights i had in the garage while the glue dries. It was the hardest one with the most wiring and cutouts to work with. One panel a night mon and tues and i will be ready to drop the roof back on. Only issue im having is glue under the wiring conduit when i put the luane on is holding them up higher than the styrofoam in a few places. Using pl300 for the wood to styrofoam and pl premium on the aluminum frame and wiring conduits. Pile of work!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellzee View Post
Attached should be a pic of the 2nd ceiling panel being held down by some convenient weights i had in the garage while the glue dries.
LOLZ....interesting combination of weights!....nice work...
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #20

The roof and ceiling were both so rotten that i couldnt see how i could pull just the top layer off. Half the syrofoam and in places even the ceiling was pulling off with the roof panels. It seemed easier to pull it off and do a rebuild than mess with it up on the trailer.