Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #1

Water heater replacement.

Last night my wife heard a noise and I traced it down to a waterfall from my water heater. I replaced the tank about 2 years ago on this 2017 Jay flight and here I am again. Not sure what happened yet but it looks like the tank ruptured. The last time it developed a pin hole that leaked water in the cabinet. There was a lot of calcium buildup at the drain plug this time.

I don't want to replace the tank again. Have any of you had this issue and what did you replace it with? I'm thinking about a tankless this time. Anyone have any input on a Fogatti heater? I've got to get this done quickly as we don't like cold showers.

Another related issue is with the "wood' surrounding the wet area. Since it is just particle board of course it is damaged. Any ideas to repair besides ordering more of this from Jayco?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 06:39 AM   #2

One more question. Would insurance pay for this kind of damage to the wood and would it be worth turning in a claim? I'm also not sure if the floor itself is damaged.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 10-15-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
Site Team

I literally just went through this 2 weeks ago. It is highly unlikely that there would be any significant damage to the wood, other than the particle board that you had mentioned, since you caught the leak immediately. I wouldn't think that the insurance company would be involved in that type of claim. But, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. I would document with pictures in either case

I ended up repairing my leak. But, I also considered a tankless system if I would have needed to go that route. If you have an Atwood currently, Suburban probably makes a direct replacement for you if you decide to go back with another traditional water heater.

On a side note, when I was doing my repairs, I found that the Quest 1/2 NPT fittings that came on these tanks are nearly impossible to find. Be very careful removing yours. You may very well have to reuse them.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #4

I really don't want to go back with a gas/electric like I currently have mainly due to cost. I'm seeing prices in excess of $1000. If I have to go that route, I'll just replace the tank again as I don't plan to keep this unit much longer. It's not a bad job to replace but a tank costs within a couple hundred dollars of a tankless unit that fits the same hole.

The wood is "puffing" up where it meets the floor. It only takes a few minutes of wet for this to happen. It should be illegal to use this "wood" anywhere near a water source. It makes me not want to buy another rv ever.

As for the fittings, mine are normal 1/2" npt. I have capped them with std PVC plugs for now.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 10-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Team

I understand completely about the particle board. I ended up with a little bit of damage under my outside kitchen from the water. I would not be overly concerned with the floor or anything structural though. Usually, it takes more of a prolonged leak event before anything serious occurs. I'd just open it up as best you can, get a dehumidifier in there, and let it dry out.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

If you boondock a lot, going to a tankless may not be a good choice. It wastes a lot of water and will give you a big cold burst every time you start and stop the water flow. If you have full hookups a tankless may work just fine.

I ripped out my tankless and put in a tank model and will never go back. I get hotter water for dishes and showers without the massive water waste of having to have a high flow of water to get the tankless to turn on.

I don't know the size of your tank model but I installed a 6 gallon gas/elect model for under $500. It went in perfectly where my tankless unit was.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
If you boondock a lot, going to a tankless may not be a good choice. It wastes a lot of water and will give you a big cold burst every time you start and stop the water flow. If you have full hookups a tankless may work just fine.

I ripped out my tankless and put in a tank model and will never go back. I get hotter water for dishes and showers without the massive water waste of having to have a high flow of water to get the tankless to turn on.

I don't know the size of your tank model but I installed a 6 gallon gas/elect model for under $500. It went in perfectly where my tankless unit was.
I just looked at the Amazon listing for this unit and it says it's only 12v spark ignition. I don't see anything about electric operation. The ac/dc models start at $700+.

I don't boondock at all. It's all full hookup.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 10-15-2022, 05:25 PM   #8

There are several under $500 that are gas and 120 volt. This is one sample.

https://smile.amazon.com/Suburban-Mf...4-dc28e6d374b3
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
There are several under $500 that are gas and 120 volt. This is one sample.

https://smile.amazon.com/Suburban-Mf...4-dc28e6d374b3
I just went ahead and ordered a new replacement tank for mine for about $400. It's not too hard to replace. I've done it before. The whole thing was over $1100.

Jayflight 34RSBS