Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #1

2014 Greyhawk 31FS Radio Not Working No Power

Hi, I am experienced in RVs and RVing, but this is a new RV for us. On the day the dealer delivered the RV to us the radio worked fine. The delivery fellows left and as I was sitting in my driveway checking the unit out. When I activated the newly-installed hydraulic jacks, the radio quit working. I checked the fuse (#39 under dash) and all was well. Thinking that the brand new jacks might be involved I removed the lower panel under the steering wheel where the jack controls were installed and looked for a loose wire or something knocked loose. All was fine. I got out my VOM, traced the radio's two power lines and checked both of them. The wiring diagram says there is one for 'on off' and a second to power the memory, etc. One of these wires (a larger gauge yellow with a red stripe) has no power. So I jumper it from the cigarette lighter power socket and the radio starts up. Good News? Yes, UNTIL I realize that this wire goes down the wall past the driver's seat, and back into the house. The house power is on. I checked the house fuses under the foot of the bed, and they are all good. I do not know where else to check. None of the house wiring diagrams came with the coach, and I have not been able to find them anywhere.
Does anyone have a 2014 Greywalk 31FS diagram, or can someone tell me to the destination of this yellow red wire? Thanks.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

The chassis radio and others installed are typically wired to the coach batteries to prevent a dead starter battery.
The wire in question may terminate directly at the coach batteries or be reliant upon the coach 12 volt kill switch and wired to a relay.

Please let us know what you find or do not.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #3

When I get a chance I will check my owners manual for the radio fuse location. It might be under the hood. When bought my MH the 12volt accessory in the dashboard was not working. Turned out it was one of those goofy looking factory Ford fuses under the hood that was blown. Now I keep a few on hand since they can be tough to find in a pinch.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
When I get a chance I will check my owners manual for the radio fuse location. It might be under the hood. When bought my MH the 12volt accessory in the dashboard was not working. Turned out it was one of those goofy looking factory Ford fuses under the hood that was blown. Now I keep a few on hand since they can be tough to find in a pinch.
good suggestion but the house fuses are all intact, the under dash fuses are all intact, and the under hood fuses are all intact.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #5

There may be an inline fuse along the wire in question and it may be closer to where it terminates, not at the radio end.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

On my 2015 31fs the radio is also shut down with the master house power in the stairwell.
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

THANKS Upstate. I have the house power on via the stairway switch but that yellow&red wire still does not have power.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Do you have the manual that shows the pin outs for the radio? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	39152
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Do you have the manual that shows the pin outs for the radio? Attachment 39152
Yes I do
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Hi, I am experienced in RVs and RVing, but this is a new RV for us. On the day the dealer delivered the RV to us the radio worked fine. The delivery fellows left and as I was sitting in my driveway checking the unit out. When I activated the newly-installed hydraulic jacks, the radio quit working. I checked the fuse (#39 under dash) and all was well. Thinking that the brand new jacks might be involved I removed the lower panel under the steering wheel where the jack controls were installed and looked for a loose wire or something knocked loose. All was fine. I got out my VOM, traced the radio's two power lines and checked both of them. The wiring diagram says there is one for 'on off' and a second to power the memory, etc. One of these wires (a larger gauge yellow with a red stripe) has no power. So I jumper it from the cigarette lighter power socket and the radio starts up. Good News? Yes, UNTIL I realize that this wire goes down the wall past the driver's seat, and back into the house. The house power is on. I checked the house fuses under the foot of the bed, and they are all good. I do not know where else to check. None of the house wiring diagrams came with the coach, and I have not been able to find them anywhere.
Does anyone have a 2014 Greywalk 31FS diagram, or can someone tell me to the destination of this yellow red wire? Thanks.
On my 2015 Greyhawk 31Ds the yellow wire with the red stripe is connected directly to the main power battery disconnect solenoid. On the solenoid there are two fuses. A 5 amp for the solenoid latching power and a 7.5 amp fuse for the dash radio, leveller control panel and keyless entry power. Check to see if the 7.5 amp fuse is blown. The newly installed leveller control panel power may be blowing that fuse. Hope this helps.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #11

Thank you very much! Now all I need to do is find the solenoid!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #12

On my rig it is located right behind the battery, in the battery box.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFalcon View Post
On my 2015 Greyhawk 31Ds the yellow wire with the red stripe is connected directly to the main power battery disconnect solenoid. On the solenoid there are two fuses. A 5 amp for the solenoid latching power and a 7.5 amp fuse for the dash radio, leveller control panel and keyless entry power. Check to see if the 7.5 amp fuse is blown. The newly installed leveller control panel power may be blowing that fuse. Hope this helps.
I appreciate the insight MFalcon. One thing that puzzles me is that the levelers work fine, yet the radio has no power. If they are on the same fuse and power line, they should both either work or not work, together. It's a mystery. Maybe the crackerjack jack installers did not use the yellow red line to power the jack panel. .
Old 05-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #14

Well that solved it, the 7.5 amp fuse mounted next to the solenoid was blown. I replaced it and the radio works fine.

I still haven't looked for the source of power for the jacks, but that is tomorrows task.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #15

Hi everyone - I just read this post and sounds similar to my issue (also posted here). I had error lights on my leveler control panel. While trying to reset, I lost power at the leveler panel and now the radio won't work either. Sounds like it may be this same 7.5 amp fuse?
jeffschropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #16

The fuse is by the house battery.. Yes I know, it's crazy!
tucsonterry is offline   Reply With Quote