Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Slide Problem Prevention

I have been researching slide problems and fixes.
Also things to do to help not have a problem.
I keep my slide clean and waxed. I keep the seals clean and treated with 303 aerospace protectant.
I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE on rails and gears.
I have now been looking at the slide rollers and the bottom of the slide.
Has anyone had any luck finding Teflon sheets or some other material (I was looking at some sheet metal) to put on the bottom of the slides to help reduce friction?

Seems like someone is always having a slide problem.

Give us your preventive maintenance procedure and mods for helping with the slides.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

If you have the Schwintek slide system, check the wheel wells for the wiring to the motors.

My Talon has the lower slide motor wiring exposed in the wheel well on and tape holding the wiring up came loose. The wiring harness ended up rubbing on the wheel and is real close to being destroyed. One ofthe small wires at the plug had the insuulation rubbed off and the plug itself was getting warn away. If I didn’t catch it now there was a good chance the slide motor wouldn’t have worked on our next outing.

My first attempt at a fix involved taping up the wiring and securing it out of the way of the tire. When I went to move the slide out, the motor did not run and the slide ended up binding. I ended up taping the wires flat and repositioned the plug and it seems to work fine now.

Another ‘what were they thinking’ issue.
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

So here is what I did for the slide.
I found a local fab shop and had 8 10"x27" 18ga stainless steel sheets cut. $200
[IMG][/IMG]

Just using what I can get my hands on. You do not have to go up but just a little at each roller
[IMG][/IMG]

Did not turn out to bad. I used pan head because that's all I could find at the time in S.S. They are working just fine. I can change out later if I don't like them.

Can't say I can tell any difference. Got to be better than riding on wood.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #4

Hi 2naEagle,

Do you have a Slim Rack in the wall system? On the Slim Rack there is hardly any clearance for even 18 gauge metal. the rack has very little room to move up and down, unless I am missing something.

Thanks to all that have replied !
Michigan Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #5

Yes it is the slim rack. 18ga is pretty thin. It has been working good.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

Thank You !
I don't know how my post moved from the Fifth Wheel forum to the maintenance forum bur probably my mistake. I will look into some 18ga. strips.
Michigan Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

I have the schwintec and my wiring comes from FW floor and up each side column to the motors. All the wiring and hose under the floor and on that folding arm go to lights, fridge stove, fireplace etc. They all go the slide accessories not the schwintec motors. That is not possible the motors are on the column sides at top and not on the slide. Only thing on slides is the side tracks.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote