Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #1

2016 29MV rear camera

The rear camera on my 29MV really sucks. It only show about 15 feet behind the motorhome and is apparently not adjustable. Has anyone replaced the camera and used the original wiring to the jensen head unit? What cameras will work with the Jensen?
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
The rear camera on my 29MV really sucks. It only show about 15 feet behind the motorhome and is apparently not adjustable. Has anyone replaced the camera and used the original wiring to the jensen head unit? What cameras will work with the Jensen?

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have a 2017 Greyhawk 29W and have been contemplating making a wedge to place under the existing camera to angle it away from the coach more and possibly make the distance seen on the screen better suited to what I need. Hopefully someone else can come up with a better fix, and an answer to your original question. I'm sure that others feel the same way and would also like to hear a viable solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Not sure if the same as 2015s, but we rotated the camera mount 180 degrees then reattached the camera so that it pointed out a bit further than 15' as you first noted.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

I poked around on RV Trader and it looks like the 29MVs used a camera that's different from the one on our 2016 31FK.

No surprise - Jayco probably just sources whatever is instock and convenient. But, that also likely means the connections are pretty standard.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that something like this (which is what is on our 31FK) would connect right up:

If so, a $11 eBay special would allow you to make sure it's replaceable:

eBay Camera

I get it, you'd like to just have the one that's there work properly.
But if you decide you cannot make it work and need to swap it out, I'm thinking it might not be a big investment.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Thanks to all who replied. I am going to try pconroy's suggestion.
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
Thanks to all who replied. I am going to try pconroy's suggestion.

Start by seeing if you can pull the old one off and if the leads look the same. If they match, then I'll bet $20 that any eBay camera will work!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:48 AM   #7

I would be interested in a solution to this also. The current camera shows the front few feet of our tow car. Useless.
Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Also check out cameras for security systems . A weather proof Dome camera would cover any mounting holes left from the old camera . The connectors on most camera are industry standard at this time . You will want a wide angle fixed lens about 4MM , a veri-focal lens would be OK but will be hard to focus with out a test monitor . My 2016 MV29 camera was adjustable but other said that theirs was not . I am thinking of installing dome camera on the rear corner to replace the useless cameras in the mirrors . I owned a security company for 34 years.
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #9

Rear Camera on Melbourne 24M

Our rear camera can not be adjusted and is integrated into running lights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5099.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppard View Post
Our rear camera can not be adjusted and is integrated into running lights.

I put a full length wooden wedge under the light/camera and it works great . Try it before you buy another camera and go through all of the added problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Thank you for the suggestion gprapim. We might try rubber gasket material to built it up at the bottom. Seems like the simplest solution.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I poked around on RV Trader and it looks like the 29MVs used a camera that's different from the one on our 2016 31FK.

No surprise - Jayco probably just sources whatever is instock and convenient. But, that also likely means the connections are pretty standard.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that something like this (which is what is on our 31FK) would connect right up:

If so, a $11 eBay special would allow you to make sure it's replaceable:

eBay Camera

I get it, you'd like to just have the one that's there work properly.
But if you decide you cannot make it work and need to swap it out, I'm thinking it might not be a big investment.

Have both, will not connect to one another. Made wedge for existing unit. It works well, end of story and my quest for another lengthy solution to the problem !!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion gprapim. We might try rubber gasket material to built it up at the bottom. Seems like the simplest solution.

I just made a wooden wedge, heavily painted it, slotted and drilled it, then screwed it right back on in the original holes with a little longer screw. After mounting it, I sealed it completely with silicone. I made it the same size as the base of the light, tapering it from almost nothing at the top to 1/2" at the bottom. Works as I expected it too !! Try it, good luck and enjoy.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

Update: problem solved

We did as suggested and took the two screws out, adjusted the light/camera assembly slightly, filled the gap with sealant (no need for a wedge) and reinstalled screws. Perfect! Happy camper/driver 😎
Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
We did as suggested and took the two screws out, adjusted the light/camera assembly slightly, filled the gap with sealant (no need for a wedge) and reinstalled screws. Perfect! Happy camper/driver [emoji41]

Sounds good. One can't angle it too much because the wide angle lens in the camera will not allow seeing too far behind the coach ... everything becomes so small, it is impossible to get any real distance behind. Glad it helped !!