Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #1

Slideout Topper Blocking Roof Tape Repair

The factory tape, running the front to rear length, on our slide out roof is peeling off in a significant way. I want to replace it with Eternabond. How can I remove or release the slide out topper to access this area?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Team

We don't have a slide on our current TT, but I'd run the slide in, and with a helper, detach it from the slide. Then you may be able to flip it onto the roof to get it out of the way. Maybe someone with some experience on this will chime in for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Not familiar with 'topper' installations to offer any advice here, but have seen a number of DYI's online.

I decided to apply Eternabond to my 2018 slide roof a couple weeks ago...., since the OEM black tape was only two months old I applied the wider Eternabond sealer tape over it. The OEM black tape is no where near the quality (thickness, adhesive properties, etc.) of the Eternabond.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

I replaced both the Carefree slide toppers on our Eagle and it was surprisingly easy. Get on YouTube and type in "slide topper removal" and you'll find the instructions. Took me and my wife about 2 hours to remove/replace both our toppers. I would link you up with one but not sure if you have A/E or Carefree.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Consider applying a bead of caulk and smoothing it with your finger to make a smooth "ramp" from the surface of the slideout roof up to the surface of the Eternabond. It is only a difference of, at most, 1/16 of an inch. But if the slideout seals should catch onto the edge of the Eternabond and pull it up slightly a real mess might develop. The ramp will help prevent that from happening.

I'd use Proflex for the caulk (it cures with an almost slick surface); I understand that it is not approved for EPDM; however, I used it on mine for a similar purpose and have had no issues.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I replaced both the Carefree slide toppers on our Eagle and it was surprisingly easy. Get on YouTube and type in "slide topper removal" and you'll find the instructions. Took me and my wife about 2 hours to remove/replace both our toppers. I would link you up with one but not sure if you have A/E or Carefree.
Yes, it is a CareFree topper. I have watched the removal videos. I was hoping that there may be a way to just loosen it or get some slack in the vinyl so I can get up in there to remove the old tape and apply the new Eternabond tape. However, I am beginning to think that I need to actually remove the vinyl as though I were replacing it. Maybe I should put a new vinyl top on while I have it off, if I have to go to that extreme to get access to the tape.

A word to those with a new trailer or a topper-less slide out: If you are going to put a topper on your slide, remove the cheap black plastic tape and replace it with Eternabond before you put on the topper. Or if the tape is black tape is new and still adhering, you can do like Rustic Eagle and Eternabond over it.

The "caulk ramp" idea is good; I was already planning to do exactly that with GeoCel clear. Thank you for your help, guys!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote