Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

2016 Melbourne windshield leak?

Posed as a question because I'm not sure where the water came from. As we started a 12-day road trip, we were only a couple miles from home when the wife was surprised by water dripping out of the upper corner of the windshield near the top of the door column / where the visor shelf connects.

A females / turns later, a few more drips but nothing of ant great amount. Beyond the sudden appearance of water, we were concerned because the water smelled "stale".

We had the rain the night before we left, but nothing out of the ordinary. When I made our first gas stop I poked around and found that I could easily push the rubber gasket around the windshield down and see a sizable gap (1/4" or more) that appears to create a way for water to infiltrate.

Anyone have this issue and / or know if this is a known problem or, if this is not a problem, where the water may have come in at?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

I haven't had that issue but I am going to check mine. Is it what holds the windshield in or around the Jayco cab over part. The caulking on mine through out is not very professional but no leaks so far.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

It's so strange that you had this issue. Exactly what you have described happened to us, but only once in the year we've owned this unit - same place, same circumstance. It dripped down for about 10 minutes after we departed, then stopped. We looked but couldn't figure out a point of entry. We haven't had this happen since, so we haven't pursued it. Funny thing is that we were just in Oregon a couple of weeks ago, it rained buckets, but no leaking from the windshield at all!

We did, however, have road spray from the bottom of the back slide come through, and we had some water on the floor of the bedroom. We took it to Camping World, and they gave us an additional gasket strip to put on the bottom of the slide. It was raining so hard and we were going through so many giant puddles, that we weren't surprised about the leak. We were towing our Jeep, and water was splashing off of it, too. Hopefully, this gasket will do the trick.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I haven't had that issue but I am going to check mine. Is it what holds the windshield in or around the Jayco cab over part. The caulking on mine through out is not very professional but no leaks so far.

PF...not quite sure where it came in at, but the gap I mentioned was the windshield gasket. When I was poking around, I could push the gasket down right in the corner and swear I could see to the inner gasket!

The caulking around the front of the cab-over part on mine had been covered over with roof - type sealant ( I suspect because the original caulking was poorly done as you mentioned yours is). I'm pretty sure it's not leaking due to that sealant being well applied.

More to follow as I just washed the rig last night so I need to check for water infiltration this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
It's so strange that you had this issue. Exactly what you have described happened to us, but only once in the year we've owned this unit - same place, same circumstance. It dripped down for about 10 minutes after we departed, then stopped. We looked but couldn't figure out a point of entry. We haven't had this happen since, so we haven't pursued it. Funny thing is that we were just in Oregon a couple of weeks ago, it rained buckets, but no leaking from the windshield at all!

We did, however, have road spray from the bottom of the back slide come through, and we had some water on the floor of the bedroom. We took it to Camping World, and they gave us an additional gasket strip to put on the bottom of the slide. It was raining so hard and we were going through so many giant puddles, that we weren't surprised about the leak. We were towing our Jeep, and water was splashing off of it, too. Hopefully, this gasket will do the trick.

Oh wow...crazy you had the same thing. We drove in some fairly heavy rain the next day and not a drop came thru! Weird!!!

Not good news about the rear slide leaking...I'll have to keep an eye for that.

2 other things I noticed last night while giving the ol girl her bath...someone ran a rather large screw thru the fiberglass camper wall (like in the dinette area behind the drivers seat) out thru the wall and into the back of the drivers cab. Left a good hole in the fiberglass just waiting to leak.
The other was apparently a screw under the fiberglass cap just in front of the rubber roof (adjacent the roof radio antenna) is causing the fiberglass to splinter. I've got a 3" diameter spider web just waiting to crack open and leak!

Oh the joys of RV ownership!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

Doubting it is the windshield... But what is the answer?

I don't think it is the windshield... But i have the exact same issue. Anyone ever solve this mystery?

Our RV was sitting in medium amount of rain last night. Driving today, clear water came from the visor and center light. It is not looking like it is stored there as the fabric is not wet.

It has done this before. No idea where it is coming from.
TimisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #7

I think there was another thread where the gasket on the marker lights or what ever they are called on top of the cab failed or wasn't installed at all.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I think there was another thread where the gasket on the marker lights or what ever they are called on top of the cab failed or wasn't installed at all.
Do you have a link? Looking now.
TimisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #9

Post 15 of the following link. The dealer fixed his leak under warranty.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ues-53683.html
Old 11-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #10

Leak was cracked cab metal

Right after we picked up our 2008 Melbourne from the RV dealer we found a leak on the E-450's drivers side windshield. Closer inspection showed that the prior owner had attempted to fix it, unsuccessfully.

I couldn't see any obvious problems with the seal, but since it was leaking past the seal, I decided to get the seal replaced. I found that the seal is not available by itself. $179 to reset the gasket, with no warranty for leaking. Or $279 for a new windshield and gasket. A no brainer.

After Don's Mobile Glass removed the windshield, he found some rust under the gasket. Further inspection found a crack in the metal of the cab about 6" long. Also, the passenger side has a small crack developing.

Driving to the body shop without the windshield was interesting. They welded the cracks and repainted the body ($360). Don's installed the new windshield at the body shop.

Body man said that he has seen several Ford SuperDuty cabs that had these stress cracks in the windshield frame.
Powdrhound is offline   Reply With Quote