Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Warped Dinette After 1 year

I stored my 2014 184BH inside for the winter, when I opened up I noticed the first time I setup the dinette table that it was warped. I do not believe it was when I got it last year, but I cannot say for sure.

I attached a pic. It is clearly from the weight of the legs when it is stored, and next time I would support it better or store it upside down.

Do you think it is worth going after Jayco for? Do you think they will replace it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jayco.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	12867
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #2

Absolutely share it with Jayco.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

If it has no evidence of moisture then they should replace it under warranty worth a try

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

I had a similar problem on a 2001 Coleman Santa Fe. I bought a sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, used the old table as a template and cut out a new table. I also was able to get very close on a matching laminate from Lowes home improvement. I used the old hardware from my bad table on the new one. It ended up being an awesome table, much sturdier than the original. I ended up using the rest of that sheet of plywood to make copies of the counter top by the sink/stove and by the couch end table, then I used the rest of the laminate on those new pieces and the entire campers laminate was matching again plus the counters were much nicer after this. You could actually change your decor this way pretty easy if you wanted to. Pick an entirely new laminate color and design.

Good luck.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

You do have a two year warranty. You might try laying it on a level floor with some weight and see if it returns to normal. My brother in law did that and his table is still good several years later.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Your dinette table was constructed with the lowest grade particle board available at the time. Atmospheric moisture and gravity are all it needs to warp. Think about how it's made. There is a moisture proof laminate on the top. There is exposed particle board on the bottom. The exposed particle board absorbs moisture from the air and expands (swells) but the top does not. The bottom surface grows in length and the top doesn't hence the bowl shape of your table.

As others have said and I have done, make a new table out of some 3/4" oak veneer PLYWOOD, not MDF core. Put some 3/4 x 1" or 1.5" solid oak edge banding around it. Next apply 3 coats of Minwax Polyureathane or equivalent to BOTH SIDES. This will eliminate bowing due to humidity and you'll end up with a much nicer, sturdier table to boot.