Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #21

2nd roof top a/c unit installed finished product photos

I have included photos of the tool used to cut into the ceiling in the bdrm tv cabinet as well as to remove most of the sealant when removing the roof vent.

I have also included a picture of the power cord I made up to bring power from the RV park pedestal to the motor home. I did make the cord the same length as the motor home power cord.

You will see a few photos up underneath the motor home showing the fuse holder and the electric box used. It is an interior electrical box I know. I do feel secure where it is placed regarding weather getting to it.

more photos on next post
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1675.jpg   IMG_1676.jpg   IMG_1678.jpg   IMG_1679.jpg   IMG_1680.jpg  

IMG_1681.jpg   IMG_1682.jpg   IMG_1683.jpg   IMG_1684.jpg   IMG_1685.jpg  

tomknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #22

2nd roof top a/c unit installed finished product photos

additional photos attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1686.jpg   IMG_1687.jpg   IMG_1688.jpg   IMG_1689.jpg   IMG_1690.jpg  

IMG_1691.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #23

Awesome! Thanks for the pics.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #24

Tomknepper, You do realize that the male plug on the end of the power cord in your rv compartment is not legal. As when it is plugged into a power source it is live at the exposed pins. Not per Electrical code. Should be hardwired to inside of junction box.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #25

No, I didn't. Obvious to me the sequence of bringing power to it. I.E. which end plugs in first. But not to all. Thanks for pointing it out

Didn't have the room to have the power cord stored in the same compartment.

Sounds like I should at least install a male receptacle and replace one of my power cord ends with a female end.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #26

I finally installed the 2nd AC in our Redhawk 29xk. I went with the Coleman Mach 3 PS since the amp draw was a lot less. Removing the old vent sealant was really easy when heating it with a heat gun first. When running the factory 15k AC plus the 13,500 PS model it was drawing around 21 amps which means I should be able to run both off the gen set if I don't run much else. It's wired with a second plug to run to the pedestal or to the plug in the cargo area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #27

2nd AC unit

Thanks for letting me know.

We leave in about a month for a 5 month trip to include the deep summer months.

Fingers crossed with the 2nd AC unit installed and some additional exterior sun shades to help keep the sun off of the windows we will be comfortable during those months.

I will keep you posted.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomknepper View Post
Thanks for letting me know.

We leave in about a month for a 5 month trip to include the deep summer months.

Fingers crossed with the 2nd AC unit installed and some additional exterior sun shades to help keep the sun off of the windows we will be comfortable during those months.

I will keep you posted.

You should be fine. We previously had a 36' TT with 3 slides. It had the two AC's and in full sun at 105 outside we could maintain low 70 degree interior temps easily.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #29

2nd A/c unit 2016 Greyhawk

Just wanted to let you know, we've been on the road for 6 weeks now. We've used the 2nd A/C unit several times and it works great. Very happy.

Just finished a month in Indianapolis to see the 500. Great time.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomknepper View Post
Just wanted to let you know, we've been on the road for 6 weeks now. We've used the 2nd A/C unit several times and it works great. Very happy.

Just finished a month in Indianapolis to see the 500. Great time.

That's great. We had the chance to run ours this weekend as well. Glad we had the second unit to keep the temps under control.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #31

Tom, I have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV and I am considering a second ac. I read somewhere that when switching out the Fantastic fan for an ac, that the framing isn’t substantial enough for the weight of the ac. Did you finish the install? Any problems with the weight of the ac? How did you run the wiring?
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Mikehbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehbar View Post
Did you finish the install? Any problems with the weight of the ac? How did you run the wiring?
Did you notice his last post in this thread was 3 years ago (which was his last post in this forum)?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehbar View Post
Tom, I have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV and I am considering a second ac. I read somewhere that when switching out the Fantastic fan for an ac, that the framing isn’t substantial enough for the weight of the ac. Did you finish the install? Any problems with the weight of the ac? How did you run the wiring?

I'm in a 2016 31FK and have also thought seriously about following his lead. Supposedly Jayco let someone else know that the framing wasn't beefy enough.

He fished the wires thru and eventually out where they're picked up by an additional extension cord.

I'd need it to run while we're driving. In the 31FK, there's an outlet behind the bedroom TV that looks like it would be my closest target. Can't figure out how to make it NOT look like crap yet.

And so far, our use of the portable AC units is tiding us over.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #34

2nd A/C in my 2016 Greyhawk

Hi,
Yes I did complete it and have been using it for several years now. I've had no problems with the weight of the unit on the roof. We've been across the country several times since then so plenty of miles with no problems.

I did run a dedicated line from the unit inside the roofing over to the bedroom tv cabinet then down through the cabinet, through the flooring. Snaked it over the tanks on the bottom of the motor home securing it with wire ties and over to the power cord cabinet. I did put a 20 amp in line fuse prior to the cabinet. I put a receptacle in the cabinet and use a separate 30 amp extension power cord to power the unit.

We use it a lot and it has been working perfectly so far. Hate saying things like that. Don't want to jinx it.

We're getting ready to go back to Indianapolis (from San Diego) in August for the Indy 500 for the 4th year in a row now and expect to use it extensively again.

Hope this helps. Glad to answer any other questions you might have
Old 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #35

Hi Tom, this is after the fact, but in my 2017 Jayco Greyhawk electrical schematics, it shows a red wire already in place for the rear AC that terminates a short distance before the vent. It's there in the schematics, but I'm not sure it's there in actual practice. Might be worth a look for others thinking about this.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:50 AM   #36

Hello, Can I get a copy of those electrical schematics for our 2017 jayco greyhawk? I can give home email via PM if needed. thanks Ted
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #37

The schematics I have are for a 31FS. It may be proprietary, so I don't want to be the one to release it in the wild. But if you call Jayco, and be very nice about it, they may help you out. I don't see why Jayco doesn't realize that this kind of information would endear them to their customers, and should be included with the rig. Imagine opening an owners manual and seeing schematics. That would be a wow moment.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #38

Thanks I will ask for electrical schematic from Jayco
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #39

For those who have installed a second ac with a dedicated electrical line, is it necessary to add a breaker for that line?
Mikehbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #40

2nd A/C dedicated line

Since I plug mine into the RV Park pedestal for power and that power is protected with a circuit breaker, it may not be necessary.

However the entire electrical system in the motor home is secondary protected by their own individual circuit breakers.

It's easy to do and makes me sleep better.

I also use a 20 amp surge suppressor for that circuit.